PDA

View Full Version : old school bmx, anyone have one or doing a reno ?

Pages : [1] 2

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I have been drooling over some seriously nice old school 80's bmx bikes and have a serious urge to either buy one that's a good runner and needs some NOS parts to make original or buy a basket case frame and forks and build to a spec.

Anyone doing it or done it or have anything old they might like to part with ?

thing i would like....SE racing, Kuwahara ET model, old redline , white fox, Hutch pro star, gt pro performer (banana if possible) haro blue black/red black chrome F+F. 24" HARO master, skyway tuff. or indeed any pre 86 parts to make up nice old bike !

check this site out for the ones interested in this ! :cheers

http://bmxmuseum.com/

kinks
12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I have been trying to track down my first racing bmx (pro-lite) hs the skinny wheels ,uni seat for racing then for general street ragging i put z-rims and a normal seat on it, loved that bike till some caaarnt stole it.

Got it back when saw some paki riding past a shop on it ,run up behind him battered the life out of him he didn't know what hit him:D
Only to find the only part of the bike that remained was the frame and forks :sad-smile

The rest got sold off it I then didn't care about it anymore let it rust and go to shit behind the shed , regret it to this day:sad-smile

Ha ha just found it on that site 1985 pro-lite privateer and how could my shins forget the BEAR TRAP pedals man they used to hurt

rideo
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I've got one of these, same as what i had back in the day:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/crossrider/3356
In red, minus tyres/tubes and front brakes, otherwise it's all in OEM condition.
No, it's not for sale.

Hivisibility
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
all you old skool BMX blokes are fair dinkum Nutjobs...

Got some bit's n pieces at home if you're after something yell... might have it

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Ideally what I am after(top to bottom..)

Haro 24" master.
mushroom grips and doughnuts
Gt or haro renthals.
Tuff neck stem and headset.
Uni seat with post clamp.
24" araya aero rims, large flange hubs.(or Z rims )
tuffneck 3 piece crank set. sealed BB.(or redline flite )180mm
sr pedals. 40 or 44/16 front sprocket/rears prockets.prefer shimano SX
diacompe levers and quick release calipers and skyway pads (always the best ).

check this out ! can't copy pic or i would !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guav/2049731381/in/photostream/

rideo
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
all you old skool BMX blokes are fair dinkum Nutjobs...

Got some bit's n pieces at home if you're after something yell... might have it

Got a straight pair of Tange TRX forks? The ones on my bike are a bit bent:(
Diacompe 2 finger levers?
Kashimax aero seat?
What about a pair of Shimano DX platform pedals?

Sol Erzenberg
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM

I had a Supa Roo, then a Redline Pro-Line, then a Diamond Back Pro which I snapped in half while racing in S.A. due to some killer doubles..:sad-smile

My Diamondback had Tange Aero Forks, kept snapping those too, my Sponsor got pretty pi$$ed off after the 3rd set & ended up going back to Tange TRX forks.

Cheers, great website, brings back a few fond memories..lol..:D

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
hey rideo, I've never heard of a crossrider ??

Uk mostly got US bikes and raleigh..raced against mostly mongoose, GT, Haro, redline, SE (think most lads had Pk rippers ) and Hutch (loved my hutch ! :()

rideo
12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
hey rideo, I've never heard of a crossrider ??

Uk mostly got US bikes and raleigh..raced against mostly mongoose, GT, Haro, redline, SE (think most lads had Pk rippers ) and Hutch (loved my hutch ! :()

Crossrider, aka BMXPRO, [made by Graecross Industries] was actually a locally made bike made in Bayswater in Melboune.
A tough little cro-mo frame, quick turning geometry and well specced parts for a good price, only issue was the frame was actually 'little' whcih was fine for smaller riders but i was near 6' when i was on mine.
They [Graecross] actually offered me a factory ride back in the day, just after me 'n my younger bro cleaned up against all the pro teams at a state meet down at Sale, i knocked it back as by then i was tired of the lack of a challenge and the effort involved in getting to race meets, i was also getting more into m/bikes, a decision i still regret when i think back to it.

4stroker
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
im chasing a yellow 1997 Haro Group 1 Zi if anyone has one...

(sorry to hijack rab!)

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Crossrider, aka BMXPRO, [made by Graecross Industries] was actually a locally made bike, Bayswater in Melb. actually.
A tough little cro-mo frame, quick turning geometry and well specced parts for a good price, only issue was the frame was actually 'little' whcih was fine for smaller riders but i was near 6' when i was on mine.
They [Graecross] actually offered me a factory ride back in the day, just after me 'n my younger bro cleaned up against all the pro teams at a state meet down at Sale, i knocked it back as by then i was tired of the lack of a challenge and was getting into m/bikes, a decision i still regret when i think back to it.

ah bugger mate ! Racing in the UK was huge ! Used to go to meets and would be 100+ riders back in 84/85 !

Andy ruffel on show for the4 mongoose team then raleigh. Andy welsh wasone of the best scots but sponsorship was like a holy grail ! you knocked it back ! ^nuts

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 01:05 PM
im chasing a yellow 1997 Haro Group 1 Zi if anyone has one...

(sorry to hijack rab!)

no problem mate, most mid/late school bikes are cheap and one on ebay now ! not yellow though !

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 01:10 PM
check this out ! kinda what i would like but they were a heavy bastid !
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/86-haro-sport-freestyler-/260780158068?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item3cb7b56c74#ht_500wt_1156

rideo
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
ah bugger mate ! Racing in the UK was huge ! Used to go to meets and would be 100+ riders back in 84/85 !

Andy ruffel on show for the4 mongoose team then raleigh. Andy welsh wasone of the best scots but sponsorship was like a holy grail ! you knocked it back ! ^nuts

Yep it was probably one of the bigger mistakes of my life.
Looking back on it now i can see that a few years of pro racing would have carried me though until MTB took off in Oz, that would have been the natural progression from BMX for me as i took it up anyhow.
What difference that would have made though is i would have been ride fit at the start of my MTB career instead of having been off the bikes and on the drugs for a few years, what more of a difference that would have made is i would have been easliy able to whoop Rob Eva's arse and I would have been King of Oz MTB [XC] instead of that dropkick. [I was close but not close enough]

Further to that i would have been in a position to spend big $$$ on DH when that took off, i was in the top 10 rank for a while back then and that was with me always taking a knife to a gunfight, had i had me a gun instead...i would probably still be OS now or just contemplating returning home..who knows where i could have ended up.
Shit happens.

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 01:22 PM
indeed mate !
cool bike history though !
race bikes went like this....shitty burner to aero pro same as ruffel bike to hutch pro star ! .

>moto<
12-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I had a GT Pro Performer, there are even pics of me riding it on my FB page. It was a great bike, wish i still had it.....

4stroker
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
no problem mate, most mid/late school bikes are cheap and one on ebay now ! not yellow though !

thats almost it but yeah gotta be yellow!

soarerman
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
you guys looking at getting into old school BMX i hope you have very large bank balances. lol
A ET special in mint condition will set you back up $10 000,

Your best bet is a looptail PK ripper1978-1984, a very nice frame and forks will cost up $1000, then you can decide what parts you wish to use, but be prepard to wait along time for the era correct parts to pop up. ive been waiting 2 years for an era correct seat for 1988 auburn.

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I am pretty specific on what bikes i would buy. not really into any other freestyle bikes other than a GT PP. more looking for a haro cruiser if i can get one ! :) but yeah, can get a bit nutty on cost if you buy a minter !

soarerman
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
3 good sites to use to find bikes and parts etc
ozbmx.com
vintagebmx.com
bmxmuseum.com

Hivisibility
12-05-2011, 02:10 PM
you guys looking at getting into old school BMX i hope you have very large bank balances. lol
A ET special in mint condition will set you back up $10 000,

Your best bet is a looptail PK ripper1978-1984, a very nice frame and forks will cost up $1000, then you can decide what parts you wish to use, but be prepard to wait along time for the era correct parts to pop up. ive been waiting 2 years for an era correct seat for 1988 auburn.

I know where there is an ex factory team members looptail in the rafters of his shed... all ridgy didge.

BMX is still huge up here, three club s in three towns, state of origin series all that....

99problems
12-05-2011, 02:16 PM
??

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 02:25 PM
??

bmx bandits...:D

Jimmy
12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
My kids have both just started getting into buying second hand BMXs and hotting em up. Looked at old school (he wanted tuffs but costs too much). Its brilliant to watch my 8yo son working on his machine just like we did back in the day. Taught him how to change a tube the other day.

He is lucky i have tools, i only ever had a set of mutlis, a rusted out a shifter and 1 screw driver i made from a corn flakes packet. :)

Scored a mongoose off ebay for $25 a couple of weeks back.

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
mum always got pissed off becausei had a lot of her spoons bent to hell from changing tyres.

OGK mags are a nice era alternative to skyway tuff II's or evenbetter (for me ) ACS Z rims.

robo67
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Last bmx i had was MS 81 cro mo i think

cmg
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
mum always got pissed off becausei had a lot of her spoons bent to hell from changing tyres.

my mum always got the sh!ts because I had my Tuffs in the freezer to straighten them

rideo
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
bmx bandits...:D

Sure is/was, but that's too obvious so i'm not sure that that was the question.
What bike is the kid on the left riding, is it a redline?

Sol Erzenberg
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
my mum always got the sh!ts because I had my Tuffs in the freezer to straighten themDid that actually work or another urban myth ?

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Did that actually work or another urban myth ?

yeah worked ! actually was guidelines from Skyway at the time and yes rideo, looks like a redline pad.

actually, may be something else....(goes off to hunt....)

