View Single Post
Old 21-04-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Taken from an engineering website

Quote:
Stator Frame and Rotor Construction

The stator frame is used to hold the armature windings in alternators, and in case of larger diameter alternators (which are slow speed) the stator frame is cast out of sections and there are holes for ventilation in the casting itself. The recent trends towards such stator construction are more in favour of using mild steel plates which are welded together rather than using castings.
It seems nearly everyone uses the layman term of stator to refer to both the armature windings and the stator. But is not the correct term

Not that I doubted you at all Nutty

So in order to avoid being left stranded with a failed alternator, should I get it rewound periodically?

It's something that concerns me because it's happened once before and I ride alone a lot.

"Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."John 3:5
"Not one dyno run here has seen a 450 4T hit 8HP or a 500-530cc 4T hit 10HP at 3000rpm, EVERY KTM300 pull is over 12HP at the same revs." Expert Tuner
Current bike: 2013 Berg 300. Previous: 2006 KTM 300, 2004 KTM 250 EXC, Husky TE 350, DT 200, KDX 200, XT 200, XR 80, XR 75, RM 50