PDA

View Full Version : Road bikes anyone??

ELX
29-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey guys,
Im going to be getting a road bike soon (yes of course im keeping my dirtbike!). Anyway i know i few of us DBWers have road bikes, but i was just wondering how many do. If you've got one let us all know, why not include i pic (assuming you have one that is). Im looking at getting a cbr or fzr250, but i wish i was looking at getting an r1 like this :o (I think batman may have stolen my idea tho!)

http://www.cdtip.sk/htm/menu_moto/sportove/2005-YZF-R6-Black.jpg

KDXer
29-11-2005, 03:16 AM
That be an R6.

Why a 250cc ?? License restrictions ??

Have you looked at the Aprillia's. The 125's are alot of fun. I don't own anything ATM but have riden a few different models including an 05 CBR600RR, 2000 GSXR750, late 90's GSXR1100 and a 916 duke.

cmg
29-11-2005, 07:16 AM
and Yamaha stuffed the paint job on that R6, think they painted it looking in the mirror ;)

I had a ZX9R, you can look at my website to see it if you want
this is my mates R1, only had 136kms on it when I rode it, cant wait till he brings it back run in.

green kawa
29-11-2005, 07:34 AM
1997 Kawasaki ZX7R - Road/Track
(Full Muzzy System/+4 Ignition Adv/BMC Filter/Vortex Race Clipons)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/GlennLucas/Ose_0602.jpg

Cal
29-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Yep, I have an '02 954 FireBlade (for sale) and a '99 R6 that I race.

PageyXR
29-11-2005, 08:54 AM
CBR 600 RR - Honda all the way ^roost

KLX Lundo
29-11-2005, 09:20 AM
My first road bike was an FZR250, I would suggest that the CBR, FZR and ZXR are all similar in performance, but the CBR would be the pick of the bunch. They were Australian delivered for a time whilst the rest are grey import only. They all redline at around 18,000. The CBR has slightly sweeter handling and the power is smoother throughout the rev range.
The FZR doesn't have as much bottom end as the CBR and the throttle response is a little slower at midrange. Max power is at about 16,000 which is a pain, because in 6th that is right at the 180 kph speed limiter, the bike still feels like it has a bit to go and then stops getting faster. The main straight at Eastern Creek feels very long when bigger bikes are ripping past you at well over 200 k's. :o
Last roadbike was a big yellow Honda VTR - gotta love that V-Twin mumbo :D But it is gone now and won't be on a roadbike for a while ^frt
And can't post pics until club mud membership opens

C unit
29-11-2005, 09:37 AM
hey if your stuck to a 250 limit get an rgv or an nsr 250 the best 250's ever the aprilia rs 250 is just an rgv made to look like a *** stupid italians

rgv's are cheap as hell and really easy to source parts for because so many learners had them and didn't realise what band was for until they were too scared to ride them again

blogs
29-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Had a 2002 R1, sexy as hell and fun fun fun!! However believe all the stories you hear about dickhead drivers not seeing you-I got taken out in the clasic 'guy pulls out from side street and doesnt see you even though there is absolutely no trees, sign or obsticals in the way and the fact that your headlight is so freaking bright that your retinas are burnt doesnt help?. They are dangerous as hell and your chances of being killed are very high.

That being said I would have another one in a second (waiting for the family/wife to forget last accident and save some coin). I supoose its like all bikes in general, you just love em and thats all there is to it.

rossf650dakar
29-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Love those MG Agustas. Just lurv them.

But for me, it's a ZZR1100, just completed mech makeover, now ready for respray in harlequin paint.

This baby will turn heads!

Verno
29-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I have 2000 'blade for the street and a 99 R6 for the track.
I'm looking for a dirt bike which is why I have been hanging out
here for a while.

I started off with a CBR 250RR, great little bike when we were limited
to a 250. If I had to buy a L's / P's bike right now I would find it
hard to go past a RVF400, hi-tech V4 that sound great and will smoke
many other bikes in the right hands, but not too much weight or power.

If your a big guy then it may be too small but if not you should check it out.

Cal
29-11-2005, 10:30 AM
They are dangerous as hell and your chances of being killed are very high.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I've been road riding for 20 years now and as far as I know i'm still here.

Rob67
29-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Classic-My first bike was a Kwak KMX125 (Road version!), so dirt bikes are in the blood I suppose! Then a Honda CBR600FT, Kwak ZX9R, Honda CBR 600FS Track bike, Kwak ZX12R (Scary unrestriced souped-up beast 190mph/304kms + speeds-I Know had it on the Autobahn at 196Mph and had a Porsche behind me flashing it's headlights for me to move over!). A Harley Fatboy with all the bells and whistles-got bored with that and wanted a crotch rocket again, at same time got a Honda XR650 (Beaut Hillclimbing tractor!). Then traded the Harley for a '04 Yam R1, nearly lost my licence and soiled my shorts a couple of times, Came down a notch and got a Beemer 1150GS Adventure (Wanna tour Oz!) & a KTM520EXC. Which I will have to hang on to, as the Mrs is getting sick of my obsession and I'm running out of excuses as to why I need another new bike! (The '06 Ducati's look hot- can only dream!). Best advice I got was to gradually build up experience on lower powered bikes, before getting a more powerful bike! It's happened too often, new riders finished their P's and then go out and get a bike they cannot handle and end up a statistic. With all the accidents I've had, some other Bugger was involved and caused it- be careful out there Mate. Ride paranoid and survive the trip!!

