So who’s going to buy the new 2020 ktm/Husqvarna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gypsy501 View Post
    Cluffie stop it... your delusional-to much drinking the orange coolaid-no way your stock tpi can be be a better bike then your worked Beta 17 300rr & your ktm 18 300exc. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,that coolaid you put me onto must be working,strong stuff,ha,ha.
    My 17 300 Beta was actually stock apart from running 13-52 gearing a different $20 needle and the motor was very good. 18 300 ktm needed a tsp head,gnarly,v force reeds to get it in the ballpark of the beta motor and 13-52. Tpi stock is still better then both and works for me with higher stock 13-50 gearing.

Comment

• Weak bikes always put the power to the ground well. Why wouldn't they?!

The questions is, will it go on the back wheel in 5th gear, like an open class bike should? Stock TPI will not (short of bouncing and hanging off the back like an ape!).

Neither would a stock 2017 300. Head, cylinder porting, SX CDI, airbox mod and a shorter pipe fixed that and put a ton of smiles on my face. The additional power was of no use in single track but it didn't slow me down either.

The short pipe has not had the same influence on the TPI. I have the TSP head and tune, which rides significantly better than stock, but it is still a bit weak and lacks over-rev. Doesn't really have the grunt off the bottom either.

So, do you really need to do all this? No. The TPI runs clean and smooth, there is no hesitation. It runs a little hot, so get a fan. It has ample power but it is no dragster stock.

Neither is a stock 450. Or a stock car. If you want things to run at their best, you need to fiddle. Or can you can just turn a blind eye and enjoy it stock.

The (*&$%@ saying that 2T oil will clog the fuel filter is full of *%#& trying to sell you stuff you don't need. His website got shut down recently and best to steer clear of him. The inventor of TPI stated that a little extra oil in the fuel would not do any harm, though he thought it largely unnecessary. I'm running 100:1 on the basis that the TPI is an emissions tune, it is costing stuff all to put a little extra in, and might make the engine last longer in the long run, but I have no evidence to back that up.

For the same reason I always ran more oil than the KTM recommended 60:1 - no specific advantage other than engine longevity.

TPI inventor also said the original TPI bike ran premix with no oil injection and the bottom end stayed wet with oil. The fuel/oil is flying back and forth all over the bloody place, so adding some to the fuel does not mean it just flies out the exhaust. It's all on another orange forum if you want to read a little about lubrication being sufficient on TPI bikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJW View Post
        Weak bikes always put the power to the ground well. Why wouldn't they?!

The questions is, will it go on the back wheel in 5th gear, like an open class bike should? Stock TPI will not (short of bouncing and hanging off the back like an ape!).

Neither would a stock 2017 300. Head, cylinder porting, SX CDI, airbox mod and a shorter pipe fixed that and put a ton of smiles on my face. The additional power was of no use in single track but it didn't slow me down either.

The short pipe has not had the same influence on the TPI. I have the TSP head and tune, which rides significantly better than stock, but it is still a bit weak and lacks over-rev. Doesn't really have the grunt off the bottom either.

So, do you really need to do all this? No. The TPI runs clean and smooth, there is no hesitation. It runs a little hot, so get a fan. It has ample power but it is no dragster stock.

Neither is a stock 450. Or a stock car. If you want things to run at their best, you need to fiddle. Or can you can just turn a blind eye and enjoy it stock.

The (*&$%@ saying that 2T oil will clog the fuel filter is full of *%#& trying to sell you stuff you don't need. His website got shut down recently and best to steer clear of him. The inventor of TPI stated that a little extra oil in the fuel would not do any harm, though he thought it largely unnecessary. I'm running 100:1 on the basis that the TPI is an emissions tune, it is costing stuff all to put a little extra in, and might make the engine last longer in the long run, but I have no evidence to back that up.

For the same reason I always ran more oil than the KTM recommended 60:1 - no specific advantage other than engine longevity.

TPI inventor also said the original TPI bike ran premix with no oil injection and the bottom end stayed wet with oil. The fuel/oil is flying back and forth all over the bloody place, so adding some to the fuel does not mean it just flies out the exhaust. It's all on another orange forum if you want to read a little about lubrication being sufficient on TPI bikes.
        gess i was really hoping the TSP mods to TPI would be better or the same as a good carb bike, i have a 14/250 with TSP head but the STIC mod makes it really powerful more so than my 2011 250 with full TSP cylinder porting and head with SX CDI combined, i am looking at a te husky with TSP mods but not if it's going to less power than i have now i might need to re consider
        Total Entertainment 14 250, STIC powered, KYB suspended.
        Huskly lovin bike whore

Comment

• JJW, Do you get any spooge out of your tpi running 100 to one oil in your tank,fouled any plugs or clogged any fuel filters or noticed any leaning of the bike? Also the tsp ecu mod now adds more oil then stock so you can have a fair bit of extra oil as a total if you get this new upgrade.
          Pulling a wheel up in 5th is pointless for our type of riding but would be awesome for offroad racing grass track or hattah. Then again a stock 2020 500 would be king.
          2020 250tpi has more over rev then the 2020 300 but the bottom end on the 250 is anemic in comparison.

Comment

• No spooge with the extra oil. No clogged filters. Plug is fine. Starts easy.
            The TPI bikes tend to feel lean stock regardless, though they might not be.....it might be more a case that I like them running a bit rich on the pilot and have been tuning my carbs that way for 15 years.

I am aware that the oil injection may have been modified with the ECU retune but my goal has been to run the bike and see what is different apples for apples. Maybe I will try a couple of tanks "dry" and see how it goes?

