2002 cr500e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 cr500e

Picked up this beauty on Monday, came with all the road gear fitted as it had just been registered for 12 months.
    The seller has a nice white tank coming in from the US and said he will post that out to me once it arrives, I'll probably run the tank that is on it and keep the white one for Ron.
    Today I got a chance to actually tinker with it and fitted a ProMoto Billet side stand, expensive, but looks to be extremely well made and should last a long time and keep the bike upright when parked in the bush. I had some Fastway pegs from a CRF450X to go on and got the CR500 fitting kit to suit, but trying to get the bushes into the pegs seemed to require too much force and I ended up damaging the new bushes, so I chucked on a set of Pivots that I had lying around, they just went straight on.
    Removed the blinkers, mirror, horn and LH switch block to clean up the bars and have less stuff to damage. Left the tail light/brake light and number plate on, means I can pass scrutineering at Kowen in April
    Has a decompressor fitted to the head, but finding TDC and giving a decent kick without the decompressor it seems to fire up pretty easy. Bike has been running Maxima 927 castor oil and smells like a 2T should. Ive just got some GRO Kart 2 oil (castor blend) into stock as per Owen Lock's suggestion, so I'll use that to make up a batch of premix for the next tank of fuel.
    The seat is very soft, the suspension is pretty soft and I need to put some decent tyres on it and Im thinking of running a Rekluse on this bike to make technical riding a whole lot more enjoyable.....
    My first 4 bikes were XR and XL Hondas (1970s and '80s) and Ive had plenty of XRs and XLs, but this is the first CR that I've actually owned (apart from a CR250M 1974 that I bought 18 months ago and haven't started due to the kickstart pawl needing replacement)
    Looking forward to a ride in the next week or so, see exactly what Ive got myself into...^rof
    Attached Files

nice one
    do a mono

Comment

That looks very tidy. Good pick up!
      2012 FE570 gone, but not forgotten -smile
      2017 250 EXC

Comment

Very nice example. Be a good investment as well.
        Current Ride: 08' CRF250X

For some there's therapy, for others there's dirtbikes.

Comment

Awesome bike Roon, and looks to be in very good nick. What you've got yourself into is a whole lot of fun, they probably aren't the fastest way from A to B but you'll arrive with a mega grin. Be prepared for plenty of attention from others as well, people love them, you'll hear plenty of stories about 'when I owned a big bore 2 stroke....'
          CR500E

Comment

Couldn't give them away new ! Sub 7k from memory. To turn back time
            2018 SWM650dualsportX , 2013 Gasser 300rrrrr. 08 TE 450 . 04 WR Husky . 02 530 VOR . 00 DT200 . 01 SV650 . 96 250 exc . 92 KDX250 . 83 VF750f . 90 XL250 . 86 KX80 . CT 125 . CT 75

Comment

They are great fun mate, Make sure it doesn't get wasted sitting in a shed.
              I actually rode mine at Rawson at the beginning of last year in the Aorc round.
              Not the perfect bike for the slippery muddy tracks but I had a ball and had a small group of blokes that would go nuts every time I rode past.
              Love the feeling of the 500, the sound and the power.
              Have fun...
              Mark
              Proudly sponsored by: Propower Factory Hardware D.J Autos Fleurieu Trading , Mainjet and North Adelaide fitness...

current rides: Yz 250 2008 and Cr 500.
              6th bike: 2012 Gas gas 300
              : 08 Raga replica trials bike ( Gasser of course).
              Fifth bike: YZ 250 2008
              Fourth bike: 2102 gas gas ec 300
              Third bike: Gasgas Ec 300 07
              Second bike: 98Rmx250
              First bike: 97 Xr 250r
              Road bike: stripped down Rd 250 lc for track riding( historic and bracket racing).
              SAORC 208

MUD N TARS MCC

Comment

Great find. How much one wonders, hopefully without offending...

Comment

Originally posted by axel View Post
                  Great find. How much one wonders, hopefully without offending...
                  Could have bought a new 250cc 2T Enduro for the same money....so twice the cubes for the same $$ ^lol

Comment

Sent my suspension off to Full Force Racing in QLD for a service, revalve and springs to suit my weight. Got it back today and fitted to my bike, going riding this weekend at Buladelah, should steer and handle a heap better especially with a brand new GoldenTyre 100/90 Fatty front, still got a worn out rear tyre but I reckon I might as well just spin whatever knobs are left right off the carcass before I fit a new tyre.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Roon View Post
                      Could have bought a new 250cc 2T Enduro for the same money....so twice the cubes for the same $$ ^lol
                      Passion comes at a price. Enjoy it!

Comment

getting ready for Kowen next month

fitted a Motoz Arena Hybrid with TuBliss to go with the new GoldenTyre Fatty on the front.......

whilst I had the rear wheel out I thought Id do a trial fit of some 17" cush drive Motard wheels I have.....just in case I want to go tar/ADV riding on this thing..^lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

Idle time

New 39.5mm Keihin PWK from carbparts warehouse (eBay), pre-jetted to suit my bike with FMF exhaust, Aussie fuel and temps and sea level altitude - AU$320 landed.
                          Fitted it today and she fired straight up and Wallah ! we have a bike that idles....goes pretty good up and down the street as well, taking for a proper ride next week.

https://www.facebook.com/CameroonG/v...479552456/?t=1

Comment

August 2019 update

Im not a Rekluse fan on my normal 250/300 2Ts, however riding this 500 2T dinosaur in slow speed tech terrain is a lot of hard work. Even though I have a fairly light cable pull, the MX type gearing means 1st gear is a bit too tall to let the bike crawl slowly without a lot of clutch slip and if you misjudge the clutch pick up point by a fraction its easy to stall. Then its the old school start routine, find TDC, bees-dick past, kick etc...too energy sapping for this old fart....so...I...bought...a.....used.......Rekluse Z Start Pro.....
                            Fitted it up today and tried it out riding up and down the street and up a little grassy slope with a concrete slab at the top....seems pretty good, let the bike idle, engage 1st gear, a little bit of throttle and whooshka, we're away with a very clean engagement (running 12 tungsten balls and 15 steels).
                            Checked the rear TuBliss, down to 60PSI after sitting unridden since Kowen in April, but the tyre pressure was where I left it at 4PSI. So I put 110 PSI in the TuBliss and checked the 4 PSI in the Motoz Arena Hybrid.
                            Going for a Grade 2 ride on Wednesday to give it a run and see if it works better than the last CR500E I rode with a Rekluse, I dont think it was set up with enough of the tungsten balls as it seemed to have a wide, fluffy take up and felt like a CVT with the engine revs going up and down but not the corresponding forward motion until you were at least at 1/4 throttle.

Comment

A Rekluse you say?
                              My apologies for the late response but better late than never: Happy 70th birthday! 😁
                              Beta 200RR

Comment

Working...
                              X