DIAMOND BACK ! READ PAD UPSIDE DOWN ! GOD I AM CLEVER ! :D

IkPzSxD_NdE

Dirty daz
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Nice thread guys, love the old school bmx as a kid I used to do up mongooses,redlines super maxchromo's etc favorite parts were skyway tuff 2's mx 2 goosenecks, t bars (still have them) Kashmax aero seats, nitto sx stem
acs mx alloys (still have some) shamano dx crank/levers araya 7x rims were cool
I wish I had kept more!
I have a late 80's early 90's mongoose freestyle bmx & a free agent bmx that's missing both wheels
I am going to sell them on ebay when I get around to it
cheers DAZ...

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
nice thread guys, love the old school bmx as a kid i used to do up mongooses,redlines super maxchromo's etc favorite parts were skyway tuff 2's mx 2 goosenecks, t bars (still have them) kashmax aero seats, nitto sx stem
acs mx alloys (still have some) shamano dx crank/levers araya 7x rims were cool
i wish i had kept more!
I have a late 80's early 90's mongoose freestyle bmx & a free agent bmx that's missing both wheels
i am going to sell them on ebay when i get around to it
cheers daz...

make me sick daz ! :D

Battered Sav
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Yep, I was a BMX hoon back in the day too.

Great times, had a group of mates that were all into it too, used to go to the Oakleigh bowl, Prahran bowl, Melton skatepark, numerous tracks.
Raced a little but never serious, more into freestyle and doing tricks, jumps etc.
I had a light GT that was great for bunny hopping, the bike below (not mine, from the museum archives) was an anchor but tough as nails.
The one below has Redline 3 piece cranks, man they were a LOT on money when we were kids, I just had one piece cro-mo's with Shimano DX's
I also has landing gear forks and Araya7X (are they the "bowl" rims?) with bullseye sealed bearing hubs (they cost me a bit).
Used to ride the 20" pushy everywhere, school, several suburbs away etc, damn I was fit them.....what happened. ^rof

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61448&d=1305185347

Jimmy
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
awww Sav thats how i remember a BMX. I was an expert on one of them at bunny hopping and flicking the wheel out and knocking over a dustbin...back when everyone had the round bins.

LuKe450
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I was recently in a bidding war on eBay for an original Mongoose with red tuffs etc.. It almost got out of control

Fast forward a couple weeks & I bought this:

Andrew250
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Yep, I was a BMX hoon back in the day too.

Great times, had a group of mates that were all into it too, used to go to the Oakleigh bowl, Prahran bowl, Melton skatepark, numerous tracks.
Raced a little but never serious, more into freestyle and doing tricks, jumps etc.
I had a light GT that was great for bunny hopping, the bike below (not mine, from the museum archives) was an anchor but tough as nails.
The one below has Redline 3 piece cranks, man they were a LOT on money when we were kids, I just had one piece cro-mo's with Shimano DX's
I also has landing gear forks and Araya7X (are they the "bowl" rims?) with bullseye sealed bearing hubs (they cost me a bit).
Used to ride the 20" pushy everywhere, school, several suburbs away etc, damn I was fit them.....what happened. ^rof

Ohhhhh yeah, Redline 3 piece cranks. Took me ages to save up enough for a set of them. They still look trick even today ^clap

Battered Sav
12-05-2011, 06:50 PM
3 piece Cro-moly cranks.

I made the mistake of buying 3 piece alloy cranks, once.

Elton
12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
my old man used to do alot of auctions back in the day so i used to have a variety of awesome BMX's..

GT performer
redlines
PK ripper complete with crack around seat pole

just to name a few, i have looked at those vintage sites and it would be very easy to get back into it seeing some of the fine examples people have done up..

baz
12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I had one of these... the old man got it thrown in when he bought a second hand HQ back in 74.. It ws the custard in the day, I kept snapping the frame from jumping the shit out of it..

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37/baz_04/yamahamotobike.jpg

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Those rims you speak of sav are araya aero rims. Had them mated up to large flange hubs. Very nice wheel.
And the redline flite were a nice crank. I had the tuff neck crank. Had tiger head embossment.

muffBERGer
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
A mate of mine worrth a look
check out his tracky dacks he has a shed full of old school stuff!

"Daryl Fox loves bikes, and has a large collection; BMX, uni cycles, mountain bikes, Cyclops scooters, dragsters, he?s got them all. But it?s his Swing Bikes from the 1970s that really get him going. We?re not going to describe them here, you?ll have to watch. They are unusual, rare, highly sought-after and therefore valuable, particularly if they?re original".

mate who owns Carter Cycles has retro pk rippers in
16in 20in 24in and 29in cruisers

sells a few of them
http://www.seizetheride.com/Retro/26--OM-Flyer---$100-Wrap.aspx

cause he is the cheapest in town^clap

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
A mate of mine worrth a look
check out his tracky dacks he has a shed full of old school stuff!

"Daryl Fox loves bikes, and has a large collection; BMX, uni cycles, mountain bikes, Cyclops scooters, dragsters, he?s got them all. But it?s his Swing Bikes from the 1970s that really get him going. We?re not going to describe them here, you?ll have to watch. They are unusual, rare, highly sought-after and therefore valuable, particularly if they?re original".

mate who owns Carter Cycles has retro pk rippers in
16in 20in 24in and 29in cruisers

sells a few of them
http://www.seizetheride.com/Retro/26--OM-Flyer---$100-Wrap.aspx

cause he is the cheapest in town^clap

is he selling all those for 100 each ??? would love that retro se quadangle 24" bike or any of those cruisers ! ^clap surely not $100 though !

edit, what a dick.....$100 wrapped paintwork.........:D

02XR400
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Hard rubbish is where all the bargains are, 2 months ago I grabbed a pair of blue Skyway II tuffs. I also got a pair of arai rims off hard rubbish also.

Some people dont know how sort after old BMX's are.

I've got a early 90's Haro at the moment ready to be rebuilt. My good mate just finished rebuilding his Robinson.

EdgyAl
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I own a mint PK ripper, 86 model, white, and a chrome frame redline of the same era. I havn't seen them for about 10 years as in storage.
Now I'm all keen to drag them out and resurect.
Thanks for the inspiration.

nawill
12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Last month I took my 39 y.o. Brothers mint condition PK ripper for a spin....... Remembering how good I was, and having a few beers, I rode up the driveway, then strait back down and did not even hesitate to hit the big jump......
I am just getting back on the moto after a partial tear to my ACL and fractured fibula!
the wife was just shaking her head, calling me a child.......:-)

I used to love BMX racing as a kid, and was pretty good...... I will stick to dirt bikes and MTB now.

rabskyline
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
AL, pics, Nawill, pics....you know the rules ! :D

EdgyAl
14-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Won't go into the details, just discovered that both my old pushies have been donated to some other kids years ago without my consent, NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!.
However, I run into a mate at the shops today and started negotiations for 1 x Redline chromey and 1 x Kuwahara chromey.
Who started this thread? It's gonna cost me money.

wrighty
15-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I just restored a 99 or 2000 anniversary limited edition mongoose i got off hard rubbish.Its got new tyres,grips,seat etc. All of the original parts,cranks,bars,pedals,forks just polished up.Pearl yellow powder coated frame.Anyone got any idea what its worth?:cheers

rideo
15-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I just restored a 99 or 2000 anniversary limited edition mongoose i got off hard rubbish.Its got new tyres,grips,seat etc. All of the original parts,cranks,bars,pedals,forks just polished up.Pearl yellow powder coated frame.Anyone got any idea what its worth?:cheers

Maybe a little bit more than a non LE model, it's really only the genuines from back in the day that are fetching the big coin.

I rented bmx bandits today after watching the bit that rabs posted up...brought back some memories for sure^lol

jeffhrholden69
15-05-2011, 11:01 PM
In 85 i had one of these. Paper round money back then paid for it. I do miss it know. Mine had tuff2 black wheels as well.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/20790

Dirty daz
18-05-2011, 04:13 PM

I have one too also off hard rubbish, only needed wheel bearings 25th anniversary model mine has a chrome frame

rabskyline
18-05-2011, 05:40 PM
not considered old skool at that age ! Gotta be 80's man ! :D

Al, get into yer mate and see what he has lying about , pics of the bikes please ! gotta love finding old bikes stuffed away in barns etc.... love it !

also, Mongoose sold out to some cheap ass crap manufacturer 10 or so years ago and have been shit ever since ! rebadged chinga soul-less crapola !

kinks
18-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Thats it I have done it .

Been in contact with a few people who have my bike and asked if they wanna sell .

This thread has got me all worked up and my midlfe crisis has started, just gotta get the skateboard I had as a kid and i'll be happy.

rabskyline
18-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Thats it I have done it .

Been in contact with a few people who have my bike and asked if they wanna sell .

This thread has got me all worked up and my midlfe crisis has started, just gotta get the skateboard I had as a kid and i'll be happy.

:cheers:cheers

rideo
18-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Al, get into yer mate and see what he has lying about , pics of the bikes please ! gotta love finding old bikes stuffed away in barns etc.... love it !

also, Mongoose sold out to some cheap ass crap manufacturer 10 or so years ago and have been shit ever since ! rebadged chinga soul-less crapola !

Yep some manufacturers just don't get it, it may be about the bottom line for them but for the consumer it's about soul with particular products, if it costs more to make a product with soul then so be it, but Chinese and/or robot made product just doesn't cut it.
It's the same with todays cars, Falcs 'n 'Dores, soul-less pos that aren't worth half of what they are asking, transport for the masses with the masses being mindless soul-less zombies...ok maybe some ppl get what they deserve.
/End rant ;)

rabskyline
18-05-2011, 06:45 PM
hand tig welded 4130 cromoly mate ! :) its gotta be from Amurika man !

