PDA

View Full Version : Possums and Ratsac

JXK
22-04-2008, 12:56 PM
How do possums go with ratsac? I know they can polish off trees of pretty hot chillies with no problems but can they survive the poison. The reason I ask is I was always under the impression I've had rats in my celing for awhile now and after many attempts with traps I put ratsac up there which was promptly polished off. After about a week with no let up of noise I put a cat trap up there and thismorning I caught a possum. I this little fella on his last legs or worse am about to be greeted with the stench of a rotting possum that has already died or are they a little more tolerant to the ratsac?

ECKS-Man
22-04-2008, 01:02 PM
How do possums go with ratsac? I know they can polish off trees of pretty hot chillies with no problems but can they survive the poison. The reason I ask is I was always under the impression I've had rats in my celing for awhile now and after many attempts with traps I put ratsac up there which was promptly polished off. After about a week with no let up of noise I put a cat trap up there and thismorning I caught a possum. I this little fella on his last legs or worse am about to be greeted with the stench of a rotting possum that has already died or are they a little more tolerant to the ratsac?

I'd say that if it was a possum eating the ratsac he'd be buggered based on my extensive 2-second google search for ratsac.

Zim
22-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I seem to remember that Ratsac make them very thirst and they go looking for a drink and die away from your house.

JXK
22-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Just had a quick look on the net and all I can think is poor fella. I have him in the trap still in my shed, I didn't want to let him out till I found out where he was getting in. Time for an interogation.

ECKS-Man
22-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Just had a quick look on the net and all I can think is poor fella. I have him in the trap still in my shed, I didn't want to let him out till I found out where he was getting in. Time for an interogation.

Do possums have thumbs? Makes it hard to get the thumbscrews happening if they don't!

JXK
22-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Do possums have thumbs? Makes it hard to get the thumbscrews happening if they don't!

No but I'm sure they don't like Barry Manilow.

ECKS-Man
22-04-2008, 01:44 PM
No but I'm sure they don't like Barry Manilow.

:laughing-

Who does???

Can't the RSPCA get you for animal cruelty if you use the Manilow method? ^tng

luckyphil
22-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Did the same thing , it kills them ,although they ate quite a bit before we realised we had possums and rats and stopped baiting,
we had a bad smell in the walls for about 3 weeks and a shit load of blowies,
my advice would be , put the poor bugger out of it pain.

sensaik
22-04-2008, 01:49 PM
RATSAC is a poison and I would imagine that the quantity needed for a rat is much much less that a possum. Therefore I would assume that it will take some time to work, but eventually will.

If you are concerned take him to the RSPCA and they will let you know. It is not like you have done this intentionally.

I have had possums in my roof for some time now (there are about 4 in the area) and am slowly closing the holes up where they get in. In the ACT we cannot trap them, however they put one way 'gates' to let them get out of the house and not back in - until they find somewhere else to get back in.

You are buy possum homes on ebay for $50 and put it in a local tree - giving them an alternative place to live may help keep them out.

I am coming to like the little critters running around the trees at night, just not it the roof.

JXK
22-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I am coming to like the little critters running around the trees at night, just not it the roof.

That's exactly how I felt. I was originally convinced it was a possum and got a permit to catch him then my father in law checked things out and told me it was a rat. Since he's a farmer I trusted his instincts on the matter. Nothing much good come out of their visits so I'll just add that one to the cons list.

sensaik
22-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Apperantly the worst is if they decide to start urinating in the roof cavity. It will stain really bad and evntually you will have to replace the gyprock because painting over it wont wrk.... or so I have been told.

JXK
22-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Apperantly the worst is if they decide to start urinating in the roof cavity. It will stain really bad and evntually you will have to replace the gyprock because painting over it wont wrk.... or so I have been told.

They do stink the place out but at the moment the main concern was the noise. It's enough to keep you awake for hours on end and they have had me up there in the middle of the night trying to find out what the bloody noise was.

sensaik
22-04-2008, 03:04 PM
They do stink the place out but at the moment the main concern was the noise. It's enough to keep you awake for hours on end and they have had me up there in the middle of the night trying to find out what the bloody noise was.

Yeah the noise is terrible, especially with two of them running around at 3am ...argh!!!

JR
22-04-2008, 05:55 PM

The smell will soon be much worse if you do have a dead one in the roof.
My dogs get them and bring them up to the house. Not sure if the dogs are killing them or if someone is poisening them, all the dogs around us, mine included bark like crazy at them up in the trees.

Holy f u c k i n g hell do they smell bad . The stench is unbelievable:vomit-smi:vomit-smi:vomit-smi