dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

New boots feel weird

Hi all

I recently bought a bike for my boy and myself. I have also bought all the protection gear but I seem to have an issue with my new boots.
I bought the gearme gx1.
The right foot feels great and have good brake contact when needed but the left one seems odd. I seem to struggle with shifting. My foot keeps getting caught between the peg and the gear lever.
Mind you, it s been such a long time since I have been riding and remember the feeling of boots in relation to the gear lever.
Are boots somethings one has to get used to. Break in period. I have been riding around the property and not,the track. We r off to the track this week end so hopefully I ll feel a bit more comfortable.
Anybody experience this by any chance.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Gaerne boots are great quality boots . The gx1 are their budget range though and may require a break in period . I have the gaerne sg10 and they were perfect straight away , this generally the case with the more expensive boots . I would try raising the gear leaver a bit to give your boot more room . That way when you are standing it will be easier to shift gears.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Check the gear lever adjustment. Muck around with it. You might find a happy medium.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 6 Days Ago
The "One" and only

New boots and new bike. Nothing abnormal here. Fill the boots with water and ride for 1/2 day. They'll be perfect next ride.
Old 6 Days Ago
DBW Dweller

Thanks guys.
Will look at moving the lever to suit my riding style.
Shows how much of a noob I am not knowing about being able to move the lever.
Just out of curiosity, do they come in different length or standard?
Cheers
Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Unless you have very large feet or your bike has an unusually short gear shifter , I would just take the bolt out , remove the shifter , rotate it up and insert it back on then tighten the bolt . you can get aftermarket shifters that are different lengths but try raising the shifter first . Before you tighten the bolt just sit on the bike and try the position first . If you need to reposition it then it will be easier .
Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Gear levers are relatively cheap & most are not bike or brand specific.
I've hack-sawed half of mine off: Given, admittedly, I am a bit queer.

I change up-gears with the sole-seam-edge of my boot.
- That enables me to have the lever in a lower position.

It did take me quite a while to adapt to that/this/my way.
Yet-now: I can mono from 1st to Top: Maybe-Sometimes.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Depends on what you ride, 450f you can roll around with minimal gear changes, so modern ski boots are ok.125 2t id go with trials boots, maximum feel on the lever.
Old 2 Days Ago
DBW Dweller

Definitely will try to rotate it.
I went for a ride yesterday before I change the position of it to see if I can get use to it the way it is, but absolutely not. I really struggled. I love change it before next ride.
Talking about riding, I m a little disappointed with myself. Though I have ridden before like 20 years ago, I bought the bike thinking that it s like riding a bicycle and you never really loose it.
To be honest , m no better than a beginner. May be old age and fear has set in. Even though I want to open it up, I feel a bit uncomfortable on the bike. Went to Qmp yesterday and did the novice endure loop but even the smallest rut makes me a bit nervous.
Hopefully I will get over that. I probably need to ride with some else as to have a bit more of a challenge.
Has anybody ever experienced that?
Cheers