ELX
29-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Haha, some great stories and bikes. I definetly dont want to be a statistic. I just have to very aware and careful. But yea, i can only get up to a 250cc on my learners. I was looking at the nsr250's and rgv250's cunit but being a 2 stroke will they like being ridden everyday for little trips? Just seems like if there like dirt 2 strokes there gonna be alot more fussy, need more work more often ect.

blogs
29-11-2005, 12:17 PM
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I've been road riding for 20 years now and as far as I know i'm still here.

Mate its sad but true, you may be one of the lucky ones, though it also depends a lot on where you ride-I rode for years around the country etc without even a hint of trouble. Ride around Springvale road etc and your days seem to be numbered. The sad fact is the world is full of morons, and these morons drive cars, and these cars have dumb arse accidents, and if one of these dumbarse accidents happens to be with a bike then....

I used to think like you, and liked to think I could always avoid an 'accident'. The day I got hit the guy looked right at me....and pulled out anyway!!!! How do you avaoid that? i will still get another road bike though, but primarily for the track.

Rob67
29-11-2005, 12:35 PM
As always when it comes to bikes - it depends on your budget and what's about when you go to buy! Personally I would prefer a four stroke, as rebuilds are less frequent and you don't have to buy expensive good quality 2strk oil for the duration of your ownership! But saying that if you fancy a track day, or occasional short rides and had the funds- an Aprillia RS250 would be the go. They handle like they're on rails, embarrass bigger bikes in the twisties and hold their value pretty good, when you trade in for an upgrade-Oh and look horny! But that's just my preference! If buying second hand:- you're safer with a Dealer as you have some comeback if it goes seriously wrong, but pay a premium for the pleasure-or bring a Mechanic Mate with you, when you buy privately!! Sounds like you're the sellers wet dream as you don't have a bike to trade in, so you have the upper hand when it comes to bargaining, as their are sh#t loads of s/h bikes out their! Try: www.bikepoint.com.au or www.bikesales.com.au. Hope this helps!

C unit
29-11-2005, 01:08 PM
one thing that is against you right now is the time of the year bikes are always more expencive leading upto summer the good deals are just before winter or at the end of financial year because people will try and ofload the bikes they don't want anymore after the riding "season" and start looking for a new one so the market gets flooded with all sorts of bike. it's also around the time when everyone who got their l's during summer because of holidays will try to sell their 250's to upgrade to a new bike

i still say if it's for fun get a 2t and for commuting get a 4t anything they are all pretty much the same except for riding position

eXc
29-11-2005, 01:35 PM
I had an FZR 250 and loved it. I would go a CBR 250 though if I was smaller. But if you're a tank like me, IMO the fizzer is heaps better

Hoges
29-11-2005, 01:38 PM
just be carefull i you get a suzuki my gsxr1000 had a bad problem with the brakes

keenas
29-11-2005, 01:41 PM
just be carefull i you get a suzuki my gsxr1000 had a bad problem with the brakes

Is that really you in the pic Hoges ??

If so how long have you been riding bikes for ??

ELX
29-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Im pretty small, so something small and light would be best. The cbr is better than the fzr in that respect isnt it?

Hoges
29-11-2005, 01:51 PM
sure is i have been riding for about 20 years. just wish i ride the wr as good as the roadie. ^roost

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Im pretty small, so something small and light would be best. The cbr is better than the fzr in that respect isnt it?

mate i would go the cbr if you can find a good one. I had a few mates that had them and flogged them for 20,000 + klms. I have seen a fair few fzr's with blown botom ends. There are a few bigger bikes that are learner legal now i think you can ride bikes like a sv660 so look into what bigger bikes you can ride before buying a 250

keenas
29-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Hoges that was wicked

Post up some more shots

Go on you know we all want to see them

keenas
29-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Hoges my mate just bought a Suzuki GSXR600 2001 model with 9,000km looks still brand new for $8,000 is that a good deal ??

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:05 PM
there are a couple more here http://www.tastesfruity.com/hoges.htm

keenas
29-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Looks the goods

More pics please

Loving them

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:11 PM
yeah that seems like a good price check out this site i often use it as a guide http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/home.php

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't have that many pics have a fair bit of video fottage though will have to learn how to post it up one day

ELX
29-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Hoges, here in QLD there's a 250cc restriction :(

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:37 PM
ah that sucks man.Can you ride RGV/NSR ???????

Knopey
29-11-2005, 02:42 PM
In NSW you can't, on your restricted licence...

