PDA

View Full Version : KLX250/300 White Brothers Exhaust on EBAY

Seahorse
15-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I just picked up a White Brothers E Series Exhaust for my KLX250 on Ebay for $US 150. Not a bad price considering the RRP in US is $350 :D

For anyone who is interested the seller has just listed another....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561681504

Including freight of around $US50....I am looking at a total cost of $Au 275...Delivered..!!

The unit also comes with a White Brothers Air filter as a bonus ;)

Seahorse

blogs
15-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I just got one from this same guy aswell for my WR450!!! I paid $248 AUD delivered. Absolutely awesome-got here in seven days and was still in its wrapper, came with all the bits and even a free airfilter!! Couldnt recomend more. Now I just need to work out wether to run it without the end cap or with how many of the tuning discs........

sdr
18-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Seahorse,

What's the Db rating on these things? I've heard it's a little on the high side for road/off road riding?

Seahorse
18-07-2005, 10:19 AM
From what I have read, the White brothers exhaust emits a similar amount of sound pressure as a standard KLX exhaust with the "plug" removed.

Unfortunately, the exhaust on my 2004 model KLX250 is fully seal welded so I cannot perform this modification..bugger !!!!!

This White Brothers system comes with 12 "Tuning" discs...I am hoping it should be simply a matter of adding discs until the sound levels are acceptable.

Personally, I am not in favour of loud exhausts, but I am also hoping that I do not have to add too many tuning discs...this will only negate any performance benefits of the pipe.

I was looking at the StainTune site the other day and it appears that pipes/bikes should now have a plate displaying dB ratings...Evidently the police have the right to stop you and request to sight this plate. My opinion is to not attract their attention in the first place.....

Perhaps other riders who are currently terrorising their neighbourhoods/bushlands with unrestricted exhausts should be aware of this. It will only be a matter of time before they are caught/fined. In the meantime they are doing irreperable damage to the image of responsible dirt bike riders.

Seahorse

sdr
18-07-2005, 10:44 AM
No worries, I was just wondering, as I heard on a few other forums that the E series is quite ummm how do you say....noticable?

Seahorse
20-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Below is a quote from Planet KLX...............

"White Brothers E-Series Muffler Stock Head Pipe

Pros:
Acceptable noise level.
White Bros. E-Series muffler is quieter than stock muffler without the end plate.
White Bros. E-Series muffler is about one pound lighter than the stock muffler.

Cons:
White Bros. E-Series muffler provides no power gain over stock muffler with end plate removed."

So, fingers crossed I should end up with a performance increase without any undue increase in noise levels. Plus my original "stock" exhaust system will remain intact if required at a later date.

Hopefully this enhancement will not draw any unnecessary attention from the local police or EPA......or even the neighbours!!!!!!!

Regards
Seahorse

Seahorse
21-07-2005, 12:49 PM
My White Brothers pipe arrived in the mail today!!!! Less than a week for delivery from USA...!! (Australia Post..take notice..!!)

Fitting was a piece of cake with everything provided except for a new gasket.

My original gasket was still pretty soft, so I simply used it.

All up, less than ten minutes from start to finish.

The pipe comes with all 12 tuning disks installed. According to the literature supplied this gives 1.68 Cubic inches of flow. On start up this gives an exhaust note that I consider to be too loud for suburban riding...others may differ. It was certainly a lot quieter than I expected however.

Anyway, no problem...I simply removed five of the tuning disks (as recommended on some of the other Internet KLX sites), re-lubed the screws with some nickel anti-sieze (provided) and fired the bike up again....yep, certainly a lot quieter, but still with an "authoritative" 4-stroke growl....unlike the original "Nancy-Boy" pipe supplied by Kawasaki.

Using seven disks should give approximately 1.35 cubic inches of flow.

Took the bike for a ride around my neighbourhood and gave it a "Blat" outside the local primary school where the mums were just picking up the kids...nobody bothered looking... so I think to myself..it mustn't be too bad. (NO...I didn't exceed 40kph)

The bike certainly felt/sounded different....pulled 6th gear and accelerated up the hill I normally have to drop back to 5th on. However I will reserve my final seat of the pants evaluation till I have spent a day on it out in the bush.

Is it worth $275..??....In my opinion YES.!!. Plus the fact that I have a "Stock" exhaust as insurance, sitting in my garage....A good back up for when "stealth" mode is required or simply for getting through a hassle free rego inspection.

The Ebay transaction was hassle free, with super fast delivery...(makes you wonder why we have to wait so long when we order things from our local bike shop). The only bit of nit-picking I would have is with his delivery cost..he charged $50 on Ebay but actual cost was $44...I guess there has to be a little costing for overheads!!. The pipe arrived in the original sealed White Brothers box and included a free air filter...so at least I have a box and packaging to store my original muffler in.

The documentation provided suggests that on a KLX300 there is a 3.1Hp increase. Further increases of an additional 1.4 Hp if a WB head pipe is installed. If a Mikuni carb and some other internal mods carried out you should see all up 35.5 Hp.

Evidently opening up the airbox and some re-jetting along with the WB exhaust system should result in a power increase of 5Hp over stock.....Next step for me will be a DonoJet kit...now it's time to start saving the pocket money again..!!!

Seahorse

Seahorse
27-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Just did a quick sound level test using a trusty "Realistic" (Tandy) Sound Level Meter.

Setting the RPM to 3000 and measuring out 500mm at an angle of 45 degrees to the exhaust resulted in a reading of 94Db..

I realise that this result may not be as accurate as those given by a professional "calibrated" meter....but it would give a pretty close approximation.

Seahorse