PDA

View Full Version : roost guard or pressure suit?

spence365
24-03-2014, 09:11 PM
So I'm just deciding whether to go for another pressure suit, maybe the 3df airfit, but also toying with a normal roost protector.

When you read the reviews people say they get good protection from a normal roost protector.

The ones with the shoulder guards, how good are they if you hit the deck on your shoulder in comparison to a pressure suit? Do they spread the load like a pressure suit or are they just for stopping a handle bar in the chest or people roosting you with rocks?

If they are ok, what is a good one to go for?

The fox racing airframe roost protector looks ok...

25-03-2014, 06:22 AM
How many different threads do we want on this topic at the moment?

Roost guards deflect stones and dirt that get thrown at you from the back wheels of other people's bikes, aka: Roost.
Pressure suits, safety jackets, etc are a one piece suit that combine the functions of roost guard, spine protector, shoulder pads, elbow guards and usually kidney belt. They are more bulky, restrictive and hot, but offer better protection.

Signed,
Captain Obvious.

surfingboyo
25-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Motocross or firetrails >>> roost guard.
All other trail riding >>> pressure suit.

Benny Amaha
25-03-2014, 07:35 AM
A pressure suit is only good if you wear it. If it's too hot you might find yourself not wearing it and wishing you had the roost protector.

I've used roost protectors for around 10 years now and they do protect your from sharp rocks on hill climb falls etc. Use elbow guards with them, a kidney belt, your back pack on and you have a similar type setup to the pressure suit, although there will be instances where the pressure suit has worked better in a crash.

I'm sure the pressure suit offers more protection, I just can't see myself wearing one religiously.

Benny Amaha
25-03-2014, 07:36 AM
How many different threads do we want on this topic at the moment?

Roost guards deflect stones and dirt that get thrown at you from the back wheels of other people's bikes, aka: Roost.
Pressure suits, safety jackets, etc are a one piece suit that combine the functions of roost guard, spine protector, shoulder pads, elbow guards and usually kidney belt. They are more bulky, restrictive and hot, but offer better protection.

Signed,
Captain Obvious.

might as well close down DBW folks, everythings been covered before

twobanger
25-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I vote roost guard Spence365.

I use separate elbow guards, mines a Zac and it just fits perfect with my leatt its comfortable and deflected anything so far thats been thrown at it. I just prefer the the hard shell as opposed to the soft chest pieces of a suit.

p.s have had a shoulder injury but i'm not sure if the suit would change things.

cheers

panhead_pete
25-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Pressure suit - mine is well used. In summer I wear a singlet under it and nothing over it and its OK heat wise.

I know others have been saved by a roost guard when a stick has tried to enter their chest but when you go over the bars and into a deep rut with your bike landing on top of you and driving you into the dirt you'll be happy that you have the back protector offered in the suit.

Jakobi
25-03-2014, 08:30 AM
I've used both setups and feel much cooler, comfortable, and equally as safe using a roost guard coupled up with elbow guards and a neck brace. Full pressure suits are hot, stick to your body, and unless you get a quality one its very likely that it'll blow the zips out in no time. Elbow guards also go through the wash with the rest of the gear! Only issue is in the wet they can have a tendancy to slide down while riding.

Grylls
25-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Have a look at the Acerbis Cosmo. Might be the best of both worlds.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

tmac450
25-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Pressure suit for me in all weather.

Better protection and more comfortable.

As for the heat, just HTFU:o

spence365
25-03-2014, 09:50 AM
I guess my main concern is if you wack your shoulder going past a tree, or come off and land on your shoulder.

But I reckon it would be easier to jump on and go for a strap if your putting a roost guard over your jersey rather than pulling on your odorous pressure suit before putting on your jersey...

panhead_pete
25-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I guess my main concern is if you wack your shoulder going past a tree, or come off and land on your shoulder.

But I reckon it would be easier to jump on and go for a strap if your putting a roost guard over your jersey rather than pulling on your odorous pressure suit before putting on your jersey...

Yeah that putting on appropriate safety gear is a drag.

Jakobi
25-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Heat is such a personal thing in how it effects people and their ability to shed it. I see the op is in SA, so their heat likely varies a lot from what we get up here at the other end of the country. Its more the humidity that causes issues over anything else, and the pressure suits just further add to that muggy clingy sticky unable to breath experience.

Today, which feels quite cool for example is already 24C with 85% humidity, and we're expecting a top of 28. Perfect riding conditions! But no fun in the rainforest at walking pace when locked down in 3 layers of clothing. I'd rather ride in whats comfortable (yet still offers a decent level of protection) than HTFU and ride in something hot and restrictive, or not ride at all.

Also, remember a lot of those shoulder impacts are the ones that cause collarbone breakages. I don't think the little caps on the body armour that sit over your shoulders really do a whole lot unless protecting from a direct impact on the shell (ie falling onto a rock).

Auspowersports
25-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I've tried all three options, pressure suit, body armour and no armour.