C unit
29-11-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah in qld we can ride them greatest bike ever i'd steer towards a rgv because the nsr is fairly rare for parts and such but rgv's are common as hell at wreckers

ELX
29-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Yea we can ride ANYTHING under 250cc. So rgv's and nsr's are fine. But if i want something relaible, sensible, and am only going fairly short distances, not racing, going to tracks ect. Isn't a 2 stroke a bit pointless?

Hoges
29-11-2005, 02:57 PM
go the cbr250. there are also a few naked bikes that are usually a fair bit cheeaper and are fun to ride. My bro had a Honda spada went ok dosn't look as good as the cbr's ect but if you drop the full fairing bikes they cost heaps to fix

vanbrooky
29-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Have you considered the Honda VTR250 - a friend of mine has one and its a really nice bike and goes really well for a 250 and also has a good note.

I got lucky with having a gold drivers licence and was able to go straight off my L's to unrestricted. I currently have a Triumph TT600 and love it.

Its not as quick off the mark as the GSX or the CBR but the handling is better. Had a ZX6 and it was a pig. No matter what Ian says about my Trumpy. It also has class!! ^ton

Good luck with whatever you decide on - lets be honest - it will have 2 wheels and there isn't much out there with 2 wheels which doesn't make anyone smile.

PeteW
29-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd stick with the 4t 250's there ELX, RGV/NSR's are getting a bit long in the tooth and most bof the one getting around down here seem to be time bombs waiting to go off. A good CBR will last you for your restriction and will hold its value when you go to upgrade. My CBR400 is now over 100,000 k's old and still kicking.

asa572
29-11-2005, 07:49 PM
the nsr is fairly rare for parts and such

Theres a bloke in QLD with a business called Grey Import Spares
that has most consumables for NSR's, good on prices too.I had
an NSR when I was on my L's and it was good for getting around
on.

HuskysquiD
29-11-2005, 08:13 PM
M8, Ive been riding road bikes for over 12years, as my main transport.... and quiet frankly 2t sux on the road... fantastic on the track and on the dirt but on the road, in traffic, in peak hour..... :vomit-smi

In NSW it's restriction limit of 150kw/tonne.... well thats what it was last time I checked... Ive introduced a fair few newbies to road riding, and I recon you should always buy the bike that make you drool...

If you restricted to 250cc.... that suxs but I would go a CBR250 for sure... nice bike.... stay away from the "grey" imports... get one that was sold in Aus... then you should never have any problems getting parts and services.....

If $$ are short think about one of the two cylinder 250cc 4t, like the ZZR250, they are cheaper to service, and realistically, a 250cc 4t has f@#k all power anyway so your m8 on the cbr250 is not going to dissapear off into the distance from the traffic lights!!!!

Have fun, and ride safe!!!!

P.S. heres my ride....

HuskysquiD
29-11-2005, 08:14 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bluear/mainpic1.jpg

blu

HuskysquiD
29-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Have you considered the Honda VTR250 - a friend of mine has one and its a really nice bike and goes really well for a 250 and also has a good note.

:bourb

asa572
29-11-2005, 08:50 PM
M8, Ive been riding road bikes for over 12years, as my main transport.... and quiet frankly 2t sux on the road... fantastic on the track and on the dirt but on the road, in traffic, in peak hour..... :vomit-smi

Each to there own :violent-s

HuskysquiD
29-11-2005, 08:53 PM
yup..... I did own a rgv for a year, but true.... each to their own!!

peteDRZ
30-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Vtr250's make for great learner bikes. Can handle being dropped without costing big dollars
The cbr250's ect make for good bike to learn how to ride a sports bike.

i loved my rgv's and kR1250 that i had but i was only using them for sports riding on the weekend and track work.
No good for getting around the place.

This was my last bike 2003 R1......hmmm im really missing it of late. Sold it to buy my drz...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/peterdrz/Ror.jpg

Ivan
30-11-2005, 09:13 PM
ELK, mate check out Q-Ride. around $250 and viola OPEN licence.

KLX Lundo
30-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I had a CB250 as a loan bike whilst getting my Firestorm serviced one time.
I got dragged off by a schoolbus taking ten year old girls to sport. :eek:
Topped out at 120 max downhill on the M2.
I imagine that GN Suzi's aren't much better.
Wasn't funny at the time but I laughed about it later, maybe it wasn't run it yet and still a bit tight, only had 30k's on the clock when I picked it up.
ZZR's and Across's haven't impressed when I have had loaners (but neither have ZR7's and GSX750's and ER5's)
I'd say as a general rule, 250 twins couldn't pull skin off custard, but CBR-RR's, FZR-R's and ZXR's are pretty good machines.
Have fun.....

