dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northern Territory Rides (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Darwin Riding Spots (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19181)

Zoro 28-02-2006 12:37 AM

Darwin Riding Spots

Looking for good long rides located close to Darwin.
Can anyone that lives up this way share a good spot?
We have an XR100 and an XR250.
The 250 is registered but i she wants to take her bike too. :)

Thanks

AJS 28-02-2006 02:13 PM

Howard Swamp. Head out towards Howard Springs Reserve and follow the bitumen til you hit the dirt, bout 5 km. Dont turn into the Reserve, but follow the main road around the r/h sweeper. On your right will be a small area of salt pan and tracks. Leading off away from that area is a few tracks will lead you to a lot of great tracks, mainly rough twin track stuff with a few good dirt roads thrown in.
There are also quite a few tracks on the opposite side of the road.

^roost

Zoro 28-02-2006 08:29 PM

Thanks AJS, thats a start mate. I'll hafta go and have a look on the weekend.
Anyone got any others?

AJS 01-03-2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoro
Thanks AJS, thats a start mate. I'll hafta go and have a look on the weekend.
Anyone got any others?

That area will keep ya busy for the weekends over the next month or two.... ;) ^rockon

Wilko 02-03-2006 01:12 PM

Contact Stealth he lives in Darwin, he could be out in the feild so it may take a week or so for him to get back to you

shannow 12-03-2006 06:54 PM

There are a few places to go, around palmerston. But if u havent been to the Howard Springs area yet, then you have heaps of trail riding ahead.

Zoro 14-03-2006 10:07 PM

Yep i went out Howard Springs way, about 5k's up and pulled off to the left down a track, parked the car and trailer and we took off from there to a swamp or something. We did about 60k's around the area and got lost trying to come back and ended up near a creek somewhere. Went for another ride and followed the power lines for a while, turned around and came back. I would like to go up to the end of the main road and have a ride ride up there too one of these days. I think i'll leave the other half at home that day though. :grinning-

What about the Litchfield Park area?
Whats the riding like down there?
Are we allowed to ride there?

Thanks
Boys

shannow 14-03-2006 11:21 PM

I know the Howard area real well, ive been water fowl shooting there for years and ive taken my bike almost everywhere in that area.
I went all the way down the main dirt track to the beach, popular for fishing, 150kms from Casuarina and back, i reckon i was running on reserve fumes.
Ive never explored litchfield on my bike. I would imagine there would be some real good tracks there as its a huge area.

Zoro 14-03-2006 11:39 PM

Shannow, whats the deal with riding in National Parks up here?
Am i gunna get get my ass wipped if i go riding around in there?

Might be worth an email to the NT Gov if i can find a place to send it.

kezzajohnson 30-05-2006 10:49 PM

I am just exploring some riding areas myself but am not as restricted seeing as
i am riding a dr650se. Litchfields a great place but you can only ride on roads that cars take. The back road (dirt) is a lot of fun and when you get to the park itself, there are some great sweeping bitumen roads all the way through. If you know the spots, some awesome swimming holes-especially if you don't
mind walking a bit. later in the dry season, I would like to try the dirt road that goes to surprise creek and on to hayes creek via. few interesting creek crossings and dirt and sandy stretches. Could be a lot of fun.
Big bore dual purpose is the way to go though for this type of riding that combines highways and dirt.