Dangles 450
18-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I've got one of these, same as what i had back in the day:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/crossrider/3356
In red, minus tyres/tubes and front brakes, otherwise it's all in OEM condition.
No, it's not for sale.

I have the exact same crossrider in my shed, except the blue tires are a bit worn and very perished now... But the bike is still in excellent condition and no...sorry, I'm not letting go of it:D

rabskyline
18-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I have the exact same crossrider in my shed, except the blue tires are a bit worn and very perished now... But the bike is still in excellent condition and no...sorry, I'm not letting go of it:D

pics or not true ! ^lol

wrighty
18-05-2011, 07:51 PM

You jew wad Humey some liitle bloke could be panning that sweet ride^clap The old mongooses had a distinct frame ie the front and back gussets with the centre hole in them and you are right Rabs the new ones arent the same:sad-smile.My mate over the back fence has two or three old early 80s chrome framed mongooses behind his shed with a fair few old school bits on em but he will not part with em.^nwrt

Dangles 450
18-05-2011, 07:55 PM
You jew wad Humey some liitle bloke could be panning that sweet ride^clap The old mongooses had a distinct frame ie the front and back gussets with the centre hole in them and you are right Rabs the new ones arent the same:sad-smile.My mate over the back fence has two or three old early 80s chrome framed mongooses behind his shed with a fair few old school bits on em but he will not part with em.^nwrt

Well if your that concerned, you could hand over that Mongoose hanging up in your shed ya smartarse....

Dangles 450
18-05-2011, 07:56 PM
pics or not true ! ^lol

Give me a day or so to organise some pics for you Rabs

wrighty
18-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Rabs, Dangles has still got stuff that he had in grade 4 so im tipping he will come up with the goods.Have ya still got that E.T.doll and them mint fishing reels wrapped in socks? No way are the kids riding the goose,have ya seen the way they treat their scooters and bikes etc?:tears

rabskyline
18-05-2011, 09:45 PM
You lucky bastards :D

EdgyAl
31-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Get the Redline this weekend $140, and still working on him for the Kuwahara. will post pics as soon as it's in my shed, then crack a tinnie or 10 and start polishing. The 300's still in bits, got to ride something.

karlmagoo
31-05-2011, 10:29 PM
UNIVEGA STREETHEAT ;hug1

:cheers

EdgyAl
31-05-2011, 10:45 PM
UNIVEGA STREETHEAT ;hug1

That's a cool looking pushy, anyone got a set of red or black skyway's?

Mobec
31-05-2011, 11:07 PM
This thread brings fond memories back.We wernt rich,more poor in housing commision home but BMX was our life with no money to splurge.Over time i customized my Supermax (5 hole gusset)

Red tuff 2 free wheels
Blue snakebellies
Blue KKT pedals
Red MX2 gooseneck
Oakley 3 grips Blue
Redline V bars
red alloy 3 pce crank
Coloured chain(blue) got stolen from school one day( i was guttered)
Blue seat stem alloy
Red Racing seat(cant remeber the name)dam it
The list went on

Why did we sell our prized possesions only to regret it all in our 40"s?????
Id love to have that bike back....sniff sniff

rideo
31-05-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-TANGE-NATIONAL-FRAME-FORK-KUWAHARA-/180672746779?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts&hash=item2a10ef551b

Battered Sav
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Why do we sell our prized possesions?

Well, in my case, it was to raise money to buy a 1979 RM125......and so the love affair began.

rabskyline
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
still looking but leaning more towards a haro master 24" IF i can find one ! theres a 24" goose on bay, seller wants 2000 bucks for it ! .hmmmmm

EdgyAl
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Time for a custom pushy thread?

Cain
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I used to race a crispy brothers bike. Was first person in the alice springs club to have the skinny wheels. Competed in darwin and came 2nd after leading because my chain derailed :(

Thankfully my cousings "Borrowed" So im trying to get it back.

Much thanks to this thread.

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Get my redline today!!!, I feel like a 10 year old again.

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Al,you know the deal. Pics or not true !!!!

Hey cain. I had 21" race 1.25 rims also !! Great for
Skinny kids on hard pack ! Terrible if you hook up on whoops as they fold badly :(

Jonno
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Just be wary, guys. All of the old-school quality brands are completely different these days - Haro, Redline, Mongoose etc are all low-quality bikes with very few exceptions (such as Redline's high-end race bikes, which still aren't much chop). They lost their appeal in the mid 90's and now you won't find anybody who's serious about BMX riding them, unless they get paid to. A 10 year old Redline or Mongoose is no better than a Huffy of the same time.

Cain
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Skinny kids on hard pack ! Terrible if you hook up on whoops as they fold badly :(

I never had any issues. Except when crossing a slatted wooden bridge. Front wheel fell between the gaps. Quick stop that was.

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Just be wary, guys. All of the old-school quality brands are completely different these days - Haro, Redline, Mongoose etc are all low-quality bikes with very few exceptions (such as Redline's high-end race bikes, which still aren't much chop). They lost their appeal in the mid 90's and now you won't find anybody who's serious about BMX riding them, unless they get paid to. A 10 year old Redline or Mongoose is no better than a Huffy of the same time.

Hence why we're into pre 90's old school bmx bikes. Mostly American Frame and fork sets apart from kuwahara and a few rare others.

I wouldn't buy a post 89 bike as I am looking for a bike of my early teen yrs. Nostalgia.

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Here she is, turns out to be a 1983 MXII, a bit shabby, but will come up ok with a bit of elbow grease and lots of stubbies.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/redline.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00339-Copy.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00342.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00341.jpg
And check out the old school trycicle I scored for my youngest, all made of folded tin sheet and tube.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00344.jpg

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Check out my fully sick choppermiester custom, This is the smoko shop bike, it has claimed a couple of victims, never try to stand and pedal, or attempt front brake when cornering, mega wash out, and face plant material.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/DSC00267.jpg

threadersmal
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM

I think my bro has my redline

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeeeee, haaaaa!!!!, just got a call from a mate, and it looks like I have secured the Kuwahara bmx and a Kuwahara cruiser bmx (big one), they have been in a roof cavity for the last 20 or so years, so it's a lottery how good they are, fingers crossed eh!!

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm half cut and excited, can't find reproduction sticker kits anywhwere for this bike, any idea's dudes??
By the way, Woodfords Reserve is the best bourbon I've had yet, yum.

rideo
04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm half cut and excited, can't find reproduction sticker kits anywhwere for this bike, any idea's dudes??

If you can find a sample of the originals then any graphics company worth their salt will reproduce them for ya.

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
hey Al, those original foamies from the 80's ? what about the comp 111's ? they real too ?

looks like a SR headstem ? and you've no idea how hard it is to find large flange suzue hubs mate ! :) good starter !!!!

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeeeee, haaaaa!!!!, just got a call from a mate, and it looks like I have secured the Kuwahara bmx and a Kuwahara cruiser bmx (big one), they have been in a roof cavity for the last 20 or so years, so it's a lottery how good they are, fingers crossed eh!!

Baaaaassssttttaaaaarrrrddddd !!!!!! :sad-smile

ps, loads fo online ebay US have the sticker kits ! :)

EdgyAl
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
hey Al, those original foamies from the 80's ? what about the comp 111's ? they real too ?

looks like a SR headstem ? and you've no idea how hard it is to find large flange suzue hubs mate ! :) good starter !!!!
Yep, 80's tyres, and what are comp 111's?
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00343.jpg

Blulu
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Why do we sell our prized possesions?

Well, in my case, it was to raise money to buy a 1979 RM125......and so the love affair began.

I sold my Mongoose, CW bars, GT layback seatpole, Graphite Tuffs, etc,etc,etc, and the funds paid to register my DT250.
Sure i would love to have that bike now, just for the brake levers, i made in metalwork and had chrome plated, the crazy shit i did on that bike, aaaahhhhhhh.
Those were the days, jeez, i still have the scars.

Whoobz?
04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
You fellas have got me going too now.

I know where my old 20" Redline with yellow Tuff II's is. I wonder if I can buy it back?

Whoobz?
04-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I remember the biggest pain in the ass was finding a seat post that wouldn't bend easily.

There was the laid back plain chromed steel job with a built in support bar, but that just made it bend at the bottom.
Then there was the splined alloy units. The post I had on my old Redline was a yellow splined job.

Blulu
You fellas have got me going too now.

I know where my old 20" Redline with yellow Tuff II's is. I wonder if I can buy it back?

Good luck!

rabskyline
suntour headstem, circa mid 80's. comp 3's are the rubber ! v bars are shit, hated them always ! too narrow ! rest looks sweet ! some autosol and yer away !!! :)

Thanks to Al, I now have a white uni (used to be ) and fibreglass seat post. looking for 24" araya aero rims or ACS rims next.

Whoobz?
04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Hey Riders, I also had a Crossrider 1 and Crossrider 2.
I was actually the first kid that had a genuine BMX at Ocean Grove Primary back in 1979 or so.

I remember those old black dual suspension bikes too. I think Repco and Yamaha had versions of them. You know, with the telescopic front fork and monoshock under the wedgie bar. Awesome.

Then there was the Ripper Gripters. Like Timmy had, on the Famous Five TV show. *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& I wanted one of those.

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 11:38 PM
I remember the biggest pain in the ass was finding a seat post that wouldn't bend easily.