Knopey
30-11-2005, 09:42 PM
I had a CB250 as a loan bike whilst getting my Firestorm serviced one time.
I got dragged off by a schoolbus taking ten year old girls to sport. :eek:
Topped out at 120 max downhill on the M2.
I imagine that GN Suzi's aren't much better.
Wasn't funny at the time but I laughed about it later, maybe it wasn't run it yet and still a bit tight, only had 30k's on the clock when I picked it up.
I had a CB250 RS as my 1st road bike. It was weelll and truly run in, and hmmm, nope, that sounds about right! ^rof

ELX
30-11-2005, 10:53 PM
PeteDRZ, thats an awsome picture. Is that you??? I would have kept the R1, haha. Ivan i wish that were so, but i still cant get my open licsnse till im 17. Even if i finish the course at 16 and a half.

krisden
30-11-2005, 11:48 PM
this is what i rode on my "L"s Super fast in its day and only a 250

Col105
01-12-2005, 12:10 AM
My neighbour buys, does up & resells road bikes & is going to put 5 beasts on ebay in 1 auction winner takes 1st pick of Kawa zzr1200, suzi sv1000s or 650 burgman scooter, Honda CBR900RR & a BMW st1100?, all late model top cond with long rego, have a look next week or 2, Col CM?nowgot5, cause I bought a postie bike today for teaching learners 2 ride

ELX
01-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey krisden, sweet bike. Looks great. What year was it? Also how did you find it for commuting? In traffic, the cbd ect? Was it fairly maintenace/trobule free and reliable? Looks really nice tho.

eXc
01-12-2005, 09:40 AM

Probably? I rode a (only 1) CBR250 before I got the FZR and I didn't think it was anywhere near as good nor quick. If you're small you'd get a newer CBR (lates 90s) that would be better then the FZR I would assume?

I'd probably get a FZR600 if I was getting another road bike, just so you get an idea of how much I liked it :)

C unit
01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
my rgv was a 95 that looks like a 90-91 i didn't mind them at all in the cbd and through traffic i would if i could spend more dosh get another one but i need something cheap as chips like only a grand

i loved mine so you will get a biased opinion from me they are more fun then a bar full of naked chics and you larn very quickly how to ride them i guess in that respect if you don't have very much 2t experience they would be really hard to ride

i would get one if i were you

ELX
01-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok, well you've convinced me that they ride well. Which i assume they would anyway. I would really like both out, but thats pretty much impossible unfortunatly. But aside from the way they ride, whats the maintenance like c-unit? Didi you have any trobule from it? Or day in day out, it started and ran fine? Also, dont tell me there a kickstart!

C unit
01-12-2005, 01:50 PM
dude only cars and girls bikes have elec start so yes they are kick start

i had no maintenace trouble with mine but i knew the bike and the owner before i bought it and yes they do need to be rebuilt more often but who cares so does your dirt bike

i did have trouble with mine as discussed in another topic that ended up heated it was because i used castor oil in it and then i thought i siezed it and sold it to a wrecker for nix thinking it was going to cost me 3k for a new engine yes it was my own stupid fault i realise that now

maintenace isn't a hassle the fairings are easy to get off the only thing thats hard to work on is i think called the S.P.A.C. it was the unit that mixes oil and works out the ignition timing and are really tricky to work on and remove they aren't a non mechanicley minded persons bike

second gear is really bad on the suzuki's as well becuase the action go's from a down to up shift action the selecter forks wear out quickly and need to be replaced but the gear box is a cassete type so you can just undo a couple of bolts and slide it out

here is a website with more info then you can poke a stick at but it's british and apperently all their bikes are japanese grey imports where as ours were all australian dealer bikes and are tottally non restricted

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/

OutbreakMonkey
01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I owned an NSR and had no issues commuting on it. You just have to keep the revs up a bit so it doesn't gum up too much and take it for a good long blat on the weekend.
Now I have a VTR1000F and love it. Can't beat the vtwin sound.

C unit
01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I owned an NSR and had no issues commuting on it. You just have to keep the revs up a bit so it doesn't gum up too much and take it for a good long blat on the weekend.
Now I have a VTR1000F and love it. Can't beat the vtwin sound.

there you go finally someone agree's with me although i think the nsr/rgv v twin sound is a little different to the vtr 1000f's sound

you can beat damn near any car with one too off the lights i mean und up to about 150ks then the whole wind resistance thing starts to take over

ELX
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
C-Unit, that site is awsome. Thanks for the link! Im not to worried about rebuilds, but i really want to know that it will be able to be ridden everyday, and will allways start 1st kick. Perhaps it's just all the trouble i get from the yz thats made me think 2 strokes can never be relaible. Are the rgv's alot better than the nsr's? I take it they go alot faster than the cbr's/fzr's? Whats the band like on them?

krisden
01-12-2005, 03:48 PM
C-Unit, that site is awsome. Thanks for the link! Im not to worried about rebuilds, but i really want to know that it will be able to be ridden everyday, and will allways start 1st kick. Perhaps it's just all the trouble i get from the yz thats made me think 2 strokes can never be relaible. Are the rgv's alot better than the nsr's? I take it they go alot faster than the cbr's/fzr's? Whats the band like on them?

