No announcement yet.

Electric dirt bikes, what do you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric dirt bikes, what do you want?

As the title asks, what is everyone looking for in a electric dirt bike. I am currently looking at building some dirt bikes up for sale. I have been seeing a bunch of talk about Zero selling in Aus for the last few years but i have given up and decided i have the ability to build electric motorbike conversions to give them a run for their money it might be time for me to have a sea change and do something i am passionate about. Building electric vehicles.

The aim is to start out with CFR250 bikes, strip the engine and fit a electric system designed to compete with the latest Zero motorbikes. The choice behind the CFR250 bike is as far as i know(not a dirtbike rider) its a full sized frame, reasonable level of standard equipment, fairly light and readably avaliable. Also with the bike been a twin spar frame it will make mounting the battery pack easier and allow plenty of room for extended range packs.

The electronic system will have 30kw peak power, 3kwh battery pack which should be good for about 2hrs at 50km/h avg speed assuming your not climbing up a mountain all the way. At race speeds the bike should last ~30min+. The total weight of the bike and electronics should be 100kg with the battery pack weighting 25kg of that. 1 or 2 extra packs can be fitted with the obvious weight penalty.

The questions i have that may be all about personal preferance is:
    Any other recomendations for a donor bike?
    Rear brake, foot control or replace the clutch lever thats not used? Scooter brake type setup, much more control and dont have to worry where your foot is.
    Charger on the bike? Adds weight and easy damaged hardware, 25kg pack is pretty easy to pull off the bike and charge in the garage, more secure too.
    Charge time? Atm each pack would take 1.5hrs to charge. Fyi most house hold power outlets wont be able to provide much more then that.
    Belt or chain drive?
    Any one had a look at electric dirtbikes and thought if they just had X? Whats the X
    Whats the price you would pay for a converted dirtbike or what would you pay to have your bike converted? I can do all the electronics easily but building from the frame up its abit far out there.

I have just built a street legal registered electric motorbike with 32kw peak power and 8.5kwh of batteries on it so building these dirt bikes should be alot easier with all the things i learnt doing the street bike(now for sale). Its just a case of asking what you guys and girls want with electrics.
    www.facebook.com/ausemoto
    I can make anything electric powered.

Cfr250.
    Originally posted by ggchris
    Perhaps we should be united by giving a shit about each other? A little kindness? A little recognition that the only currency that is worth anything is happiness and contentment. The exchange rate is fantastic, too... give a little away and you get more back.

Comment

Full size/weight enduro bike, with battery that can last for 8 hours. With the expectation that every year newer models will be lighter due to better battery technology. So 120-130kgs which should be equivalent to a modern enduro bike fully fueled. Totally unrealistic with today's batteries but still can't wait.

I think MX is the natural place for this to start rather than enduro. They don't mind doing short stints with breaks in-between. All the riding I do is disappear into the bush in the morning and come back when you are low on fuel.
      2014 Husaberg FE501 !psm
      2005 300 EXC

Comment

any Mx bike chassis and suspension, need to have races at the local ovals and show grounds, probably no good for the bush but MX and enduroX would be great step forward, so 1 hour run time is enough. Belt drives are bad because of the dirt getting in between belt and drive. Id say you wont have trouble selling the petrol engine out for revenue also.
        ^roost

Comment

There's a heap of variables...
          In the bush, you have so many varied terrains, I'd think that electric powered systems wouldn't cut it.. Due to the fact that, like others, I head out and only head back when the fuel gets low.. I'd hate to have to head back every 30-45 mins..
          MX would be the go I'd day. Keep us posted.

Comment

I'd agree mx would be the go plus there would be the option of shorter run time to save on battery weight and have a couple of packs in the pits.

Are they going to be able to take a dunking on a creek crossing aswell I know a petrol engine don't like it but can be rectified on the track to get out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

I look at electric dirtbikes and just think 'seriously why?'..
              Current Rides:
              2002 GasGas EC250 (Mine) & 2001 Yamaha DT230 (GF & Mates)

Click here for my Youtube feed

Comment

A CRF is a great starting point but runtime would make it useless for bush riding or proper enduro. Weight should be as low as possible in the frame and centred to provide neutral weight distribution.

I see no reason to covert to belt drive, it just adds to the cost and your time, also makes spares less available as all your mates are carrying spare chain links.

I'd be real interested in a decent electric bike......not until battery tech has improved though so I get decent run time from the thing. The Zero bikes are BMX strength with an electric motor fitted, you just might get a few sales starting out with a decent bike. How you will get a CRF frame new, with or without the engine and then add all the electrical parts without it costing silly money is a mystery.