There was the laid back plain chromed steel job with a built in support bar, but that just made it bend at the bottom.
Then there was the splined alloy units. The post I had on my old Redline was a yellow splined job.

seats are/were for when your stopped racing/falling off and gassing with yer mates trackside ! not for sit down wheelies at all which is what bends them. It's stand up pedal wheelies on those old bikes ! (something else for you to master oh master wheelie one !^nwrt

Whoobz?
04-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Good luck!

I'll keep ya's updated.

rabskyline
04-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Hey Riders, I also had a Crossrider 1 and Crossrider 2.
I was actually the first kid that had a genuine BMX at Ocean Grove Primary back in 1979 or so.

I remember those old black dual suspension bikes too. I think Repco and Yamaha had versions of them. You know, with the telescopic front fork and monoshock under the wedgie bar. Awesome.

Then there was the Ripper Gripters. Like Timmy had, on the Famous Five TV show. *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& I wanted one of those.

there is a UK grifter on Aussie ebay now ! looks like shit and i had a commando (same only camo paint ) and weighed a fricken tonne! ^lol

Whoobz?
04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
there is a UK grifter on Aussie ebay now ! looks like shit and i had a commando (same only camo paint ) and weighed a fricken tonne! ^lol
Chuck the link up mannnn.

I going to bed now tho. Dream about the old days.

Goodnight PJ, Goose and Judy...

Blulu
05-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Mongoose, graphite tuffs, CW bars, GT layback seatpole, Vans ( the first batch in the country) Circa 1982, RL osbourne jersey (bicycle motocross action)
Thats me at a skatepark in Epping, sorry bout the photo of a photo, batteries are nearly flat, best i can do for now.

fnlow
05-06-2011, 12:12 AM
www.ozbmx.com.au its the dbw of old school bmx. If you blokes didn't already know.

rabskyline
05-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Mongoose, graphite tuffs, CW bars, GT layback seatpole, Vans ( the first batch in the country) Circa 1982, RL osbourne jersey (bicycle motocross action)
Thats me at a skatepark in Epping, sorry bout the photo of a photo, batteries are nearly flat, best i can do for now.

cool pic lulu ! ^nwrt

gotta love nostalgic bmx !

I used to leave the house about 8am in summer holidays and not return home till dark about 10.30pm, every day for 6/7weeks. every year from about 11-16.

^nuts

here hoobster !
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-RALEIGH-GRIFTER-BMX-BIKE-RARE-ENGLISH-1970s-/270753602646?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item3f0a2c1c56#ht_572wt_1139

karlmagoo
05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Kastan uniblade anyone?.......................................

^clap

rabskyline
05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
had never seen or heard of those..weird front end !

rideo
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM

I had one of them splined jobs, only the once though until it broke nearly killing me.
I was riding back to work from lunch as a 17y/o, sitting at the lights, they went green i took off, sprinted across the intersection in front of traffic as ya do...got to the other side sat down while still pedaling and the fkn thing went snap.
I hadn't cleared the lanes of traffic as i fell backwards off the bike with my right leg dragging backwards over the exposed 1.5'' of jagged splined alloy, it stabbed me just above the back of my knee and tore a great gash as i continued falling to the pavement in front of a truck that was bearing down on me.
I only just managed to roll out of its way while dragging the bike of course before the truck went past.
According to xrays i had done a cuppla months ago i think i still have a chunk of alloy embedded in there from then.

rideo
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
cool pic lulu ! ^nwrt

gotta love nostalgic bmx !

I used to leave the house about 8am in summer holidays and not return home till dark about 10.30pm, every day for 6/7weeks. every year from about 11-16.

^nuts

here hoobster !
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-RALEIGH-GRIFTER-BMX-BIKE-RARE-ENGLISH-1970s-/270753602646?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item3f0a2c1c56#ht_572wt_1139

Maybe i should post up some old pics for ya of race days Rabs...

rabskyline
05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
yeah do that, I don't have any of mine. My parents never came to any of my races. I went with the local Bike shop owner in a van with about 6 kids and bikes in it ! :)

fluted /splined seat post was an SR...usually two tone, silver and either red/blue/black/yellow anodising !

EdgyAl
05-06-2011, 09:15 PM
So, the project begins, don't worry mr Rabs, the seat is still yours!, need opinions on whether to leave the faded pink anodising, or blast and paint or blast and clear coat ( I have a little blast cabinet).
Since stripping, found the following,
Tange CV-170 crankshaft, Sugino racing cranks
KKT Lightning pedals
Araya front wheel
Ukai rear wheel
Suntour headset
Also can't make my mind up between re chroming the frame or blast and paint red or white.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/160.jpg

rabskyline
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Most are 170/175 range BB's. Looking good Al :)

Blulu
06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
So, the project begins, don't worry mr Rabs, the seat is still yours!, need opinions on whether to leave the faded pink anodising, or blast and paint or blast and clear coat ( I have a little blast cabinet).
KKT Lightning pedals
Araya front wheel
Ukai rear wheel
Suntour headset
Also can't make my mind up between re chroming the frame or blast and paint red or white.

Maybe rechrome; if it really needs it, can you get another sticker kit?
I would get some chrome bars, a new seat and ride it.
Don't paint the frame, chrome is classic!!!
Fresh anodising on the headstem, seatpole clamp, and brakes, wheels even, that would be awesome.
Have fun!

rabskyline
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
clean it up as good as possible but keep as much genuine as you can, ie, frame and forks etc. headstem and bars look like they could use a recoat but may make the frame look tatty after refurb ?

Battered Sav
06-06-2011, 12:11 PM

I concur, very good bourbon. :grinning-

EdgyAl
06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Most are 170/175 range BB's. Looking good Al :)

No comprende?
And Cornelius took flight this morning.

rabskyline
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
No comprende?
And Cornelius took flight this morning.

170mm or 175mm crank length. takagi, tuffneck, redline proflite etc...:cheers

EdgyAl
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
KKT Lightning pedals
Araya front wheel
Ukai rear wheel
Suntour headset

I got a bit carried away,
Frame and forks at the chromers,
hangers getting full blast and polish,
All other red bits getting re anodised,
New staino spokes on the way,
New sticker kit on the way,
all other bits getting polished or chromed.
Missus has suspended funding, Quote, "for your daughter, bullshit!"
It's gonna look good!

rabskyline
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
haha, quality !

ps, thanks for the seaweed cracker packet and the bottle tops.... ya mad bastid :D

oh, and the distinct smell of a wood fire or camp fire !!

EdgyAl
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
haha, quality !

ps, thanks for the seaweed cracker packet and the bottle tops.... ya mad bastid :D

oh, and the distinct smell of a wood fire or camp fire !!

That was and interesting night, was there any fur in the box?

Blulu
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I got a bit carried away,
Frame and forks at the chromers,
hangers getting full blast and polish,
All other red bits getting re anodised,
New staino spokes on the way,
New sticker kit on the way,
all other bits getting polished or chromed.
Missus has suspended funding, Quote, "for your daughter, bullshit!"
It's gonna look good!

Masterpeice in the making!

Give the missus an asprin!
Refer to clean jokes thread! post # 307

rabskyline
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
That was and interesting night, was there any fur in the box?

Fur ? wtf ? ^nuts

eh no, stink of burning embers (woodt smell , ya get the drift) bottle tops, empty snak packet and some dirt !

is there something I should know ? missing pet ? ^lol

EdgyAl
09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Fur ? wtf ? ^nuts

eh no, stink of burning embers (woodt smell , ya get the drift) bottle tops, empty snak packet and some dirt !

is there something I should know ? missing pet ? ^lol

Not the whole pet.

EdgyAl
12-08-2011, 08:13 AM
The Build has begun, more bits from feebay on the way.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00472.jpg

Gasman
12-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll jump in first here ........

what motor is that you are putting into that frame ..........

^lol

EdgyAl
12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I'll jump in first here ........

what motor is that you are putting into that frame ..........

^lol

I have a few projects on the go, that ones for the weekend, get the 300 back together, I just got the bottom end back and picking all the last parts up this arvo, back on the trails again soon, can't wait.

rabskyline
12-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Missed out on another 24"haro
starting to bug me :D

That looks great Al.

EdgyAl
14-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Ebay and beer don't mix, my wife just went balistic, "how can you spend that much out of our account on an old shitty pushbike you drunken inconsiderate *******", blah blah, blah, lucky for her it's illegal to shove an old sock down your wife's throat in Australia. Like 30 pairs of F&*king shoes are needed!!
I got a pair of volley's, a pair of workboots, a pair of bike boots, a pair of going out sneakers, and the shiny black Target p o o f shoes I got married in.
Rant over, Another longneck and order some pedals, ha!!

rabskyline
14-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Ebay and beer don't mix, my wife just went balistic, "how can you spend that much out of our account on an old shitty pushbike you drunken inconsiderate *******", blah blah, blah, lucky for her it's illegal to shove an old sock down your wife's throat in Australia. Like 30 pairs of F&*king shoes are needed!!
I got a pair of volley's, a pair of workboots, a pair of bike boots, a pair of going out sneakers, and the shiny black Target p o o f shoes I got married in.

Haha. That's *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&ing true. 30 pair of shoes ? Wtf is that about !? Imelda Marcos had less :D

Blulu
14-08-2011, 10:45 PM
And then there the *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&en Hand bags

And $100+ dollar dresses they never even wear,^nuts

No wonder we drink :cheers:cheers:cheers

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Check this shit out! F a a a r k me!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300588123801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Battered Sav
18-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Tell him he's dreaming. ;)

rabskyline
18-08-2011, 01:17 PM
haha, *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&ing drug addict !

seen a 24" supergoose go recently for over a grand ! complete bike in decent nick but 3k for a F+F , nutcase !