I rode mine everyday they are realy esy to upkeep just use good oils and fuel
and dont under estimate the power band on wet days lol amd dry ones ^roost

C unit
01-12-2005, 03:59 PM
just like krisden said they are really easy to upkeep i can't gaurentee it will start first time every time but if it's kept well maintained there is no reason why it couldn't

dude power band on a road bike is something else again because all the power goes to the ground there are two cylinders pulling you and you can wind through the gears and end up doing 150 before it starts toi back off instead of 80

i like rgv's because thats what i used to have and always thought parts were hard to find for mates but as someone else said they can be sourced heaps easily if you look at the right place here is a nsr 250 site aswell its americanesse and apparently they had the same trouble as the brits did in regards to restricted bikes from the importers

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/

but look at them knowing if you get one i wont like you because you went against the almighty suzuki twice now

nah just playing but i recomend you ride one first becuase it's a tottaly new experience to riding anything else

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Yea, i do like the feel of a powerband. But from coming of lights is it hard because there is nothing until the band? Or is it diffrent for road bikes? I'd love to ride one, and a cbr, or simmilar to see what there like, but it's alot harder than trying out a dirtbike.

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:09 PM
i don't know that they go faster in a straight line then a cbr or fzr but in the right hands they will eat up twisty windy roads better then a big superbike even things like gsxr's r6's

you have to remember being a 2t when you ride them alot in band they will chew through fuel like theres a hole in the line because fuel is pretty much tipped down the manifold but at city speeds they are just as good on fuel as a cbr250rr with out the poser factor

i love them and now i think i've talked myself into getting one again look at these links
http://www.autotrader.com.au/SearchResult.asp

i think i might check them out while i'm down there

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Yea, i do like the feel of a powerband. But from coming of lights is it hard because there is nothing until the band?

thats why they invented triple plate clutches my young apprentice you just have it wound up a little more starting fast is a little bit tricky and you have to know where your bike makes good strong power and try to start around that

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Hahaha, Yea thats all makes sense. They would be alot more manuverable than a cbr too wouldnt they? I've been checking out autotrader/ bike sales/ bikepoint all morning. The nsr's/rgv's are alot cheaper than the cbr's seem to be. I spose i if i spent an hour a week going over it, replacing anything broken. I could be fine with reliability. Im a little worried about that gear selector problem with the rgv, and apprently the valves have a habbit of breaking. But i spose i could always replace them.

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
If only that one was in Brisbane, Not geelong. http://www.autotrader.com.au/photos/W7561401.jpg

disco
01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
The 2 stroke rodies are fine... I went and bought an RGV at the same time my riding buddy bought an FZR250. The FZR sounded alot better (not like a lawnmower like the RGV).. but thats where the advantages ended.

I used the RGV as a daily commuter and it was fantastic... you can actually have fun on it. With the FZR/CBR you will always be kicking the thing trying to get it to go faster. The RGV motor can actually hold it's own through the curvy stuff with the bigger bikes too if you go on any group rides.

I only really had to clutch it when i wanted to do a mono... which you can completely forget about on the FZR/CBR's.

Go the RS250, unless you are learning... but if you've ridden dirt bikes, you will be like a duck to water. Anyone can ride a roadbike :p

EDIT: If you get an RGV, try to get a steering damper... many already have them - otherwise they are quite cheap to buy. It will save you from very ugly tank slaps when you ride over railway crossings :D

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:24 PM
if you looked over it for an hour a week you would be done in half an hour and drink some rum for the other half seriuosly though once the selector fork is fixed once properly with the after market parts it "should" never need doing again and same again with the power valves but to be honest i've never heard of the valve trouble the site talks about but the gear box is a pretty common problem for australian sold bikes.

the rgv is a good engine it's what aprilia use right now for their rs 250's and lots of parts are interchangable with each other so you may just be able to find the part number for the aprilia and get those parts at much less then importing from the uk

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:27 PM
EDIT: If you get an RGV, try to get a steering damper... many already have them - otherwise they are quite cheap to buy. It will save you from very ugly tank slaps when you ride over railway crossings :D

totally agree on the tank slaps bit they have a really aggressive rake angle well i guess it isn't agressive but you get the idea which makes them heaps nimble but prone to tank slaps if you get to relaxed exiting corners

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Alright, well it seems I may have converted. Only thing left to check off the list is premix? What happens with that, i assume it mixes it on the bike? Also with that gear selector thing, is it because the stock fork is crap, or because the engine just wears them out? Liek you said, if i get an aftermarket one will i be set?

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Tank slap? I assume that will hurt my....Well, you know what im on about ;)

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:38 PM
no a tank slap is what happens when the front tyre follows a physics law i can't remember which one but something following the line of least resistance so it bounces back and forth slapping the bars against the steering stops in most cases you can get it back by slowly backing off but don't touch the brakes or your over the bars i used to have an awesome movie where a rider in the isle of man gets them doing upwards of 200ks or so and gets ejected badly

a steering dampner is just like a shock absorber for your bars and wont let large amounts of movemont happen quickly on your bars

there is a seperate tank under the pillon seat that you fill with oil it takes like a litre so there is a lot of range to them

i don't think the stock selecter is crap i just think suzuki engineers underestimated the stress they would be put under through hard acceleration

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh ok, tank slap = speed wobble in my terms haha. I'v seen lots of videos where moto gp riders seem to "catch" on turns and highside when comign back up after leaning and turning, do steering dampners prevent stuff like that also? I assume like dirt biks ones, there not realyl model specific?

