PDA

View Full Version : KTM 2 stroke expansion chamber guards

dhr
18-05-2008, 02:28 PM
What expansion chamber guard do you use, which is best and where is the best place to buy one?;onf

Paris
18-05-2008, 02:37 PM
WHIPPS pipe guards are really solid and reliable!
mine has one on her...
check my ebay add (link below) and you'll see it.
not sure where to get them from though...

loopey
18-05-2008, 03:38 PM
What expansion chamber guard do you use, which is best and where is the best place to buy one?;onf

I personally think they are a waste of time, you would be better served buying a stronger pro circuit or fmf chamber if your still using the "shit'' i mean stock unit. They cost around $230 in the states.
The pickles pipe gaurd is probably one of the better units as it doesn't collect all the trail crap, also doesn't hinder cleaning.
Boltons motorcycles has them! not sure of the price.:)

PaulyT
18-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Sold my Pickles guard and fitted a FMF Gnarly, pretty cheap from the states and are tough.....if I bugger it and it cant be repaired will cop it and order a new one....

Keg
18-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Pauly, when the chamber pushes back, braking the exhaust outlet, you will discover it is part of the power valve and your barrel needs replacing as they don't sell it separate.

Go the Pickles. PRP Engineering are in the book!

gearb0x
18-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Pauly, when the chamber pushes back, braking the exhaust outlet, you will discover it is part of the power valve and your barrel needs replacing as they don't sell it separate.

What book? :D

I'll be looking for one as of this week for a 2008 EC300 ^ton

Moo
18-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Another vote for the Pickles/PRP guard.

BarKer
18-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I was looking at a Pickles but will be going for the Whipps guard now, appears to be sturdier and also protects against the smaller rocks. I also believe that you can get them with an optional bashplate. Will get a price tomorrow.

Like Keg said (not sure about the Gassers) but the pipe can break off a piece of the exhaust flange but then again, you can breask anything if you try hard enough.. Also I thought that the '04 onwards did not need to have the matched pair (ie Barrel and Flange), you can buy the Flange by itself for $400 (another KTM bargain:) )

Mad Mike
18-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Barker, how's things mate? Have you actually been out riding since you have moved?^tng
Could well be joinging the 2-stroke brigade later this year so am following this with interest....

big orse
18-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I've got the Hyde guard on my bike, but, I am not so sure that it is the way to go. It is quite bulky and the pipe clamps cause alot of damage when you drop the bike. I have still had to blow the dings out 3x in 6 months and my pipe has bent around the frame. The other problem with it, is that it collects mud, rocks, leaves and sticks.

I wouldn't want to run without a guard though! Might have to have a look at the PRP or Whipps.

Ken's DRZ400
18-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Get a Hyde I love mine. Crashed quite a few times and no damage. I also like the look.

pin
19-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I was looking at a Pickles but will be going for the Whipps guard now, appears to be sturdier and also protects against the smaller rocks. I also believe that you can get them with an optional bashplate. Will get a price tomorrow.

Like Keg said (not sure about the Gassers) but the pipe can break off a piece of the exhaust flange but then again, you can breask anything if you try hard enough.. Also I thought that the '04 onwards did not need to have the matched pair (ie Barrel and Flange), you can buy the Flange by itself for $400 (another KTM bargain:) )

Whipps guard with bash plate sounds like the strongest option.Can you post on this thread when you get a price. Thanks.

pin
19-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Sold my Pickles guard and fitted a FMF Gnarly, pretty cheap from the states and are tough.....if I bugger it and it cant be repaired will cop it and order a new one....
Did your Pickles guard fit around the Gnarly pipe or was it only for the standard pipe.I have a Gnarly with Hyde pipeguard,looking for stronger protection.

oldboy
19-05-2008, 10:49 AM
If you want a bullbar type hangin' off ya scoot,go the WHIPPS.Or if you just want some good lightweight protection that will cope with most dings and scrapes get a carbon fibre guard.

PaulyT
19-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Yep, thats the only issue so the next order I do from the states I will order a collar...although I think it has changed recently and you dont have to buy a whole barrell???...the PRD wont easily fit the 08 with a Gnarly otherwise I would of left it on.

JJR
19-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I have the Hyde bash plate. It is strong but I found it collects too much mud and last week end I removed all the bolts and the thing was still stuck on. I tried to wiggle it off and it wouldnt do it. Needed to get the pressure cleaner in there to remove the mud.^BGHD

ktm300exce
20-05-2008, 08:24 PM
My Hyde gaurd has been worth every cent. My pipe looks brand new except for the little ding I got on my first ride before the Hyde ^BGHD

dhr
21-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Those 200 dollar Gnarly pipes in the states look mighty tempting^tng

BarKer
21-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Spoke to Whipps, the beefy 250/300 pipe guards are $350 each with an optional glideplate for $90. These are not designed for Gnarly's :(

I think they would do me fine but for that amount I can almost get 2 Gnarly's delivered.... It will need some thought...

JJR
22-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Out of curiosity? What do you use to clean and keep your pipe looking like brand new?

Ken's DRZ400
22-05-2008, 12:24 AM
i have a Doma Expansion pipe and use a little oil & looks great

pin
22-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Spoke to Whipps, the beefy 250/300 pipe guards are $350 each with an optional glideplate for $90. These are not designed for Gnarly's :(

I think they would do me fine but for that amount I can almost get 2 Gnarly's delivered.... It will need some thought...

Thats a pity about the Whipps guard not fitting a Gnarly.I wonder how much modification it would take to make the guard fit around a Gnarly?AT $440 for guard and bashplate it's extremely expensive though.

BarKer
22-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I agree that it is not cheap.. Have been toying with getting some light metal rod and welding my own up and then getting it duplicated in alloy ?

I used to polish the chamber with a metal polish and it came up well but it has been welded up about 7 times now due to being all out of shape (damn Logs) so looking nice is low on the list for it :)

big bore
22-05-2008, 10:44 PM

Sounds like whipps haven't done their homework. They've made their guard to fit the stock pipe, which it seems people soon get rid of.

So, as hard as it is, does the pickles guard actually fit the gnarly with some effort? Does anything fit the Gnarly.... or should I just stay "out of the shit"

beer
22-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Out of curiosity? What do you use to clean and keep your pipe looking like brand new?

A new bike each year.

pin
23-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Sounds like whipps haven't done their homework. They've made their guard to fit the stock pipe, which it seems people soon get rid of.

So, as hard as it is, does the pickles guard actually fit the gnarly with some effort? Does anything fit the Gnarly.... or should I just stay "out of the shit"

The Hyde Pipeguard bashplate fits the Gnarly.

big bore
23-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I already have this carbon fiber looking plate for the expansion pipe and a B&B bash plate.
Would you jet leaner or richer for the gnarly pipe?