Good luck with your venture.

Comment

Originally posted by RoostaDFDFDF View Post
                  I look at electric dirtbikes and just think 'seriously why?'..
                  Flat torque curve and light weight motors. Once we solve the battery problem you won't want anything else.
                  2014 Husaberg FE501 !psm
                  2005 300 EXC

Comment

Is there a way can make the turning of the wheels use some kind of funky magnetic/alternator/solar?/KERS stuff and charge the battery at the same time you're using it?

ie. to try and get double the length out of the battery before a proper re-charge is required?

Otherwise it's very limited to motocross style dirt biking where you don't ride for long periods.

Even if you only get half-way there you can only hope Shell or BP etc. buy your technology off you for a bazillion dollars so they don't lose future oil selling business.
                    Last edited by Pygmygod; 22-03-2014, 09:30 PM.
                    2007 GasGas EC200
                    2005 WR250F

Comment

Originally posted by nickb167 View Post
                      Flat torque curve and light weight motors. Once we solve the battery problem you won't want anything else.
                      Not true... Unless the power delivery is setup to be the same or similar to a 2stroke, and you can give me the 2stroke oil burning smell I wont ever go electric.. Heck I wont even go 4 stroke...
                      Current Rides:
                      2002 GasGas EC250 (Mine) & 2001 Yamaha DT230 (GF & Mates)

Click here for my Youtube feed

Comment

how big is the fuel tank on enduro bikes and also what speeds are you running, 8hrs on a single tank seems abit of a stretch unless your taking in the sights along the way?

Whats the max speed you would hit on a trail? What range are we talking? 200km 300km, 400km? Would dropping to 20kw still be enough if the range could be met?

I would be converting second hand bikes that have been bought in working running condition and had the motors stripped. So really i can convert any bike anyone wants if they want to provide a frame and i would jsut take the cost of the bike chassis off the build.

All up the electronics for 30kw with a 3kwh pack would be ~$5000 installed on any bike.

Comment

So far thanks about all the responses, they have really been a eye opener. In terms of range i never expected it to be that much of a deal setter. I can build the bikes for that range but it will cost quite abit more.

I can do a 12kwh battery pack, but that will weigh close to 80kg, motor 10kg, controller 4kg, wiring and mounts 5kg. Thats not leaving much room for a rolling chassis. About 30kg if you want to keep it around the 130kg mark. All the bikes would come as standard with variable regen, onlly on the rear but it would completely remove using the rear brakes unless your showing off and doing a skid.

It should easily do a run time of 8hrs, but your charge time would be a overnight(7hr) job with a 2kw charger.

Comment

$5k doesn't sound too bad, though when you add $3-5k for decent nick bike the costs are getting up there for a second hand bike.

All up ride time for most is actually quite a lot less than they think, most people look how long they've been away from the cars and don't realise how much all the stops add up to, every time I GPS a ride, actual ride time is quite a bit less than I expected it to be. That said, there are rides where we really do smash 6 hours almost non-stop. A common average speed amongst us dirtbikers is between 20-30Km/h when all is said and done and the bikes typically have a range of 80-120Km. Hills are exactly what most of us seek

I know the torque of an electric motor can make up for a lot in terms of power, but dropping down to 20KW seems a bit low to me. Petrol bikes commonly range between 30-60 horsepower, so you are right on the bottom end with a 20KW system.

Most would baulk at a 130kg bike, however, if the weight was low enough it would handle the same, if not better, than most bikes once they've been filled with fuel. Even the racier bikes are typically 114Kg+ and then you have to add 6-8Kg's of fuel.
                            How many charges would you get out of the battery before it needs replacing? Maybe we can convert our helmets to have little solar PV cells to help the system charge up whilst riding

Comment

Hills are great as long as you are coming down them after going up And can let the rear brake do most of the slowing down. I have built a bike with a 3kwh pack thats range is almost 100km around town with 14kw and a top speed of 80km/h. So maybe i build the bikes with a 4kwh pack and set them up for 120km/h top speed with a range of around 120km. I ll go try and find out how far a Zero FX can get doing enduro.

120km range is a much easier range to get too. The 30kw motor can stay then. How heavy are the bikes that put out 60hp? That seems like a lot. I can get the electronics up there, absolute max for a dirtbike atm would probably be ~50kw, without too much of a weight penalty, just cost.

Batteries would last about 2yrs+ of daily use, about 5yrs before shelf life takes its toll either way and they drop down to 80% capacity which is where most batteries are considered dead in the industry. But by then there will be much better ones avaliable and the old ones would already be in the tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X