C unit
01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
no a high side is different again a high side is where you break traction with the rear wheel in the form of a power slide around a corner and then the back wheel grips and the geometry of the bike's position changes quickley and ejects them over the top of the bike

then there is a low side where the front of the bike loses traction and slides away and you go with it

a steering damener for a road bike looks like a shock absorber kind of that goes from one fork leg to the frame much like this
http://www.pocketracer.com.au/prod613.htm

that is a really crap one made for pocket bikes but you get the idea

ELX
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh ok, fair enough. Do they really work? Sounding better and better all the time.

C unit
01-12-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah of course they do there is a piston inside the tube and the tube is filled with a certain low viscosity oil and the piston has a small hole in it and as you turn oil travels through one side of the piston to the other and you ride it normally but when you start to get tank slaps only a certain amount of oil will travel through the hole over a certain time so it just tries to compress it and cant and the tank slap is dampened in most cases to little more then a jolt

ELX
01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Thats awsome. Well, it does seem that a 2 stroke could suit what i want more than a thumper. Thanks for all the help guys, especially C-unit. Awsoem advice, anyway i let you know how i go. People can get back to showign off their awsoem machines now!

C unit
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
oh don't be like that ask me any question you want about them

but whatever you do, do not under any circumstances buy an nsr 150 honda have put their name on some shockers over time but this one has to be the worst really badly made (they were made in india then sent here) they look like they came from ikea or something low power the worst 2t sound ever like a lawn mower in a tin can with pebbles in it i hat ethem and they are still holding they're value aviod them like the plague

ELX
01-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Nope, im 250cc all the way! Do those oggy nobb things that rider stick on their bikes fit rgv's? Just because i see myself crashing. :rolleyes:

C unit
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah dude of course they do and also if you looking for a model to go for go a vj22 they have all round adjustable dampers and are a much better handling bike the vj 23 didn't get released in oz

asa572
01-12-2005, 08:10 PM
ELX, if you get the chance test ride a RGV and NSR.
NSR's have a much smoother power delivery and
will out handle an RGV(not as twitchy aswell).RGV
powervalves suck and have a habit of coming
in contact with the piston.The build quality of
the Honda sh1ts on the Suzuki also.

PS: MC21 model NSR's are the go :grinning-

ELX
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the insight asa. Im sure c-unit will oppose that idea. But i have no idea. Do the nsr's have any problems like the valves on the rgv's? Thanks

asa572
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Simple answer, NO.
They are a much better set up :D

peteDRZ
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
PeteDRZ, thats an awsome picture. Is that you??? I would have kept the R1, haha.

Yeah thats me up the old pacific highway.

Couldnt afford to keep the R1 as wanted to deck out the drz in motard gear. It was pretty fun to chase down the sports bike guys with but ive sold the wheels since.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/peterdrz/drzOR.bmp

ELX
01-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Yea, how much did you get for the R1? There a great bike, mind you that drz looks very trick. So asa you recon the nsr is a much better bike than the rgv? I assumed they were both very simmilar

asa572
01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
So asa you recon the nsr is a much better bike than the rgv? I assumed they were both very simmilar
Yes I do.
The similarities stop after capacity. :rr

Chewy
01-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Theres a Spada at work at the mintue with a blown big end, hasnt got too many Ks on it either.

go the cbr250. there are also a few naked bikes that are usually a fair bit cheeaper and are fun to ride. My bro had a Honda spada went ok dosn't look as good as the cbr's ect but if you drop the full fairing bikes they cost heaps to fix

hgsuzuki
01-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I am getting my licence in the next month or so, but am wondering if it is really worth the effort to bother with a 250cc roadbike at all. In Vic 250cc is the max for an L plater, but I've got my eyes on a '85 Yamaha FZ750.

I was just wondering if it is worthwhile to bother with a 250cc, and how severe the repurcussions would be for riding a roadbike without L plates, and over the engine restriction. Also, how often riding on the road have you been pulled up, without actually breaking any rules, just a "routine check"?\

cheers

ELX
01-12-2005, 11:27 PM
HG, im not to sure about vic. But here in QLD. Riding without a fully licensed rider while on a learners license is 1 demerit point, and $120. Not displaying L plates is $120 and no points. Not to sure what the bigger engine size law's are.

