View Single Post
Old 16-07-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Understanding Midvalve

Hey all,

The following all relates to my 48mm WP forks.

I'm trying to get an understanding of the relationship between the midvalve and the basevalve. What are the pro's and con's of running a tapered stack midvalve in a KTM?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the midvalve flows/controls the oil into the chamber behide the midvalve in the cartridge during compression. The basevalve flows/controls the oil displaced by the cartirdge rod, which is a much smaller amount of oil then the midvalve sees.

If for instance the basevalve was sealed, as in no oil flow, then the fork would not compress. If the midvalve was sealed the fork would still compress and could be controlled by the basevalve although the rebound circuit would cavitate and be rendered useless.

Where does the balance lie between functioning base and midvalves? How firm can a midvalve get before it starts to cavitate inside the cartridge?

In a standard KTM setup the midvalve doesn't seem to do much in the way of damping therfore relies heavily on the basevalve to control compression.

When trying to tune a fork what is more important shim configuration or float? Should you set the float, then leave it and work out a shim stack? Or setup a stack and then play with the float?

Thanks.......