PDA

View Full Version : Builders advice wanted

Kero
19-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Any builders out there who would care to enlighten me on a few things? The missus and I are thinking about reno's.:speechles

Napattac
19-07-2009, 05:14 PM
She been watching reality TV?
Looks easy ,eh.

Kero
19-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Ha ha, yeah, but gotta fit it in between chef'n up a storm and losing weight. Later we sending the kids off to the world's meanest parents and then it's off for the 10 day makeover.^rof^rof

We've owned our house for 9 years and we're looking at getting more out of what we got, rather than sell and upgrade.

robo67
19-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Any builders out there who would care to enlighten me on a few things? The missus and I are thinking about reno's.:speechles

mate if it looks like getting in the way of a ride give it a miss......

Kero
19-07-2009, 05:42 PM
mate if it looks like getting in the way of a ride give it a miss......

Mate, if it looks like were getting a loan I'll be budgeting in a new 450F to fill that new space in the corner.^clap

Fell in love with a shiny black WR in the shop the other day, without even throwing a leg over.;ug2;ug2

Johnny 2G
19-07-2009, 05:53 PM
im a contract administrator with a degree in c-management for a commercial builder in the city and my brother is a 3rd yr chippie who does cashies on weekends.

pm if we can help

DirtSquiter
19-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm a plumber not quite a builder but may be able to answer some questions.

PM me if ya interested in some feed back.

Tim

Kero
19-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll just throw this up to give everyone an idea.
Our house is two storey. Upstairs is fine, the reno's will be downstairs, which is partially built in with concrete floor. We'd like to finish the perimeter walls off and build rooms underneath. What is the minimum ceiling height to make these rooms habitable? I'd hate to have to raise the joint.
Oh yes, we're in Queensland.

MANAGER
19-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll just throw this up to give everyone an idea.
Our house is two storey. Upstairs is fine, the reno's will be downstairs, which is partially built in with concrete floor. We'd like to finish the perimeter walls off and build rooms underneath. What is the minimum ceiling height to make these rooms habitable? I'd hate to have to raise the joint.
Oh yes, we're in Queensland.

2.4 is nice but you can get away with less with the use of smoke alarms and little known loopholes in the act.:laughing-Can be problems with the old slabs under highsets as they wern't always designed to be built on, just to cover the dirt but send some details and or pics and Il'l do what I can to help.:laughing-

efto
19-07-2009, 08:06 PM
P2.4.2
Room heights
A room or space must be of a height that does not unduly interfere with its intended function.

Compliance with this acceptable construction practice satisfies Performance Requirement P2.4.2 for room heights.

Ceiling heights

Ceiling heights must be not less than—

(a)
in a habitable room excluding a kitchen — 2.4 m; and
(b)
in a kitchen — 2.1 m; and
(c)
in a corridor, passageway or the like — 2.1 m; and
(d)
in a bathroom, shower room, laundry, sanitary compartment, airlock, pantry, storeroom, garage, car parking area or the like — 2.1 m; and
(e)
in a room or space with a sloping ceiling or projections below the ceiling line within—
(i)
a habitable room—
(A)
in an attic — a height of not less than 2.2 m for at least two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space; and
(B)
in other rooms — a height of not less than 2.4 m over two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space; and
(ii)
a non- habitable room— a height of not less than 2.1 m for at least two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space,
and when calculating the floor area of a room or space, any part that has a ceiling height of less than 1.5 m is not included; and
(f)
in a stairway — 2.0 m measured vertically above the nosing line.

However it also states:-

Where an alternative ceiling height is proposed as an Alternative Solution to that described in Part 3.8.2, that proposal must comply with—
(a) Performance Requirement P2.4.2; and
(b) the relevant Performance Requirements determined in accordance with 1.0.10.

So basically if you can justify that it does not unduly interfere with its intended function you can have a lower ceiling height.
(Material taken from 2009 BCA for NSW)

efto
19-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Hope info helps. If you need clarification just let me know. Any more questions regarding the BCA just ask.

Kero
19-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the help so far, all that looks pretty good.
It's a good old place, we owe bugger all on it and it has appreciated nicely, so there's plenty of scope for reno's or extensions there.

Any provisions that need to be made for being in a flood zone?
Although the last flood that came this high was '74, and who didn't cop that one.

Bob64
19-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Hope info helps. If you need clarification just let me know. Any more questions regarding the BCA just ask.

Whats the min ceiling height for a garage???

efto
19-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Class 10a — a non-habitable building being a private garage, carport, shed, or the like

(ii)
a non- habitable room— a height of not less than 2.1 m for at least two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space,
and when calculating the floor area of a room or space, any part that has a ceiling height of less than 1.5 m is not included

Also remember clause P2.4.2

Room heights

A room or space must be of a height that does not unduly interfere with its intended function.

(Taken from BCA 2009 for NSW)

However it should be noted that council DCP's should be read in conjunction with this information

efto
19-07-2009, 10:01 PM
BCA does not cover specifically building in flood prone areas, councils set the rules for building in this area. You should refer to your relevant councils development control plan (DCP) and Local Environment plan (LEP). These are found usually on your councils website.

Hori
20-07-2009, 06:46 PM
some good info there on heights Efto

20sil
20-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Im a Chippy if you wanna shoot off a few questions. Ps go the tradies!

Kero
21-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes, bloody top info there mate. I think the house will be too low, with the average ceiling height about 1950mm to 2050mm. I think we would be better off to extend outwards than to raise it.
Cheers, gents.:grinning-

BundyRoy
22-07-2009, 07:21 AM
If you're in a flood prone area I'd definitely be checking with council. I'm in NSW and a town that floods easy, but around here nothing is allowed to be below a 1 in 100 flood level. You can have rooms below this but they can't be living areas (bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom) and all electrical fittings have to be above water level which around here is half way up the wall and looks a little odd. There are also rules on floor coverings in low rooms. I think it has to be hard floor coverings like tiles or concrete.