C unit
02-12-2005, 09:03 AM
hg suzuki it's not worth riding without the right licence i drove my car unregistered for 2 years i only got $1000 dollars worth of fines and no demerit points so i kindof saved money it would have cost at least $600 more to registere it for that long but now i have a driving conviction against me and if something happens thats not even my fault i would get screwed for it more

ELX go for which ever bike you like the most and fits your budget best i like the rgv becuase i'm used to all the things that they come with and i'm very confident around one and i like suzuki's

asa likes the nsr becouse thats what he has ben around and obviousley has more reliability issue's to go on to say the nsr is a better bike

it's kind of a holden vs ford battle where it lies more in your heart then the bike itself but to throw even more at you
kawasaki has a KR1S 250 2t road race bike
yamaha has the TZR 250 and RZ250 2t road race bikes

both of them are rare as hell and parts are hard to find
but they are around

C unit
02-12-2005, 09:20 AM
hg suzuki how old are you and do you have your p's for a car already because i'm pretty sure if you have your p's and open license you only have to have your bike l's for 3 months and then you can get your p's and have an open bike so just get whatever you want don't ride it for 3 months because on the p test they make you ride their bikes usually a cb250, a 50cc scooter and i think a drz 250 or something else trail bikey

so yeah just get whatever you want and hold off riding it for 3 moths thats only 12 weeks

unless you reeally can't ride a bike and need practise then just ignore whatever i said

hey elx check this one out you will probably need to find out more about it

http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodisplay.asp

Cal
02-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Down here the only restriction is capacity. Just throw an L plate on any 250 and ride :)

ELX
02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
C-Unit, couldn't get that link to work. What bike was it? Im just about to check up for some of those yamahas. Out of honda and suzuki, for soem reason i seem to be leaning towards suzuki. Even if they have more problems, there seems to be alot more info about them.

ELX
02-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Ok well you wern't kidding when you said those yamaha's and kawasakis were rare! There's like 5 all up in Aus. Might just stick to the rgv or nsr.

C unit
02-12-2005, 10:44 AM
the link was a nsr for $1,850 in the gold coast it was a 95 model

just go to the trading post go to bikes look for nsr250 in queesnland

ELX
02-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Shit thats very cheap. I can't buy anything now tho :( I'v gotta wait until at least the end of december. Thats an amazing price tho. If it's in good condition.

C unit
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
i'd be weary of it just incase it's knocked off go and check it out though it won't do you any harm fust to see it you can talk to the guy he may be able to hold it off for you and take it off tha trading post if you can put down a deposite of a couple of houndred $

it doe's sound to good to over look

hgsuzuki
02-12-2005, 02:27 PM
I am 18 and have my car P's, but i'm not sure by what you mean as in an "open license". At the moment i don't even have L's for a bike yet, but when i've got L's, I am seriously considering riding an FZ750, and not displaying L plates. I am about 90% sure its for 12 months that you must ride a 250cc bike in Vic, and you don't need to be with a fully licensed rider.

So how often have you guys been pulled up on your roadbikes, if ever. The reason i am so keen to ride on the road is that i just got an apprenticeship with Powercor, and have to go to trade school in Melbourne for 8 weeks next year. I would rather be on a bike in the city, and it would be cheaper to commute (200kms to get there) but have just about zero road experience (on a bike) yet.

Evo450
02-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Started on road bikes, now on dirt, more fun. Dont bother with a 250 road bike, not worth the effort, start on a 600 then see how u go.

98' cbr 250r
99' Yamaha R6
00' Ducati 996 (awesum bike but couldnt keep up the $$$$)
03' Suzuki GSXR 1000 (wrote it off and nearly myself)

Now my KTM, first dirt bike and loving it!!!!

Weiner
02-12-2005, 09:28 PM
I am 18 and have my car P's, but i'm not sure by what you mean as in an "open license". At the moment i don't even have L's for a bike yet, but when i've got L's, I am seriously considering riding an FZ750, and not displaying L plates. I am about 90% sure its for 12 months that you must ride a 250cc bike in Vic, and you don't need to be with a fully licensed rider.

So how often have you guys been pulled up on your roadbikes, if ever. The reason i am so keen to ride on the road is that i just got an apprenticeship with Powercor, and have to go to trade school in Melbourne for 8 weeks next year. I would rather be on a bike in the city, and it would be cheaper to commute (200kms to get there) but have just about zero road experience (on a bike) yet.

Its differant in NSW and QLD.

In Vic, as I was told you get your L's for the bike, go back in a few months or a year, I forget which one, then you get your P's (have to do a riding test) and can only ride under 260cc until your 21.

Was weird, cause I got my motorbike P's when I was 19 (few months ago) and have to display my P plates on the bike for 3 years, but once I am 21 and get my full car license, I can ride an open bike....just have to display the P plate, its confusing.

PeteW
02-12-2005, 11:16 PM
I was just wondering if it is worthwhile to bother with a 250cc, and how severe the repurcussions would be for riding a roadbike without L plates, and over the engine restriction. Also, how often riding on the road have you been pulled up, without actually breaking any rules, just a "routine check"?\

on the HWY from colac to melb I wouldn't risk it for too long.always cops around between geelong and colac that'll pul you up for somthing to do.

