St Helens 2 Strahan One Day crossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Helens 2 Strahan One Day crossing

Some mad blokes from Tassie started a ride across the state 12 years ago, then they decided to see if it could be done in one day instead of the traditional 4 days.

5 blokes set off from St Helens warf at 4am on Sunday the 21st of October, and rode into Strahan at 9.33pm that night.

670km, 17 hours and 33 minutes, moving average speed of 50kph.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...9454431361167/

Lead by the dedicated Skid, and an awesome support crew, we managed to complete the whole crossing with only one flat rear tyre being the single holdup for the day.

Motorcycle City in Launceston provided two of us with brand new 2019 Honda CRF450L bikes for the attempt, as well as providing full support on the day and during the lead up.

A huge thanks must go to the other blokes on dirtbikes
    Mark Brown (for being so obsessed with achieving the goal and leading us faultlessly)
    Rob McLaren
    Rob Higgins
    Israel Symington

Andy Gray for being slightly insane enough to come up with the idea

Jason from Motorcycle City, Trish (My Wife) and Harry for the support on the day

Greg and Jason from Motorcycle City in Launceston for providing us with 2 brand new bikes, tyres and support.

Cheers Ladies and Gents.

George Nichols.

I ended up doing 1000km on mine.

I was pretty stoked with the bike. We obviously rode every type of terrain you could imagine over the day.

We had the bikes for a bit before the ride as well to get a general feel and to work out what we needed to do to set them up.

Mitas supplies the tyres so we chose a medium front and a mid/hard for the rear for longevity. Once we did sag and took a little rebound speed out of the fork and shock, we didnít have to touch anything. If you are a 'fast' rider, you will need springs and maybe a little work but the whole purpose of this bike is not to be a hard edged racer and I was thankful for the comfort after 17 1/2hrs on the bike.

The bike loves the throttle being wound on. They are really stable at speed and soaked up everything we threw at them.

Climies track in the dark, after 16 hours in the saddle was always going to be tough, but the Hondaís loved it.

I was surprised at how smooth the power delivery was, and the torque was amazing. There is a little aggression at the very start when you are on/off throttle in the tight stuff, so I probably ran it a gear higher as we had to limit fatigue as much as we could all day. Having said that, as soon as you were moving in any gear you could wind it on and it would just keep going. The top end seemed to pull well right through.

Lots of people will baulk at the weight of the bike. Quoted at 130kg, that sounds heavy, but there are so many ways to strip it off the bike, starting with the enormous exhaust can.

The build and feel of the bike is typical Honda, very impressive. It is heavy, but it seems to carry its weight really well. I had a few Hondaís from 08 to 2011,250 and 450, so Iím familiar with the bikes and this one is the next generation of improvements.
    Last edited by Pigdog; 21-11-2018, 09:48 PM.
    2018 Beta 300RR Racing

Well done George. Great review and ride report too. Thanks for sharing
    Current: 250 & 125 2T & 250 4T

Comment

Far out thatís a big day! Good effort!
      2014 450EXC

Comment

Well done bloke, thats a good deal allround.
        erythropoietic protoporphyria

Comment

Looks like fun. Well done. We still need to do a North South version.
          2014 Husqvarna FE501
          http://tasmaniacs.com.au - Get on it
          http://flatpacktas.com.au - Get it built
          Recuper8 is probably the best hydration pack fluid you will ever use. Its like crack for dirt bike riders.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasmaniacs View Post
            Looks like fun. Well done. We still need to do a North South version.
            Donít worry, we have grand ideas now.
            2018 Beta 300RR Racing

Comment

about time you fired up and had a decent slog before ya got old.Is that an adventure bike :grinning-

Comment

How'd the 450L go on fuel George??

The tank on them is smaller than my 450RX and I only get 80km at times.

130kg is over 10kg more than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jd_crf View Post
                  How'd the 450L go on fuel George??

The tank on them is smaller than my 450RX and I only get 80km at times.

130kg is over 10kg more than mine.
                  We never let them run out, but I got 92km without running out before the crossing, and the fuel light came on at 80km.

They actually have a consumption readout on the dash. If I remember correctly, around my enduro track and fairly giving it the berries it averaged 8.7l/100km, but on the crossing on the day I think we ended up at 7.6l/100km.

The quoted weight is heavy if you plan on dropping it and picking it up a lot, but when you are moving itís actully really balanced.
                  2018 Beta 300RR Racing

Comment

Well Done !!!
                    Remember...a good chilli always burns twice !!!

Comment

rt living your dreams
                      2010 KTM 300EXC

Comment

dumb idea

Great read George, was certainly a ride to remember :grinning-
                        www.dirtbikestuff.com.au
                        www.trailriderz.com.au

Comment

have a crack

its on again... contact George or call 0409906865 to get on board
                          www.dirtbikestuff.com.au
                          www.trailriderz.com.au

Comment

Working...
                          X