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Have another look, that's not asking price, that's the current bid out of 29

rabskyline
18-08-2011, 01:40 PM
yeah just realised that, shit it must be rare as hens teeth ! still silly money . collectors item ? headset that is on it but incomplete is just a stock piece of shit too...

wence
18-08-2011, 08:38 PM
What is an old Mongoose, first of the chrome moly type frames , with skyway3 tuffs and in completely original condition worth?
When I say original i mean that nothing is changed. It needs a new crank though.
Any ideas???
Cheers Mark

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 08:40 PM
What is an old Mongoose, first of the chrome moly type frames , with skyway3 tuffs and in completely original condition worth?
When I say original i mean that nothing is changed. It needs a new crank though.
Any ideas???
Cheers Mark

Mate, check out www.ozbmx.com.au
It's like this site for old pushies, they will tell you everything.Good site.
Actually forget that, it's worth only about 20 bucks, but I will give you $100.

wence
18-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Had a quick look and the tuffs are worth more than the bike from what I can see. I will have to and check exactly what numbers are on the bike.
I do know it had a bastard of a headstem set up that was square and you always kit your kinee on it when pedalling hard.
Cheers mark

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Had a quick look and the tuffs are worth more than the bike from what I can see. I will have to and check exactly what numbers are on the bike.
I do know it had a bastard of a headstem set up that was square and you always kit your kinee on it when pedalling hard.
Cheers mark

OK then $150

wence
18-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I just went out to have a look and this is what I found under the crank housing.
OC1

tuffs are skyway patent 244272, tuff wheel 2.
I reckon the bike must be at least 25 years old.
I will do some researching.
Cheers Mark

Blulu
18-08-2011, 09:08 PM
If the tuffs are blue or black, i'll give you $200.:grinning-

gizmoe
18-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I still have my old Mongoose Californian Pro I built back in 1988.

It needs some tlc & I purchased some bits to bet it back together, then I lost the motavation so the old bike & its bits are still in the process of rebuild.

It is onto its 3rd set of wheels as the others were 20*1/18th & 20*1 3/8 & I have always been a bit tough on wheels.

Currently has 48 spoke 20" freestyle wheels so my heavy ass didnt wreck them.

It's a bitsa with DB headstem, Powerlite bars with the bent ends, GT seat pole, Sugino GT 3 pce cranks & Dia comp rear brake.

I had a Redline a few years ago, but off loaded that to a mate in a swap for a road pushie.

Also inherited my Brothers Mongoose IBOC Pro Mountain bike from around the 1990 era with marzocchi forks that now leak like a sieve & I can't find seals for them.

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 09:34 PM
i just went out to have a look and this is what i found under the crank housing.
Oc1

tuffs are skyway patent 244272, tuff wheel 2.
I reckon the bike must be at least 25 years old.
I will do some researching.
Cheers mark

$175

wence
18-08-2011, 09:38 PM
After a bit of research i reckon it is an 81/82 Mongoose 2 or 3.
Not 100% sure though.
What would you want with it Al , it is old and dusty?
Cheers Mark

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 09:40 PM
After a bit of research i reckon it is an 81/82 Mongoose 2 or 3.
Not 100% sure though.
What would you want with it Al , it is old and dusty?
Cheers Mark
I like restoring old pushie's. check post 78 & 118

yz426monster
18-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I have a Reynolds racing BMX sitting in my garage. This thing got me to Vic #5 and Vic #6 in the late 1990's. Ordered from the USA, Craig Reynolds is a well know racer. It's a white Rap 42 model. What is a Rap 42.Pretty simple the wheels base was 42 inch. As i'm 6ft4", I needed it. It has GT 3-piece 185mm sealed cranks which have not been touched for over 10 years, work like new! GT buzzsaw disc, cantilever brakes, Powerlite bars, GT stem. Standard alloy wheels ( not sealed ), Crupi pedals, Tioga tyres. Needs to be re-painted, I started to restore the paint but have lost interest, I can get my hands on a set of new stickers. Sitting in the shed doing nothing, has to be a collector item going by the US bike sites. Anyone interested, let me know and we can talk a price or swap it for something to do with MX.

gizmoe
18-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I have a Reynolds racing BMX sitting in my garage. This thing got me to Vic #5 and Vic #6 in the late 1990's. Ordered from the USA, Craig Reynolds is a well know racer. It's a white Rap 42 model. What is a Rap 42.Pretty simple the wheels base was 42 inch. As i'm 6ft4", I needed it. It has GT 3-piece 185mm sealed cranks which have not been touched for over 10 years, work like new! GT buzzsaw disc, cantilever brakes, Powerlite bars, GT stem. Standard alloy wheels ( not sealed ), Crupi pedals, Tioga tyres. Needs to be re-painted, I started to restore the paint but have lost interest, I can get my hands on a set of new stickers. Sitting in the shed doing nothing, has to be a collector item going by the US bike sites. Anyone interested, let me know and we can talk a price or swap it for something to do with MX.

Are they the bent end bars like my Goose?

Mate had a SLA & thats how I ended up with the bars..

wence
18-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Black tuffs by the way.

wence
18-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I'll take a picture tomorrow night and post it up so you can see it and tell me exactly what you reckon it is.
Cheers Mark

rabskyline
18-08-2011, 09:59 PM
oh, where do you want to start with goose.....hmmmm they sold their soul to satan in the late 90's and anything made after that had no soul and could be compared with repco ! :D

as for selling it, I hate dutch auctions but Al has one and Lulu is fishing, I genuinely want it, the rest are timewasters ! :D

ps, put a pic up and I'll disect what's on it for ya !

another note, big sharp headstem, tuffneck ! great kit, billet square as hell with tigers head on them !

on another note, I am stil interested in a 24" cruiser bmx, not any modern sou-les shite, early 80's ! coooool as bro ! :)

rabskyline
18-08-2011, 10:00 PM
goose had shit loads of bikes with V bars. seemed to be their biggest seller.

my fav were CW and they are still a rare bike in F+F especially.

EdgyAl
18-08-2011, 10:00 PM
DIBS, Beat ya rabs.

Blulu
18-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm lookin fwd to the pic, ummm black tuffs.

rabskyline
18-08-2011, 10:07 PM
DIBS, Beat ya rabs.

^mad

yz426monster
19-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Yeh my Powerlite bars are the bent end ones too. Except I have cut a bit from the ends which helped my riding. Im willing to seperate my bike too if anyone needs a select part.

wence
19-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Ok boys, what have I got here and what is it worth.
Just to let you all know that I am not planning on selling but just curious at the moment,
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050176.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050175.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050174.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050173.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050172.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/wence555/P1050177.jpg
Cheers Mark

gizmoe
19-08-2011, 09:12 PM
1st pic I said Mongoose straight up from the rectangle bit going onto the bottom bracket, but the back end not being a loop had me thinking maybe not.

After seeing the steering head with the mongoose on it I said bingo....

I have a 20*1/18 wheel with a sealed bearing sunshine hub floating around here somewhere.

It was pretty trick especially as it was from the early to mid 80's way before sealed hubs were common place..

Also had double sided thread so you could run 2 different rear sprockets...

All this stuff was probably made in the USA, Imagine that!

The old Mongoose mtb has lots of made in japan stuff on it even.... WOW!!

wence
19-08-2011, 09:15 PM
According to the decals , this was made in the Usa .
Cheers Mark

Grip Twister
20-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I have been drooling over some seriously nice old school 80's bmx bikes and have a serious urge to either buy one that's a good runner and needs some NOS parts to make original or buy a basket case frame and forks and build to a spec.

Anyone doing it or done it or have anything old they might like to part with ?

thing i would like....SE racing, Kuwahara ET model, old redline , white fox, Hutch pro star, gt pro performer (banana if possible) haro blue black/red black chrome F+F. 24" HARO master, skyway tuff. or indeed any pre 86 parts to make up nice old bike !

I've got a early 80's Mongoose. complete with INVADER LITE Pads. Problem is, it's been sitting out in the weather for the past 10 years and the frame and bits on it are a little worse for wear. I did have TUFFS on it but I used to thrash them doing 360's and the bearing casing on them warped. Went through 3 sets of rear tuffs in my day.

I also own a 1999 Haro Zippo, which I won in Coke Competition, I rode it twice and put it out in the weather, now it's got plenty of RUST on it.

This is my ZIPPO (http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/20872), well this is what it looked like after I rode it twice and before I put it out in the weather..

EdgyAl
28-08-2011, 03:12 PM
G'day dudes and dudettes,
I was just endulging in some brain inspiring ale with a mate, and after some bmx discussion, he said he used to race about 20 years or more ago and still had his old cruiser in the roof, after some more fluid to limber him up, we climed into the roof and pulled a pushy down, I ended up parting with 2 hungee and took a bike home, I don't know if I got ripped off or not, It is a Cycle pro Bonzai 24 inch bmx in average nick, can anybody shed some light on this bike please, I like it as it is a good comfy size to cruise around on, and looks cool as, I think a full resto could be on the cards,
Cheers al.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00495.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00496.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00501.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00498.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00503.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00499.jpg

rabskyline
28-08-2011, 04:47 PM
dirty smelly lucky jammy bastard ! :D

SR headstem are average and suntour sx pedals I think,

quick release diacompe caliper power ring and 43 sugino sprocket, large flange hugs and ukai rims I think. 180mm takagi crank . most components are basic spec but all good anyway , I am jealous ! :D

EdgyAl
28-08-2011, 06:12 PM
dirty smelly lucky jammy bastard ! :D

SR headstem are average and suntour sx pedals I think,

quick release diacompe caliper power ring and 43 sugino sprocket, large flange hugs and ukai rims I think. 180mm takagi crank . most components are basic spec but all good anyway , I am jealous ! :D

Rims are Araya's and here's the pegs
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00502.jpg

rabskyline
28-08-2011, 07:41 PM
look like KKT pedals. edit, SR pedals.

araya are good rims. should clean up nice mate ! :)

original snake belly tyres look knackered !
kashimax aero seat ?

rabskyline
08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Well looks what I bought. Not real old skool but full pro Reno. Love it !

