dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Health, Well Being & Fitness (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Any clues about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121068)

Cliiint 18-11-2015 10:01 PM

Any clues about Carpal/Cubital Tunnel Syndrome?
 
In the last week, the left little finger and ring finger have been getting progressively numb. Almost like coming out of an anesthetic with the tingling sensation and deadening on the pads. Also a significant weakness in the hand doing certain fine motor movements.

So, anyone had this?
What have you done to remedy this?
What have the doctors had to say?

jon west 18-11-2015 10:19 PM

I get almost the same symptoms. Often just lying in bed, or like right now at the computer. Mainly and more often in my left but right also. Mine is more like pins and needles.
I saw the doctor and his response was 'I wouldn't be able to help you with that'

Um?

What leans you to carpel tunnel?

dalboy 18-11-2015 10:44 PM

try some acupuncture mark
could be a nerve in your neck - do you have your head tilted forward a lot?

Bente 19-11-2015 12:55 AM

Carpal tunnel release is usually take pressure off the median nerve goes to the the thumb and next two fingers. And a half finger. Another nerve does the pinky and ring finger. I had mine released and lunate bone removed and ruptured tendon repaired just the other day. Stitched still in, Just a Carpal tunnel can be simple and back to work same day

Bente 19-11-2015 01:00 AM

My little finger and ring finger was more serious with a ruptured tendon rubbing on a disc located bone not picked u in earlier me rays, lunate bones are rare and hard to diagnose but you don't want the damage I did to my ring and pinky having tendons rupturing from rubbing I the wrong spots. See your doc get X-rays and refer to hand surgeon

Le Squid 19-11-2015 05:11 AM

I recently had a Bi Lateral Release (both hands) done after suffering for a couple of years and pain getting progressively worse to the end point where it felt like I was getting electrocuted when working and sleeping.

I'm self employed so that's why I had both done at the same time, glad I did because I wouldn't have gone back a second time as the pain after surgery (keyhole) was terrible. It will take atleast two weeks before you will be able to do light duties IMHO and work to your own limits from there.

Cheers

mr bergman 19-11-2015 05:50 AM

in the early stages, it's often only triggered when you are sleeping... you tend to roll your wrists forward when asleep and this compresses the tunnel even more.

you can get a wrist brace from ebay for under $15 that holds your wrist straight and prevents the pins and needles, works for me.

there are wrist exercises you can do to keep the pressure off the nerve, just google around.

as it gets worse though, it can start to happen any time and that's when guys look at options... a steroid injection can give relief for a few months. surgery can fix it for the longer term but it can return too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

even though mine had all the clear symptoms, my doc got me to have it properly diagnosed to make sure it wasn't something else, probably a good idea in your case too. a dirt ride was certainly making it worse in my case but so far the brace is keeping it at bay.

also i found all the techniques i used to try and beat arm pump did make things easier on the carpal tunnel syndrome - no magic cures but definitely a big help.


Le Squid 19-11-2015 08:18 PM

Cortisone does work for some but in my case it only lasted until the local anesthetic wore off and maybe partial placebo effect? I do Aircon/Electrical work so maybe it case related, I'm 41 and cranky :laughing-


Cheers ^alc

Cliiint 22-11-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon west (Post 1958887)

Um?

What leans you to carpel tunnel?

Dr Google gave me the prognosis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalboy (Post 1958901)
try some acupuncture mark
could be a nerve in your neck - do you have your head tilted forward a lot?

I think a few needles might be worth giving a go, Matt. Had acupuncture years ago for a rooted back and it worked.
Had a visit to the chiropractor on the Friday after symptoms got REAL apparent on Wednesday. She reckoned C5 & C6 were out. Didn't make any difference. (I go every 4 weeks)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bente (Post 1958914)
Carpal tunnel release is usually take pressure off the median nerve goes to the the thumb and next two fingers. And a half finger. Another nerve does the pinky and ring finger. I had mine released and lunate bone removed and ruptured tendon repaired just the other day. Stitched still in, Just a Carpal tunnel can be simple and back to work same day

Yeah. I used Carpal Tunnel in the header to get attention to the post. Dr Google says Cupital Tunnel. :mad:


The effect varies but the worse thing is washing my hair and rolling an electrical lead. The pad of my little and ring fingers are really sensitive but numb at the same time. Washing hair just feels wrong and pulling cable through my hand just sends a really weird shock. (F***! Did I unplug it?^rof)

Anyway, I'm probably going into the doc tomorrow as I have lost a huge amount of fine motor skill and strength to do some fine things with my index and other fingers doing fine stuff. Pretty annoying when you're trying to screw bolts together on a machine with awkward positions behind panels etc.

I'm going to get a wrist braces . . . And I'm 54 and slightly pissed off, Le Squid.

EdgyAl 22-11-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr bergman (Post 1958919)
in the early stages, it's often only triggered when you are sleeping... you tend to roll your wrists forward when asleep and this compresses the tunnel even more.

you can get a wrist brace from ebay for under $15 that holds your wrist straight and prevents the pins and needles, works for me.

there are wrist exercises you can do to keep the pressure off the nerve, just google around.

as it gets worse though, it can start to happen any time and that's when guys look at options... a steroid injection can give relief for a few months. surgery can fix it for the longer term but it can return too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

even though mine had all the clear symptoms, my doc got me to have it properly diagnosed to make sure it wasn't something else, probably a good idea in your case too. a dirt ride was certainly making it worse in my case but so far the brace is keeping it at bay.

Don't worry about google, I know the best wrist exercise of them all,
Even the missus or your your mates mum can join in.


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.