The pressure suit I found to big and bulky, especially trying to for a neck brace with it. I found it restricted my range if motion, which I found dangerous. The benefit of the pressure suit being your body is a lot safer from sticks and impacts. It won't do much to stop shoulder injuries I.e torn muscles

The body armour was kind of the same deal struggling to find one that works well with a neck brace, with reducing my range of movement. The armour is more protective for roost and sticks, but no where near as good as the pressure suit.

No armour is a bit scary at first, but it is the only way I can ride comfortably in the heat. The downfall is you feel everything from trees to roost to the ground. But I feel it helps me feel lighter and more free on the bike.

Haggis
25-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I had a shoulder injury while wearing a Zac roost guard with backpack system, had me off the bike for 2 months. The shoulder pieces on a roost guard just stick straight out and don't cup the shoulder like a pressure suit does.

I now wear a Acerbis Koerta pressure suit, big wide webbing for maximum airflow and wear a Skins shirt underneath which helps with cooling. I've been wearing this for a couple of years now with no issues at all and feel much safer in it than I would in a roost guard.

Grylls
25-03-2014, 11:37 AM
It might take a little longer to get a pressure suit on than a roost plate but you should at least be wearing some elbow guards which will take time to put on as well.

My brother had a stack the other weekend with just the roost plate on. His jersey rolled up as his arm hit the ground and grazed all up his forearm and elbow. He would have been fine with a pressure suit or at the least elbow guards.

If you want something that you can just throw over a jersey then maybe you should look at the Tekvest range. They cover your ribs up better than most other brands. A lot of the time your elbow can get pushed into your ribs in an accident.

Apparently the freestyle model is the coolest but doesn't fit with neck braces. I'm sure an Atlas could go over the top or a neck roll for some comfort. The othes with 'MAX' in the name will take a Leatt .They aren't cheap but either is time off work.

You'd still need some elbow guards with these as well. From other DBW threads I've read the EVS ones get a good wrap.

Also I don't think the shoulder cups do much. They stop abrasions but probably don't do a lot to help stop shoulder injuries from the force of the accident. Just my opinion though I could be wrong.

Jakobi
25-03-2014, 11:43 AM
From the few posts here the only clear conclusion is to wear what is practical and what you feel comfortable with. No protective equipment is going to save you in every off, and at times certain things may complicate issues. Thats just how it is. A lot of this sport revolves around confidence, so as long as you gel with what you have on and are happy with the level of protection it offers, that is the main thing.

The rest is personal preference.

spence365
25-03-2014, 11:58 AM
toying with the idea of attaching the shoulder guards from my old pressure suit to a roost guard.

The forearms and elbows are stuffed, so I normally wear elbow guards with the pressure suit.

Grylls
25-03-2014, 12:08 PM
If you didn't look at the Acerbis Cosmo then here's an image. Pretty much what you are talking about.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/25/hu7upesa.jpg

stuball
25-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I figure no amount of protection will completely eliminate all injuries but wearing something that reduces the chances as much as possible is the best option. In this case it comes with a compromise of increased heat and restriction. As Jakobi said it comes down to your preference and perception of the risks.

My pressure suit has plenty of chunks out the hard plastic on the forearms that would have been my forearm if I had just worn a roost guard.

Mescaline
25-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I had a pressure suit and wore it for a while, but I have gone back to my old shift jacket with big vents.
I didn't like wearing a pressure suit, I found it too bulky and uncomfortable but I did persist with it in the Brisbane summer heat.
Now living in sth nsw I wear a jacket all year round. It still gets hot but not as humid and the style of riding I have been doing is a bit more flowing and less hill climbs.
When I get a smaller bike I will revisit the pressure suits, having recently rediscovered a passion for those things gnarly :)

Grylls
25-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Here another option to wear under a roost plate.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-hybrid-shirt?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6146961&PublisherName=VigLink

kawasaki glenn
25-03-2014, 06:30 PM
I always wanted full protection but in the QLD heat I suffered and found I came off the bike more due to heat and fatigue,swapped over to using an EVS roost guard with shoulder cups and some seperate elbow guards and found that combination to be just right,I don't fall off as much and I have more movement without a bulky pressure suit.

Have also crash tested quite a few times and a few trips over the bars wearing the roost guard and no injurys,I tend to fall off the most when doing rocky hillclimbs so for me it protects just fine,I guess Ill change if I happen to get injured and the roost guard doesn't work,as said by Jakobi I think everyone is affected by heat differently and some people will have to sacrifice a little protection for comfort

rabskyline
25-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Wore a 661 for a couple of times, too hot and restrictive.
Replaced with roost protector and elbow pads which was more comfy , I've since went down to just mx shirt and back pack for tools and water etc, keeps me more honest.

Grylls
25-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Maybe you could have a look at the Leatt 5.5 Pro HD. It has really good rib protection that a lot of pressure suits fail to have. There is also the Alpinestar A8 which is similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

wence
25-03-2014, 07:46 PM
My cats breath smells like cat food

Go the Pressure suit mate and don't look back^alc

^roost^rockon

spence365
26-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I always wanted full protection but in the QLD heat I suffered and found I came off the bike more due to heat and fatigue,swapped over to using an EVS roost guard with shoulder cups and some seperate elbow guards and found that combination to be just right,I don't fall off as much and I have more movement without a bulky pressure suit.