L's for 3 mths then you can do your licence test. 12mth no pillion/250 restriction then open bike for you. (like Weiner said, you have to wear your P plates until your on your full car licence)

C unit
05-12-2005, 09:01 AM
i'm pretty sure if you have an open licence for a car, so no l's or p's and you get a bike licence first you get your l's then after three months you can do a test and get your open bike licence without having to have bike p's

threadersmal
05-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey all dont know if anyone can help me but thinking of buying a 750 Supersports Ducati with 40,000km on the clock been regularly serviced & just had its 40,000km service,

What sort of Km,s do you get from this sort bike before rebuild time ect

Thanks Mal

C unit
05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
yeah dude a bike like that if it's looked after it will last forever if you keep services up to it but you need to understand how much a service for a duke is it's not like a $200 car service i've seen figeures upto $1000 dollars before and the only thing different was that the guy needed the clutch adjusted on top of the normal service

don't get me wrong the servise is top notch and they use ducati dealer parts but still pretty pricey but i guess like anything you could do it yourself
a duke will last forever and hold they're price pretty well

Evo450
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey all dont know if anyone can help me but thinking of buying a 750 Supersports Ducati with 40,000km on the clock been regularly serviced & just had its 40,000km service,

What sort of Km,s do you get from this sort bike before rebuild time ect

Thanks Mal

Every 10,000km duke's need a service then every 20,000 is a major service. As long as you've got plenty of $$$$ threadersmal you'll be right, depends on how old the bike is to and parts always cost a fortune

threadersmal
05-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Every 10,000km duke's need a service then every 20,000 is a major service. As long as you've got plenty of $$$$ threadersmal you'll be right, depends on how old the bike is to and parts always cost a fortune

Great thanks for that EVO 450 & C Unit,yeah new they needed attention but thats cool i had a VOR before so know all about it LOL.Was more interested in life of the engine km,s but after doing some searches they seems to be pretty good,once again thanks for the replies

mal

whyzed
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM

When i got my licence i had a CBR250RR and never displayed my L or P plates i know its not a fz750, but i did get pulled up once on it, and they didn't care that i didnt have any P Plates on. And now i have an R6 and have been pulled up on it, was an unmarked, gotta watch for them mainly, they can be sneaky. So it does happen, Evo knows about that as well. ^roost

OutbreakMonkey
06-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Couple of things.
First up, only a fool would ride a bike larger than they're legally allowed for a large length of time. You will not be able to insure the bike at all, so even a minor accident could cost you tens of thousands of dollars.
Secondly, Threadersmal, I'd stay away from the Ducati 750SS. They can't pull the skin off a custard, they have about the same power output as a 2 stroke 250 but weigh nearly 50kg more. They're also softly sprung, more inclined towards touring.
If you're set on a Duc, the 916 or latter 748s are the better buy.
I couldn't afford either so got a Honda VTR1000F Firestorm. It keeps with my mates 916S in a straight line but in the twisties he leaves me for dead.

Evo450
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Evo knows about that as well. ^roost

Yes well, no need to go into that, thanks whyzed

ELX
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey guys,
Im amazed this thread has been so big! :kk And we call ourselve's dirtbikers! Anyway, back on track. I have decided against going for a rgv250, nsr250, cbr250 ect. I really do want something that will start first time everytime. I made the mistake of buying a yz125 for my first dirtbike. An dit's been terrible, allways flooded with problems. I want something more sensible for the road. Something with a nice easy powerband, but still soem guts! But most of all, i want to learn the road so i want to get something that I can rely on, and not have any trobules with. The RGV would be fun, but riding ym yz today. I really realised that i dont want a powerband. It's alot harder to predict/ do start stop riding ect. I want something forgivable ect. Because of this, im thinking of going with a honda vtr250. They seem like a perfect choice for me. There everything i want. I'll probably be selling the yz to fund the road bike so i can get the best possible, then ill be saving to buy another dirtbike, and this time im goign to get a thumper. I road my freinds TTR-90 today, and whilst it's slow. I like the power much more. Much better having a continuos, freindly powercurve than a aggressive, angry motocross band. So yea, im looking at the vtr250's now.

Evo450
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Couple of things.
First up, only a fool would ride a bike larger than they're legally allowed for a large length of time

Well whyzed is a bit of a jackass

AndySwift
07-02-2006, 01:38 AM
ZXR900 Ninja (http://www.backyardbashers.com/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_67.jpg)

Heres a picy of my ZXR900 Ninja All standard apart from Rear sets, the paint and a Micron pipe, I know the paint job is a bit :vomit-smi
But it certainly draws some attention..lol.
Cheers Andy

ruderbager
07-02-2006, 08:25 AM
i'm sure how i can put some photo's up (and i should be going to work) so i'll leave you with this vid, 1 day at qld raceway..

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=lsE0jFefLV4

i hope the link still works

oh and i'm the guy on the red bike. vtr1000sp1 ^skl

ruderbager
07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
oh, and i just watched the vid again, not great quality cause we got a guy that hadn't used a camera much to film while we were out having fun.
but you get the idea....

and it is a fairly large file (20/30meg)

if you like that one i might have another one for you as well...