Jimmy
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I finally found an old school hack and picked it up this week from a guy who had 40+ proper old school BMXs in show room cond. His house was like a freaking museum for 70s/80s BMX...so many of the nice machines we used to see around, old school redline, mongoose, hutch, torker, pk.

Now i have to do a full side hack resto before Christmas day! arghhh.

rabskyline
09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I finally found an old school hack and picked it up this week from a guy who had 40+ proper old school BMXs in show room cond. His house was like a freaking museum for 70s/80s BMX...so many of the nice machines we used to see around, old school redline, mongoose, hutch, torker, pk.

Now i have to do a full side hack resto before Christmas day! arghhh.

I thought for the moneyh and time this bloke spent on this, it was a bargain and I asked him to keep an eye out for a 24" haro master.

surprised there were no g a y pink statements ! ^lol

Haro also made these in a pale mint green, very nice !

cmg
09-12-2011, 09:31 PM
surprised there were no g a y pink statements ! ^lol

bars and seat are too high for you, colour suits you

EdgyAl
09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I am never going to have the time to finish my bmx projects and time to cull, as I have lots of "good idea" projects in the shed. If I sell all the bmx gear, I can turn it into a new helmet, and some new bits for my boat, two things I actually use. Will post up some photo's over the weekend. Quick list is-
1981/82 Redline MXII, frame & forks professionally rechromed and re stickered. All parts for bike to reassemble, no anodising re-done yet.

1982? Tange built cyclepro 24" cruiser, complete origional survivor

Various new in box bits and peices.

Will work out some prices over the weekend and repost with pics, open to any reasonable offers or a package deal. If nobody on here shows any interest in a week or so will put on OZBMX and feebay, PM if interested, Can inspect in Newcastle.
Cheers Al.

muffBERGer
09-12-2011, 09:46 PM

So the boss has spoken^lol

cmg
09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
its only illegal if you get caught ;)

EdgyAl
09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
So the boss has spoken^lol

She don't know I'm selling anything, and she won't know what I buy with the proceeds.

I hope?

rabskyline
10-12-2011, 12:17 AM
I have come to the conclusion that I am never going to have the time to finish my bmx projects and time to cull, as I have lots of "good idea" projects in the shed. If I sell all the bmx gear, I can turn it into a new helmet, and some new bits for my boat, two things I actually use. Will post up some photo's over the weekend. Quick list is-
1981/82 Redline MXII, frame & forks professionally rechromed and re stickered. All parts for bike to reassemble, no anodising re-done yet.

1982? Tange built cyclepro 24" cruiser, complete origional survivor

Various new in box bits and peices.

Will work out some prices over the weekend and repost with pics, open to any reasonable offers or a package deal. If nobody on here shows any interest in a week or so will put on OZBMX and feebay, PM if interested, Can inspect in Newcastle.
Cheers Al.

you sir, are a *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& ! 2 days too late, ye know, that crystal ball you bought is nothing other than a glass bollock ! ^tng

soarerman
10-12-2011, 12:21 AM
i love the redline, what parts do you have with it? price?

rabskyline
10-12-2011, 06:41 AM
How does that motor go in the redline Al ?

EdgyAl
10-12-2011, 11:03 AM
i love the redline, what parts do you have with it? price?

It's a complete bike minus the seat(rabs scored that), have stripped it down, done the frame & forks & stickers, have new red kenda comp 3 tyres, new levers, new seatpost, various other bits & peices. Still needs the red alloy bits re anodising,(about $150) been quoted for all of it. Still trying to track down a decent padset.
Whole lot for $500 (and I'm still losing money)
Will probably put the cruiser on feebay, as they go for pretty good coin.
Not keen to get rid of them, but will probably never finish them, so if somebody waves the coin, they are history.

EdgyAl
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
How does that motor go in the redline Al ?

That motor goes like a scalded cat back in the moto sickle, too much for this little man. But heaps of fun.

rabskyline
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
you'll regret selling these dude ! you know it ! bin the missus instead !

EdgyAl
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
you'll regret selling these dude ! you know it ! bin the missus instead !

F*&K it Rabs!!!!, you are right, might change my mind.

rabskyline
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
F*&K it Rabs!!!!, you are right, might change my mind.

You know it mate ! Put them away for a while if a bit shy on play funds, wish I had done this with some bikes in the not so distant past !

tallwombat
11-12-2011, 08:31 PM
i had 2 of those mx-2 when i was about 12 or 13, 1 was my brothers but he grew out of it, sad to say both of them snapped at the neck and both went to the tip. i did jump it hard for a young kid.

cwbyup
13-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I have a Haro Ci Chrome frame forks and box of crap siting here that I dont have time to play with.

Free to first DBW'er that wants a project.

Would prefer it to go to someone that is interested in rebuilding it.

Based in Mcgraths Hill NSW

PM me if interested.

rabskyline
14-01-2012, 12:42 AM
I'll have it if y'all can post ( I pay of course)

EdgyAl
14-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I'll pay for post and throw in a Dan murphy's voucher

Brugger
14-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Just out of interest, how much do you fellas think a set of blue tuff II's would be worth?

rabskyline
14-01-2012, 02:53 PM
200 if really good nick and
Originals ,Plenty around.

Brugger
14-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Shit, I chucked a perfect set out a few years ago, oh well

cwbyup
14-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll get some photos tomorrow night so you can see what your getting and make sure your keen.

I would hate for someone to pay for post, then get it and think it wasn't worth the hassle.

Cheers Nick

DirtBilby
15-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Just out of interest, how much do you fellas think a set of blue tuff II's would be worth?

I had a set of those back in the day
Heavy as but indestructible !!!!!
Might be my old ones !
Where did you pick them up from ?

rabskyline
15-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Lots of skyways on eBay Australia ,UK and America.
Heavy as they're freestyle and ramp orientated where weight is usable !
If you can find ACS "Z" rims in any colour, grab em !!!

cwbyup
16-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Photos of Frame

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0789.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0786.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0782.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0788.jpg

Brugger
16-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I had a set of those back in the day
Heavy as but indestructible !!!!!
Might be my old ones !
Where did you pick them up from ?

They were on a bike I bought off a mate for $30. Was a good bike until I cracked the frame.:(

EdgyAl
16-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Photos of Frame

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0789.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0786.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0782.jpg

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/cwbyup/?action=view&current=IMG_0788.jpg
Mate, 309,000km, too much for a haro!

DirtBilby
16-01-2012, 10:37 PM
They were on a bike I bought off a mate for $30. Was a good bike until I cracked the frame.:(

My Dad brought them home from Singapore in the 80's when he was in the Navy . Great bike Black Horse ( the r fell off mine so it was a Black Hose )
Great BMX never new what happened to it , could be the same :laughing-:grinning-

Brugger
16-01-2012, 10:49 PM
My Dad brought them home from Singapore in the 80's when he was in the Navy . Great bike Black Horse ( the r fell off mine so it was a Black Hose )
Great BMX never new what happened to it , could be the same :laughing-:grinning-

This one had been repainted white so no stickers on it, it was a distinctive frame though, it had twin top tubes that ran in one piece all the way to the back axle.

DirtBilby
16-01-2012, 11:03 PM
This one had been repainted white so no stickers on it, it was a distinctive frame though, it had twin top tubes that ran in one piece all the way to the back axle.

Mine was a traditional type frame but my Bro did use a Madisson frame to rebuild his

Sweet looking bike

Mine always had Oakley stickers on them cause I thought they looked cool ^nuts

AndrewinTas
17-01-2012, 09:37 PM
my 11 and 13 year old sons bought some of those bonus magazines for $1 each with utes and hod rods and in one was this pic of this BMX
took pic from magazine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/new%20phone/DSC_1349.jpg

Ive been watching this thread having been a loving owner of a diamond back in the mid eighties

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/new%20phone/DSC_1350.jpg

thought this was pretty good

gizmoe
25-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Where can I obtain parts such as bottom brackets & headset bearings,cup etc for the old Mongoose?

I talked to a bike shop a few years ago & the young fella didnt think he could help as he had only ever played with the newer Euro bottom brackets etc.

Can you still get some decent Diacompe brakes in the old school setup?

Everything seems to be U, V or Disc brakes nowdays.

I purchased a Mirraco Essex yesterday to enable me to go riding with my Daughter at the skatepark & around town & man is it hard work. Damn seats are too damn low, on stupid angles & not adjustable & then the tiny seat like I used to have on the Mongoose when I was 15 but my ass is a fair bit bigger now.

Update

I purchased some bits for the old Goose.

They are Redline bits but it will add to the Bitza look I have always had.

I will try to remove the logos as long as it doesn't damage the other paint.

gizmoe
15-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm getting abit closer.

I picked up the Powerlight bars from the Powder coaters today, but still have to get the mate to rectify the headset on the old Goose.

Once I get the headset sorted, I have enough new parts to get it all back together.

rabskyline
15-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry Mate, I missed the post looking for info.

