dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Related Discussion (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   690 Enduro R (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=122865)

Medium Rare 07-07-2016 09:52 PM

690 Enduro R

I'm going to look at a 13 690 Enduro R, it looks in good nick, about 16K kms with quite a few nice extras for adv riding. I've read mixed reviews about the 690 reliability and am in two minds about purchasing one. What are people's experiences with these bikes?

Grungefreek 07-07-2016 11:50 PM

I have a 2015. Is it perfect, no, but really what other options are out there that really compares in terms of performance etc? DR650 was my other option but I wasn't going back to those old days.

I will admit I have had issues with mine that has seen in at the dealer for a fair amount of time (parts take time to come from Austria) , but even with that occurring I still haven't regretted buying it. Its a great bike to ride in the bush and I can jump on it and ride it on the street for long distances. In terms of its capability, it was exactly what I wanted.

So if you want a bike that's good in the bush and can do large road K's as well, the KTM690 is the way to go.

I should also add I don't use my bike for proper ADV riding. I wanted a dirtbike I could ride longer distances on the road, and that's what the 690 does well. If I was going across the Simpson desert I would rather the DR650.

RedK 08-07-2016 12:12 AM

Yep great bikes. Heaps of aftermarket for them. Just make sure it has a service history of some sort. Many earlier model bikes have high kms now. I feel that any reliabilty issues owners had were related to technology that at the time was new and fangdangled. Blocked fuel filters upsetting pumps was a problem on two bikes i know of. Everyone now has EFI and can find someone who can help tune if needed.

RMJay84 08-07-2016 09:01 PM

When you look at it ask if they can pull the airfilter out, a lot of fine dust can get past the standard paper filter.

There is a good rally raid foam filter conversion which puts the filter up behind the headstem like a husaberg, keeps it out of the dust and completely opens it up, but it's a bit fiddly to change if you have the safari tank fitted as well.

RedK 08-07-2016 09:25 PM

Oh yeah. An oiled foam filter is a must. I had the KTM twin foamy in mine.

threadersmal 08-07-2016 11:54 PM

Going on what i have seen with two of them carry a fuel injector & rocker arms assemblies

Mescaline 09-07-2016 11:31 AM

I liked mine a lot but sold it only because of a lust for more technical riding.
I had a few issues, main one was the airbox coming apart at the seams.
I wrapped it in duct tape until I got a new one.
The lower tank bolts on mine were shot so ordered a new set.
FI light came on, tracked down a broken wire in a bunch of tightly zip tied together lot of wires behind headlight.
Headlight globe kept blowing.. looked like the element would get hot and break..
Check adv rider, there is a few threads on them

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

fredgreen 09-07-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threadersmal (Post 1983676)
Going on what i have seen with two of them carry a fuel injector & rocker arms assemblies

My mate has had lot problems with the injection.

panhead_pete 09-07-2016 06:01 PM

Have a look on ADVrider - no end of threads about these and the known issues and fixes

Camo. 09-07-2016 06:51 PM

Hope you have a good disposable income and are good on the spanners.
I'm a KTM fan but opted not to buy a 690 when getting on the adventure bandwagon.