dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 19-03-2017
dbw Pro

My 2103 has developed a rattle where the exhaust slides into the flange on the engine. I take the pipe off pretty regularly to replace the silicon and o ring (usually after the pipe gets a bump). There is a little groove inside the flange now so clearly the pipe is rubbing.
It's my first 2t so I do not have a feel as to whether the pipe is fitting snuggly enough or maybe the pipe is bent?
Is there a fix for this? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 20-03-2017
dbw Pro

Check for straightness , do you use a good sealant? The pipes are a weakness in 200's , sitting well down and waiting to be hit. We keep good O rings on ours and use exhaust silicone seal and get pipes straightened to seat squarely in flange. I notice that if its not fitting well, the bike may lean off a bit too. Is the groove uniform all way around, I think it is factory made

What is it rattling on? Frame or bashplate? Also check the other rubber mountings, they are "swing joints" on parts list, they will wear and add to the looseness of the lot
Old 20-03-2017
dbw Pro

Thanks Jeff that's a good list to check.
I use locktite 596 ( red colour high temp sealant) and OEM o rings.
The pipe is not touching the frame or bash plate but I can't be 100% sure the rattle is in the flange either. When I push the pipe slightly to one side the rattle stops so it could be an alignment issue. Is there a fool proof way to check alignment other than to eye it in?

I have never replaced the rubber mounts so will try that also. How about the springs that hold the pipe into the flange. Are they a consumable item that need to be replaced regularly?
Old 21-03-2017
dbw Pro

I have never replaced the rubber mounts so will try that also. How about the springs that hold the pipe into the flange. Are they a consumable item that need to be replaced regularly?[/QUOTE]

springs should wear but are a cheap item, so if looking tired replace them , are they tensioned, or have the clips on pipe been bent?

if only KTM updated the 200 like it did for the 250 & 300...........
Old 21-03-2017
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anytime View Post
My 2103 has developed a rattle where the exhaust slides into the flange on the engine. I take the pipe off pretty regularly to replace the silicon and o ring (usually after the pipe gets a bump). There is a little groove inside the flange now so clearly the pipe is rubbing.
It's my first 2t so I do not have a feel as to whether the pipe is fitting snuggly enough or maybe the pipe is bent?

Is there a fix for this? Any ideas would be appreciated.
The fix is to clean the area up with Shellite and then use Selleys 'brick and concrete' silicon sealer liberally around the o'rings. It's a viton based sealant that offers awesome support to the pipe/barrel join. Cheap as chips and works unreal, also it's grey and doesn't look like a bodgy fix.
Old 21-03-2017
dbw Pro Legend

What the hell is shellite Nutty? Do you put the silicone stuff on after fitting pipe(smear it around pipe/manifold gap) or on orings then insert or both?

I tried rtv but it didn't last long-dunno if heat or oil/fuel/spooge it didn't like
Old 21-03-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
What the hell is shellite Nutty? Do you put the silicone stuff on after fitting pipe(smear it around pipe/manifold gap) or on orings then insert or both?

I tried rtv but it didn't last long-dunno if heat or oil/fuel/spooge it didn't like
Shellite man! Solvent..

Evaporates quickly and leaves no oily residue! Good stuff!

I use RTV red on the EC as well. A add some to both mating surfaces and let it sit for 20mins or so before putting them together. Seems to work well.
Old 01-09-2017
dbw Pro

Should pick up a 2015 model next week, won't get to ride till Oct but will post some pics.

Whats the best range people are getting? Seeing ranges on this thread from 60-100klm. I plan to ride it hard through fast flowing single/double track and fire.

Our loop is usually 90-100klm just wondering if I need to start doing a fuel drop or taking some extra.
Old 01-09-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
I finally finished the preparation and clean-up on my new 200 and took a couple of pre-ride photos.

It's a 2012, I did the top end with a new B piston, installed a V force 3 reed valve, higher compression and re-shaped head, suspension re-valved and serviced by Suspension Matters, new white plastics and $50 Flu graphics and new front wheel as the front rim had a huge crack. Whole wheel was cheaper than new rim and spokes. I have a new black rim for the rear as well as it is starting to crack and has a lot of corrosion.
It came with a Hardparts pipe and FMF shorty with the stepped seat.

I had my first ride on Saturday and was impressed, the jetting is stock and it seemed pretty good. I may change back the original muffler to tame the transition into the mid.

It came with a Hyde plastic bash plate/pipe protector but it doesn't fit. I need to check if Force have one to fit the Hardparts pipe.
Got any pics with the black rear rim?
Old 12-09-2017
dbw Pro

News just in, 2015 KTM 200 exc has just landed (in my garage). Only has 15 hrs so super keen to double that ASAP.

Have already put some stegz pegz on, will put my handlebar and steering damper on at some stage too. Tomorrow she's off for some fresh hoops then hopefully a maiden voyage in Urbs next Sat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (116.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2578.jpg (118.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2579.jpg (119.5 KB, 19 views)