PDA

View Full Version : Motard Wheels

cowchaser
12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Has anyone fitted Motard wheels to a CR500? I am fitting CBR250R wheels at the moment and am having a bit of trouble getting the rear wheel in the swing arm

Will
12-02-2004, 06:01 PM
I haven't done it myself, I have seen them in there before though. The CR I saw had late model CBR250 rims in it (larger tyre sizes than early model).
Most people with CR motards have spoked wheels with standard or talon hubs, pricey but looks better, fits better.

johnno
13-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Hey Cowchaser
Iam currently doing CBR 250 R conversion to my XR400 02 model
2/3rds complete
what is the problem you are having ?

cowchaser
13-02-2004, 06:48 PM
i've got the front in ok but the rear hub is just a little to wide for the swing arm how is it on the XR? I also am fitting the same wheels to my DRZ and it is all good on that bike

arrow
13-02-2004, 08:24 PM
can you machine some smaller/narrower wheel spacers?
I havent seen a CBR wheel but just a thought

johnno
13-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Cowchaser
This is not a easy task to do at the best of times but 2 wheels to go onto 2 different bikes (sh$t)

Firstly you need to make sure. to make the wheels run in the centre line of where the offroad wheels are running now. as if you do not have them in centre they may be offset(not inline) and may not turn into corners easy and will wear tyres or even crash
(always measure from the centre of rim NOT the centre of the Centre hub as some are offset hubs)

you may need to get new or modified spacers made up to do this

You may need to get the sprocket carrier(bearing area) machined down or even the disc side bearing to allow it to go into the CR swing arm opening(this all relates to centre line of rim)as the whole thing is to wide

Now this is getting very difficult now as you have to be very careful if you do this . You must be aware of the changes you make to the CR conversion and what effects it will have on the DRZ conversion and or what mods you need to do to DRZ affter you have modified it .

Just a sudjestion you maybe need to get a spare sprocket carrier
and do the mod to that to suit the CR and just Keep the carrrier for that bike

my XR fits in and on the left side i have about 5-6mm between the SW ARM and the right side 19-21mm between the bearing and the caliper bracket

Problems i have struck

Sprocket for CBR is the wrong tooth pitch
(use the after market XR sprocket Think from 90-96 model
It fits on and all bolt holes line up)It has larger centre hole, teeth range from 36-48 ?????

my XR has a 17mm front axle so the std (20mm cbr)bearings don't fit i am getting wheel machined out to take a larger bearing OD but bearing will have a smaller ID
(I have now found bearings to fit but are not enclosed case)

need to machine down the sprocket carrier mounting and the brake disc mounting as it is all to wide and needs about 4mm of brake side and 2.5mm off sprocket side

need to get a caliper bracket made as i am using the bigger front disc to help braking ,Due to the Diameter increase in disc from std xr

This all the problems i have stuck so far

Hope this helps
If you have any problems or can't understand any thing
please ask again on the specific area as i am typing this with my eyeballs hanging out of my head and what i have typed might not make sense

cowchaser
14-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks heaps John you have been a huge help i got more out of you than any bike shop or mag. Hope to be backing it in soon

johnno
14-02-2004, 04:17 PM
If you have a problem

Just come straight to DBW and your Question will be answered

:bzr :bzr :bzr

hudson
15-02-2004, 10:15 PM
I have heard that these wheels are fine for making a start but are a little weak once you start having a red hot go.But understand I only got this info from another person I didn't see it my self so it could be crap. Good luck wit it just keep and eye on it.

cowchaser
16-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah thanks i will a mate of mine has had them on his WR450 for a while now with no probs. But i will keep an eye out for cracks