Have also crash tested quite a few times and a few trips over the bars wearing the roost guard and no injurys,I tend to fall off the most when doing rocky hillclimbs so for me it protects just fine,I guess Ill change if I happen to get injured and the roost guard doesn't work,as said by Jakobi I think everyone is affected by heat differently and some people will have to sacrifice a little protection for comfort

was this the one? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2322/33005/EVS-Revolution-5-Under-Jersey-Roost-Deflector-2014

Can you wear it without a singlet under it? Seems it doesnt go over the jersey...

rabskyline
26-03-2014, 02:03 PM
was this the one? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2322/33005/EVS-Revolution-5-Under-Jersey-Roost-Deflector-2014

Can you wear it without a singlet under it? Seems it doesnt go over the jersey...

Thin cotton T shirt to prevent joggers nipple, very sore.

Looks great though ! :)

The EVS elbow pads are as tough as nails and comfyish.

Jimmeh
26-03-2014, 02:18 PM
I used to wear a pressure suit but now wear a Fox Airframe and leave my arms free. The thought of going back to a pressure suit makes me cringe now. I've had plenty of stacks since (it's been a few years) and some have been big but no probs that would have been solved by a pressure suit. It's funny because I kept smacking/brushing my shoulder on trees in tight single track when I went to the airframe but I soon learnt from that. I think with the pressure suit I became a bit blase.

kawasaki glenn
26-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Mine is this one here...

http://www.stblazeymx.co.uk/shop/381386/evs-revo-5-chest-protector.aspx

Very light weight,I just wear a long sleeved compression top and the roost guard and seperate elbow guards and that's it

spence365
27-03-2014, 12:43 PM
another one I'm looking at http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2322/44649/Leatt-Brace-5.5-Pro-Roost-Deflector?0&_=1395872332985

Jimmeh
27-03-2014, 01:19 PM
another one I'm looking at http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2322/44649/Leatt-Brace-5.5-Pro-Roost-Deflector?0&_=1395872332985

I just clicked on that and realised it is the Fox proframe I wear not the airframe. ^rof Not that you probably care that much. :grinning-

Anyway, FYI shoulder pads are what girls used to wear back in the 80's. ^skl

Grylls
27-03-2014, 01:25 PM

That's what I'm looking at getting as well just the HD model as it has better rib protection. The shoulder pads are removable if you decide you don't want to use them as well. Seems like they are reasonably vented, offer good protection and fit a neck brace. That's a win for me.

Grylls
22-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I ended up with the Leatt 5.5 HD Pro and 5.5 neck brace combo. I also got a set of the 3DF elbow pads for a bit more protection. Its a lot better than the other roost plate I had before. I feel a lot safer and its very comfortable. The neck brace isn't restrictive at all. I highly recommend this combo.

Chlowen
22-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I ended up with the Leatt 5.5 HD Pro and 5.5 neck brace combo. I also got a set of the 3DF elbow pads for a bit more protection. Its a lot better than the other roost plate I had before. I feel a lot safer and its very comfortable. The neck brace isn't restrictive at all. I highly recommend this combo.

I went the same way, had my first ride with it yesterday, as soon as I started riding I forgot I had it on. I've been riding with a preasure suit for the last 3 years and the transition to my first neck brace was great, I purchased the fox titan elbow guards and wear them on the outside of my jersey, I feel protected and unrestricted with this combo, very happy.

DRZ-400
22-04-2014, 11:55 PM
does the leatt 3df pressure suits have a integrated kidney belt or not

slideshowbob
22-04-2014, 11:59 PM
does the leatt 3df pressure suits have a integrated kidney belt or not

Def not DRZ.

twobanger
23-04-2014, 10:00 AM

The 3df elbow pads there the soft outer ones ? I was looking at the two leatt elbow pads options not sure which of those two. I wear them outside the gerseys as well, the leatt gear seems well put together though.

DRZ-400
23-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Is there any pressure suits that have a kidney belt integrated into them ??

Chlowen
23-04-2014, 09:24 PM

My old Fox Titan does, but it didn't fit well with my neck brace. The Leatt Pressure suit does.

Hammy
23-04-2014, 09:48 PM

The diannese and alpinestars bionic pressure suits do

Full Monty
23-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Just got back from 4 straight days at Anglesea. Wore the 3dF riding each day, ...its so comfortable its a joke.

I got back today to the site, and fully stripped down and washed the bike (1hr). Then realised I was still wearing it. hahaha could wear it all day.

it was a little nipply at 7am this morning, wearing just that and a jersey, wind does indeed go through it.

Still havent tested it proper with a decent hit.

Grylls
23-04-2014, 10:33 PM
The 3df elbow pads there the soft outer ones ? I was looking at the two leatt elbow pads options not sure which of those two. I wear them outside the gerseys as well, the leatt gear seems well put together though.

Yeah the 3df are the soft ones. They are comfy and look like they'll last a while as well. I'm pretty keen on the Leatt gear at the moment.