dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I had the same wobble when I bought a new set of steelies with BFG KO2s for my 15 DMAX. I took it back to Bob Jane twice but not really any better. I investigated a little but most of the lingo in this thread is beyond my knowledge. Basically what I figured out was that Bob Jane didn't have the right stuff to do the job. Ended up taking it to a Dunlop tyre place I drive past twice everyday and they balanced them correctly, never had the problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
Ive got a Ranger with Black Dynamic steel wheels with 33inch BFG K02s fitted to it and they fit with a 2inch lift.

The balancing thing was something id heard about and i have had a few issues and im about to get them balanced and a wheel alignment done again but i have a feeling this might be down to the bob jane shop who fit them for me. They did some less than average things when fitting my first set that led to me making them replace the first set of wheels and tires with another brand new set. They used a set of cheapo black wheel nuts that chewed the hell out of the face on the wheel, its something that blind freddy would have noticed as metal shavings were poking out from between the nut and the wheel. I took a nut off at home and saw what it had done to the wheel and drove it straight back and made them replace them. Didnt give me a lot of confidence in their work after that.

They have been ok for the last few months but a vibration has developed at about 75-90 ks. I wont be taking it back them though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigberger View Post
That sucks, I know exactly how you feel. My wobble comes at the same speed with my current steelies. I use a torque wrench when putting the nuts on after one of my nuts seized on the thread - around the same time my car came back from Pedders and strangely around the same time a brake caliper bolt went missing...but that's another story.

I've not seen any major burring at the mounting surface to my wheels, but they are fairly old and holes aren't perfect now. The nuts are fairly good, but as Tom pointed out, I've never checked if these two surfaces are meant for each other.

I was actually talking to a Bob Jane about Dynamic wheels! They're the catalyst for this post!! I might look at other brands if you are having these problems, maybe Kings.

https://www.facebook.com/CayzerBoat

Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Rooster View Post
Thread hack. I've got a current model Hilux with 265/60R18 tyres. I'm looking at getting another set of rims with tyres better suited to outback trips. I'm not after bigger, but more side wall so I don't dent rims etc. Any suggestions on whether to go 17" (265/70R17) or 16" (265/75R16). I was wondering if anyone knows whether 17" wheels off a Prado may suit?
If you've got good tyres on the 18's, I'd use them. You've already got 160mm if sidewall on these, heaps enough. Or get a set of good ATs on these rims of a similar profile. Although, it is cheaper for smaller tyres. From previous experience, 16" with 75 profile puts you into light truck territory. Not something I'd recommend as the rubber is harder and not as grippy. I had a set of Toyo Open Country H/T's that were up to 125,000Km and still had about 10mm of tread, but had gone really hard (took 5 years to get to this) and were hopeless in the wet.

Your Prado wheels should fit, same PCD.
Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoodle View Post
I had the same wobble when I bought a new set of steelies with BFG KO2s for my 15 DMAX. I took it back to Bob Jane twice but not really any better. I investigated a little but most of the lingo in this thread is beyond my knowledge. Basically what I figured out was that Bob Jane didn't have the right stuff to do the job. Ended up taking it to a Dunlop tyre place I drive past twice everyday and they balanced them correctly, never had the problem anymore.
I actually read something on a ranger forum ages ago about having to get them balanced with a certain type of machine. Could explain why yours were sorted by someone else. As soon as i get a chance ill do the same.

Failing that, i have a bloke who is a gun mechanic and who is actually intrested in solving problems and not just plugging a computer in and seeing what it spits out. Ill give it to him till its sorted.
Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Steelies that locate on the studs should be balanced with a finger style jig that centers the rim around the stud holes, not the centrebore of the rim.

There are also radial force balancing machines that will balance the wheel and tyre taking into account differences in the force needed to deform the sidewall/tread around the circumference of the tyre.
1998 Suzuki DR250
1992 Honda CR250
Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
Steelies that locate on the studs should be balanced with a finger style jig that centers the rim around the stud holes, not the centrebore of the rim.

There are also radial force balancing machines that will balance the wheel and tyre taking into account differences in the force needed to deform the sidewall/tread around the circumference of the tyre.
Anyone come up with a way to balance a wheel on a car/ute yet[ without the use machines] ??
Old 13-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah there are on car balancing machines but they are pretty old tech, I only used one once when I was learning my trade at TAFE in the early 00's. Not sure if there are modernised versions around.

EDIT: saw you mentioned without machines. Balance beads inside the tyre are said to work well.

Here is a good vid to explain how they work

1998 Suzuki DR250
1992 Honda CR250

Last edited by aidan; 13-08-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 14-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

while we're on the subject of misfit rims & tyres, how about:
how bad is 31x10.5r 15 tyres (remember them) on 6.5" wide rims when min recommended width is 7".

at least these rims are correct to the hub!
Old 14-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
how bad is 31x10.5r 15 tyres (remember them) on 6.5" wide rims when min recommended width is 7".

It'd be good in sand but terrible on tar. Also, it's definitely illegal to run a rim less than the width on the tyre placard.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 14-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
It'd be good in sand.......
just as well we were only thinking of it for the beach buggy
Old 14-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post

That's a bit out there.

When we were involved with Nascar the mandated rim width was 9.5'' and the tread width of the tyre was about 12''. Looked ok with tall cross plys, not so much when we went to radials.

Steel wheels on the cars, not hub centric.
Twin tyres 45 psi in the outer 65 psi in the inner on the right front. 3500 lb car + driver, 52 % nose weight massive aero on cars like the old tbirds, 24 degree banking adding even more load, 5 5/8 studs on a 5'' pcd. 100 % reliable, even for wacking the concrete wall.

But that's got nothing to do with street legalities.