I have 3 or 4 rides under my belt with the TSP kit, have made some minor changes, eg adding a map switch (can definitely feel a difference there) most recent being going back to the green spring (I had fitted a red trying to get a bit more out of the stock bike) but with the ECU tune it has a new mid-range spike in throttle response that is scary on the back wheel and it may well be because the ECU is calibrated to the stock powervalve spring.

I'm yet to ride and confirm that yet, but I have a list of items that I will discuss with TSP in the coming weeks. I'm not criticising TSP, I reckon it's tops that someone is tuning these bikes, but it all comes down to personal preferences, and it is early days in the world of TPI tuning...still a lot to be figured out. I wish I had access to a programmable tuner.

For now I'm just trying a different ideas, happy to exchange thoughts.

I did measure oil consumption during the first 20 hours, will do a repeat in the next 20 hours and see if there has been any measurable increase.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply and i'm appreciating your feedback.

I found with the 250 2020 tpi that the red spring was better then the stock yellow spring but winding the pv dolly out made the bike hard to ride as it would wheelspin and become a bit like a light switch when traction was needed. The Air bypass screw is better screwed in 1 1/2 turns as the bike must be rich down low,2 turns out made it to doey like a to big a pilot on a carb bike. Problem with 2 out is that the idle is not strong and stalls so the bike needs the idle mod screw done. Settling on 3/4 to 1 turn in is better and the idle is still good. Without revs the 250 just gives up once loaded on a hill and is a poor lugger in comparison to a 300,very frustrating and hard to ride in this area for me coming off multiple 300's. The 2020 250 needs help so shortening the silencer,13-52 and possibly a head and remapped ecu are needed. My son who races 150's has no issues on the 250, as he uses more throttle and rides on the pipe. On open style trails the 250tpi spins up quick,runs smoother and rips and is much nicer to ride then the 300tpi.
              A 300tpi down low with the 250tpi mid/top characteristics would be my perfect bike. I actually prefer the 250 bike everywhere but down low the 300 is miles better and this is what i mainly ride so overall the 300 wins out.These 2 bikes are so different it surprised me.

Comment

• JJW, looking up the tsp ecu upgrade kit dyno full throttle charts the kit doesn't improve bottom end and only makes an improvement over 6000rpm. Maybe a different pipe design more like on the 150i or a gnarly is needed to help here but it may kill the top end.
                On the 250 the improvement comes in lower at around 4700rpm and makes a massive improvement after that in mid to top.
                1/8 and 1/4 throttle runs show greater improvements from a lower rev range then the full throttle runs but i don't know how this relates to actual rideability?
                If this translates to better rideability then i can see this to be a great mod.

Comment

• Dave has managed to get a 250 stronger than a stock 300, but not off idle, alltho it starts to get good gains pretty low in the revs as you mentioned, maybe Cluffie you need the kit?
                  Total Entertainment 14 250, STIC powered, KYB suspended.
                  Huskly lovin bike whore

Comment

• Originally posted by JJW View Post
                    No spooge with the extra oil. No clogged filters. Plug is fine. Starts easy.
                    The TPI bikes tend to feel lean stock regardless, though they might not be.....it might be more a case that I like them running a bit rich on the pilot and have been tuning my carbs that way for 15 years.

I am aware that the oil injection may have been modified with the ECU retune but my goal has been to run the bike and see what is different apples for apples. Maybe I will try a couple of tanks "dry" and see how it goes?
                    I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a mechanic nor a jetting expert so please correct my ignorance where required

I thought adding oil to the fuel tank would make the engine run leaner???
                    I'm not sure how the TPI system works but I'm assuming it's too simple to recognise oil has been added to the fuel tank therefore I would expect it to output the same air / fuel ratios but now you have added oil to the fuel so you actually have less fuel, making the mixture leaner (only slightly as mixed at 100:1).

Comment

• Originally posted by Medium Rare View Post
                      I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a mechanic nor a jetting expert so please correct my ignorance where required

I thought adding oil to the fuel tank would make the engine run leaner???
                      I'm not sure how the TPI system works but I'm assuming it's too simple to recognise oil has been added to the fuel tank therefore I would expect it to output the same air / fuel ratios but now you have added oil to the fuel so you actually have less fuel, making the mixture leaner (only slightly as mixed at 100:1).
                      Oil is a fuel to.
                      Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does

Comment

• That be a job for the oxygen sensor in the pipe, if there is any change in the gasses.[if there was one]
                        ^roost

Comment

• Originally posted by ggg View Post
                          Dave has managed to get a 250 stronger than a stock 300, but not off idle, alltho it starts to get good gains pretty low in the revs as you mentioned, maybe Cluffie you need the kit?
                          No not atm,I don't want to muck around with having to remove the head but he is doing an ecu only tune with the stock head very soon.This will be a big seller for him and will suit alot of non mechanical handed people if he can get reasonabe performance out of it. The more oil at start up remap feature is something i like alot also so i will most likely go this option when it's available.

Comment

• Oil in the fuel does technically make the bike run leaner. It also reduces the effective octane.

The TPI also has the relative disadvantage of no fuel flowing through the bottom end, which might mean that the air fuel charge is hotter on a TPI and that is not great for detonation. I'm wondering if that is why compression ratios are lower on the TPI bikes. Maybe the fresh fuel getting spraying in at the transfer ports cools the air (like water/methanol injection) but I am not sure if the fuel is getting heated up on the way with the injectors mounted on the cylinder.

The GET package moves the injectors back to the reeds, which might have some advantages but it also more work to install.

Comment

• Anymore updates on how people’s 150tpi’s are going?
                              Are you happy with the bike?

Comment

• So who’s going to buy the new 2020 ktm/Husqvarna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUHIEJQwIg

The terrain is very flat

Comment

Working...
                                X