Looks great crank looks good in Mat black, not fussed on chain ring though, looks a bit nazi :D

Would a large pipe bender in a vice help "round " the headstock back into shape ? or a place that makes exhausts ?

rabskyline
15-03-2012, 04:55 PM
you can buy dia compe brakes, quick release tabs, tuff pads, AME grips, mushrooms and everything NOS or new in old spec from the states and UK.
I have original AME grips on mine and the best grips ever and way cool ! :)

gizmoe
16-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I have purchased some new old school Mongoose grips from vintage mongoose.com

Might have to get the DB gooseneck powder coated now, with the shiny bars, it makes the faded white & paint chips show up big time.

Still need to sort the seat out as I don't have the parts to attach the seat to the seat pole. Everything now is pivotal or fixed.

having some issues getting spokes for the old 48 spoke wheels as the spokes appear to be about 16 guage. new stuff is 14 or 12.

As for the 44t sprocket, I now have a 36t Poverty wheel & odyssey 13t rear sprocket for the old girl.

I like the small sprocket look & although its not the traditional old school look, I will ride this around the place & bang it into things like the new Mirraco.

rabskyline
16-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah old gearing is 44/16. Sugino spider and takagi cranks on those old gooses I am sure.
See if you can get s tuff neck stem. They look top drawer(well, they are top drawer).

You may also get old spokes dipped and re use if not pitted to hell.

Kashimax aero or dominator is what seat you need.

(damn spell checker changed sugino to surging, POS).

Agent86
17-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I have a pair of tuffs sitting here if anyone wants them. only thing is the ratchet in the gears is worn, and seeing as somone nicked my old mongoose, i have no reason to fix it.

rabskyline
17-03-2012, 10:57 AM
What colour mate ? I am after a pair of blue or pink.
Rear sprocket is just a 16 tooth reverse thread job. Easy to get hold of.

Agent86
17-03-2012, 02:13 PM
What colour mate ? I am after a pair of blue or pink.
Rear sprocket is just a 16 tooth reverse thread job. Easy to get hold of.

Blue mate, they have been sitting around for a long time, Dont really want to throw them away.

cmg
17-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Diamondback on E-bay

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/bmx-fahrad-diamondback-/190653893023?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrr%C3%A4der&hash=item2c63db899f

might keep an eye on this one

gizmoe
17-03-2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.retrospectbmx.com/brakes.html

EdgyAl
17-03-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.retrospectbmx.com/brakes.html

Hey Gizmoe, check out
www.ozbmx.com.au
Just like DBW for bmx, heaps of good blokes and info.

cmg
17-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Diamondback on E-bay

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/bmx-fahrad-diamondback-/190653893023?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrr%C3%A4der&hash=item2c63db899f

might keep an eye on this one

there's not much info in the ad, but its condition looks OK, and he says everything is ok.......^dunno

Im thinking maybe something to try a little trials on :rr

what should I expect to pay? (forget about currencies/postage etc, just say an Aussie price)

gizmoe
17-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Found a few shops now.

Ordered a new Viscount Black seat a few minutes ago.

Just need some Diacompe Brakes, which I will have to save for.

Got the Mongoose Grips, Odyssey Headset, Redline Monster Cranks & BB bottom bracket, Redline Alloy Pedals, Poverty 36T front sprocket, Odyssey 13T rear sprocket, Salt Chain, tubes, tyres & now the New Viscount seat!

Still Gotta get the mate to check out the headset options.

Who would be a good rechroming option?

Thought I read that Nickel Plating might be better as the Chrome isnt the same as on the old school bmx & will be the wrong colour?

gizmoe
18-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Any of you Lads heard or remember Super LA Bmx's?

What about Peddle Power racegear?

Travis Turesson?

Travis's dad is a flooring rep that we deal with.

www.bmxultra.com/prosection/interview/travisturesson.htm

rabskyline
18-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Blue mate, they have been sitting around for a long time, Dont really want to throw them away.

Love the to,compliment my haro, pm me a price and piccie :)

rabskyline
18-03-2012, 12:26 AM
there's not much info in the ad, but its condition looks OK, and he says everything is ok.......^dunno

Im thinking maybe something to try a little trials on :rr

what should I expect to pay? (forget about currencies/postage etc, just say an Aussie price)

Not old school, 90's at best, prob 2000 onwards.
Not a cool bike.

rabskyline
18-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Found a few shops now.

Ordered a new Viscount Black seat a few minutes ago.

Just need some Diacompe Brakes, which I will have to save for.

Got the Mongoose Grips, Odyssey Headset, Redline Monster Cranks & BB bottom bracket, Redline Alloy Pedals, Poverty 36T front sprocket, Odyssey 13T rear sprocket, Salt Chain, tubes, tyres & now the New Viscount seat!

Still Gotta get the mate to check out the headset options.

Who would be a good rechroming option?

Thought I read that Nickel Plating might be better as the Chrome isnt the same as on the old school bmx & will be the wrong colour?

There's shit loads wrong with that pic if trying to keep original.

Personally, wouldn't bother and just wait till I get right bits.
I have a uni seat( thanks Al) and will wait a year or more till I find a true 80's bike to fit it to.
My haro is a 2000 bike but it is what it is, I wouldn't desecrate a super goose or Californian with modern cheap parts.

gizmoe
18-03-2012, 12:39 AM
My old bike was never a std showroom Mongoose Californian Pro.

We built it with the bits we liked or had access to in 88-90.

It started out with 20*1/18th wheels, then 20*1 3/8th then the 20*1.75, think its on the 3rd set of 20*1.75 wheels.

Mentioned it earlier, it had Sugino GT 3pce cranks from new when we built it, but they are abit ordinary now & I got access to these bits easily.

I thought about a set of crmo 1 piece cranks, sugino spider & chainwheel, but it never had them in the 1st place.

Once I get her going again, I might play around & chase some era specific bits, but I like the sealed bb setup & the monster cranks should be plenty strong for metre high drop off etc at the local ride area's.

I want to ride her, not just look at her.

cmg
18-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Not old school, 90's at best, prob 2000 onwards.
Not a cool bike.

not after a "cool" bike, but one to muck around on

price?

gizmoe
18-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Are these considered Era correct?

www.planetbmx.com/shop/bike-components-parts/cranks/profile-limited-edition-40th-anniversary-box-crank-re-release/prod_692.html

rabskyline
18-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Look great. Early 80's style.

Price for the bike Chris ? Cheap, less than 50
Bucks I would think.
Is it going to be big enough ? Prob a modern 24" cruiser would be better.

gizmoe
18-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Who made the Pro Class 3 pce cranks on the Eric Rupe bikes?

I reckon they look the same

rabskyline
18-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Redline I think. Proflite

Actually used profile cranks, they were his sponsor..

EdgyAl
25-04-2012, 10:05 PM
1981 Cycle Pro Bonzai 24 made by Tange Japan.
Will be on Ebay next week, need to finish other projects, hope she gets a good home, not many survivors of these left around. Starting bid will be $200
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00504.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00503.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/DSC00496.jpg
Trust this bloke, he has one.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/mcgyver.jpg
I also believe that there is one in the back of this van for emergency
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/shell_l_d/Alans/the-a-team-van.jpg

karlmagoo
26-04-2012, 08:45 AM

mate in 1983 a super LA was 1 of my 1st bmx,s, damn i thought it looked cool with different coloured alloy everywhere. Your the 1st bloke ive heard mention them.

cheers

rabskyline
26-04-2012, 12:45 PM
heard of them, not sure they were a "decent quality " bike but definitely remember them.

karlmagoo
26-04-2012, 02:18 PM
heard of them, not sure they were a "decent quality " bike but definitely remember them.

nah, average shiny bright multi-coloured thing, awesome when your 4 or 5 but :D, ive just come from the bike shop actually, the 36yr old in me says "buy a mountain bike, act your age, get some exercise", the evil side of me says" go on..buy another bmx, head down the bowl at 9pm with your stezza, some public enemy cd,s, a raiders cap and start shredding"

The wife says "you a full grown man, whatdya want a f@#$%^ing kids bike for? you,ll look like a f#$%^&ing idiot you stupid f@#$%ing 23456 32456%%^$%^#^"

Dunno about any of you other ex-bmx folks on here, but i simply cant bunnyhop a mountain bike like i can a bmx, cant get comfortable on them jumping either, like the idea of bigger wheels, more gears, etc, but it just isnt the same.

^whi

fnlow
26-04-2012, 02:40 PM
:(

fnlow
26-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Dunno about any of you other ex-bmx folks on here, but i simply cant bunnyhop a mountain bike like i can a bmx, cant get comfortable on them jumping either, like the idea of bigger wheels, more gears, etc, but it just isnt the same.

^whi

I built up an NS suburban 26inch frame for this exact reason. Low seat height like most modern bmx's. the Suburban rides just like a bmx. Easy to hop, even when your close to 6ft tall.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/fnlow/DSCF3889.jpg

rabskyline
26-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Karl, i spent the other night doing mono's endo's, skids, riding backwards etc around the kawana lakes :D

kids calling me a silly old prick (well not prick but childs version of that ).

shoulders were aching next day from pulling on bars etc :) good fun, I am 40 mate, riding a retro pink haro master, who gives a *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& what the kids think, they missed the awesome 80's !! :D

Battered Sav
26-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Pretty sure I had one, can't remember if it was called a Super LA or SLA Racing.
It was all aluminium with an oversize top tube.
It was a little kids bike and I was not a little kid.
I killed it.
It ended up with sooo many cracks in the frame, tried getting it wleded but it just cracked again.
I think I bought it from RPM in Oakleigh, far too long ago, memory is fuzzy.
Next bike was a GT, now that was good.
Then I sold that and ended up with a Quadangle.

karlmagoo
26-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Karl, i spent the other night doing mono's endo's, skids, riding backwards etc around the kawana lakes :D

kids calling me a silly old prick (well not prick but childs version of that ).

shoulders were aching next day from pulling on bars etc :) good fun, I am 40 mate, riding a retro pink haro master, who gives a *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& what the kids think, they missed the awesome 80's !! :D

Nice brother, thinking about buying both now, I've found some not bad bmx,s for sale locally I can buy on the cheap and fix up myself, I'll let you know when I get mobile, I'm 5mins from kawana, pretty sure I can still face plant like a pro ^whi, on an aside, for any old skaters out there, took my flawless vision psycho stick for a blast at Alex skate ramp the other day, dropped in on the half pipe 5 mins in feeling fairly confident, doctor says the ligaments I pulled on the inside of my legs should heal eventually, and keep the gravel rash clean.

rabskyline
26-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Welcome to come round and act
Like a retro throw back any time :D

rabskyline
26-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Ps, I know my limits , the skatepark is off limits :D

gizmoe
26-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm 35 going on 36 this year.

I ride my Mirraco Essex as much as I can.

The daughter & I ride around the shopping centre & occassionally the high school on our bmx's.

We use to hit the skate park everyday but are doing more street & other riding now.

I'm still trying to get a flatland 360, can do the 180 then ride backwards & spin the front back around most of the time.

Riding backwards is still easy & bunny hops up to about 50 or 60cm on to benches etc are all no problems.

I even managed the local Repco steps yesterday which would be getting close to a metre high but it took a few attempts.

Also have several metre or abit more high drop offs at the local school that are good fun.

I have had a few people giggle at me, but its fun so I don't care.

My daughter loves going for rides with me & thats great as well.

Its also good for my lack of fitness & it would be good to have few others to play with.

I'm pretty keen for a Commencal Absolut SX now to allow me to play with the local mountain bikers & 1 of the young lads has a pump track he has invited me to play on.

gizmoe
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.gripsport.com.au/services

rabskyline
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Good find !

Dao's Place
26-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Rabs, not sure if you've seen this video yet. My good mate John has restored a collection of Haro freestyle bikes from 1982 through to 1993, check out the video of all his bikes (http://vimeo.com/41334814) here! If you're into old school BMX bikes, you'll love it. They should have done more close-ups so you can see the detail that John put into his restos though!

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 12:15 PM
One of us too (Scot) but an eastie. :)

Nice collection, I have a pink and baby blue later model haro master (not early bob era)that I ride but I raced mostly so was more into the track bikes.
Haro made a red/black,blue/black late 80's bikes and were tremendous to ride.

Might wanna ask him if he went to livvy bowl (livingstone bmx bowl ) he will definitely know it !
We used to ride 30klms each way to it as 13/14yr olds every other weekend !
Never went to Dundee , musselburgh was my furthest track race day but bathgate and kelso were more of the westies tracks.

gizmoe
26-06-2012, 07:32 PM
How is the bmx bike riding going Rabs? I have upgraded to the Commencal Absolut SX & having a ball.

The bigger wheels are brillant for saving my less than stellar hops & drop offs & the amount of times I have come up short on stuff only to survive without any sign of incident has me giggling like a little school girl.

It's a pity I don't live near you mate as I'm keen to go play with others my age, but all the mates either don't have bikes, don't have time or are not interested.

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah I m 40 going on 16 (in the head) but the body and "self preservation " levels are on a different planet from the 80's now :(

Still looking for that ever elusive 24" master. They do come up but pricey for shit boxes or very unoriginal.

Going to purchase a 40t chain ring as I like the slow monos, not a great trickster, never was, just liked big jumps and racing.
The endless energy has well, ended ! :D

gizmoe
26-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Found this old bike, might be some fun around the place :p

1 of our installers was staying at my place for a week & was laughing at me for riding the pushie around doing skids & such.

I climbed up onto the tray of his Iveco truck & jumped off the back of it a few times & he was hoping I would faceplant so he could laugh some more.

No one thinks I should be out playing like a teenager & I have no idea why as its great fun & Mr Mirra or Tony Hawk are still well respected & around our vintage....

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Bugger them, I ride a blue and pink bmx with the kids on their mtb's and a helmet cam :D

I couldn't give a rats ass !

Sold the kona stinky, too heavy for street use but I cant afford many many bikes so hanging out to get a decent hard tail or 24" cruiser.

asa572
26-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Found this old bike, might be some fun around the place :p

1 of our installers was staying at my place for a week & was laughig at me for riding the pushie around doing skids & such.

I climbed up onto the tray of his Iveco truck & jumped off the back of it a few times & he was hoping I would faceplant so he could laugh some more.

No one thinks I should be out playing like a teenager & I have no idea why as its great fun & Mr Mirra or Tony Hawk are still well respected & around our vintage....

If that shock works you will *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& the chain, hub and bottom bracket pretty soon.

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Crank is also pivot.

gizmoe
26-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Na,the Commencal Absolut SX is designed as a single speed bottom bracket pivot bike dude.

Its a "slopestyle" bike.

There is a few of them on the market.

It comes with changable bits to allow it to run gears as well.

I jumped off the side of the skatepark ramp the other day which is an easy 2m drop & scared myself alittle in the process, but it just soaked it all up.

Its about 14.5kg & the Mirraco Essex bmx is 12.5 kg according to the scales.

I can hop up everything on this that I can on the bmx, but this lets me survive all of my stuff ups where the bmx puts me on the ground.

The bigger wheels & suspension are so awesome at saving me.

The disc brakes are great as well, but I did get use to riding for about a week or so with only the front brake as the rear avid was dodgey out of the box & didnt work before I even rode it.

Monza Imports sorted me with 2 free Master Cylinder kits to fix my problems so a Huge Thank you to them for warranty on something they didn't bring into the country or sell.

I should have purchased the Commencal instead of the Bmx in the 1st place, but it all variety I guess

gizmoe
26-06-2012, 09:56 PM
This is my lid..

asa572
26-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Didn't realise they pivoted around the BB.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/76900.jpg

gizmoe
26-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Beautiful isn't she?

s3uoq
26-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Can't believe i've missed this thread...been into the pushies for years. Restored an old Redline 340 about 12+ years ago n ended up selling it to a mate who wanted to come riding. Unfortunately didnt take pics of it ^nuts Was racing 4x up at Park orchards club about 2 years ago but gave it in cause preferred getting out on the bike with an engine :grinning- Used to be right into my mountain bikes as a teenager n then back into the BMX for a few years n then back into the 4x style mountain bikes. Great to ride when ya over 6 foot.

Pics of last BMX...2000 Redline Triple X Dirt Jumper with few AM bits n pieces

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/s3uoq/Bike%20Pics/P1100671.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/s3uoq/Bike%20Pics/rotorburn.jpg

Think the dog was having as much fun this day as I was....serial tyre chaser

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/s3uoq/Bike%20Pics/P1060632.jpg

Favorite trick....360/720/1080 barspins

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/s3uoq/Bike%20Pics/P1060655.jpg

Current ride 2008 Scott Voltage 0 Limited

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/s3uoq/Bike%20Pics/YZVoltageRotorburn.jpg

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Beautiful isn't she?

Commencal make stunning bikes. Their dual sus Xc bikes are something else !

rabskyline
26-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Didn't realise they pivoted around the BB.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/76900.jpg

No other way that setup would work as the rest all need a tensioner to run rear sus.!
Really are awesome bikes.

gizmoe
27-06-2012, 01:14 PM
NS Soda Slope does it slightly differently, but its still on the bb.

rabskyline
27-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Yellow frame for derailleur and blue for fixie.
Prefer the stronger Looking (IMHO) commencal setup.

lawbreaker
28-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I just watched that HARO video clip. What a collection!!
I've still got a metallic blue HARO sport in almost original condition,
Just needs a good tidy up. Still got a genuine HARO front tyre.
Only thing that isn't original is the odyssey cobra padded seat and dyno goose neck.
When I get the time I'll put a pic up of the old pushie.

rabskyline
28-06-2012, 10:20 AM
This is what I am after. Not with CW bars though.

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/1fs242_lg.jpg

rabskyline
28-06-2012, 10:32 AM
or one of these !

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/hutch24_lg.jpg

slim01
28-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I guess my contribution would be classed as 'mid' school:

I had one of these when I started riding skateparks but cracked it and got a Hoffman Condor instead. Had been searching for another one for over 10 years when a mate found one on BMXMuseum, an original 1996 Hoffman Taj still in the original box, never used!
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/ChromeTaj.jpg

Bought these original sticker kits from Strictly BMX 14 odd years ago:
To suit a Chrome 1996-1997, 1 inch Condor http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/Taj/26-05-10_1615.jpg
To suit a Black 1996-1997, 1 inch Taj
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/Taj/26-05-10_1616.jpg
To suit a Chrome 1996-1997, 1 inch Taj
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/Taj/26-05-10_1617.jpg

Have this 1999-2000ish 1 1/8 Taj frame on my wall in memory of an old riding mate who is no longer with us. He snapped the down tube behind the gusset clean thru. I bought it off him and welded it up and rode it for a while before he died:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/P6280002.jpg

This is my current ride, a 2000-20001ish Taj that Ive retro'd, to run a smaller sprocket and more modern stuff:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/P6280001.jpg

And some pics of me riding the Alice Springs skatepark after a finke pre-run:
180ing the spine:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/P5150251.jpg
Deck manual:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/P5150249.jpg
Carvin the spine :P
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/slimo1/P5150259.jpg

rabskyline
28-06-2012, 12:17 PM
cool pics ! haha, old fella on a bmx skate park ! love it :D

yeah, pre 90's is proper old skool (imho).