Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Geoff Ballard WR450F review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2R8gzqy_JE

Enjoy my Blue riding family !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Yamaha recomend the 2019 yz250f cam chain, guides and tensioner be replaced every 12.5hrs. 2020 wr250f same engine so i wonder if there the same intervals??
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm wrench View Post
Yamaha recomend the 2019 yz250f cam chain, guides and tensioner be replaced every 12.5hrs. 2020 wr250f same engine so i wonder if there the same intervals??
A mate got a new YZ250 around 2005 and the manual called for a new crank at a similar interval. Who actually does that?

Meanwhile, I assisted a mate fit a new piston and cam chain into a 2002 (was that the first year) WR250F which he rode as a trail bike for many years and then took it to Sydney to use as a commuter bike. 24,000kms. "It's using a bit of oil" he told me! Engine had never been opened before.

It's a Yamaha. I wouldn't sweat it.

The Rock Garden
The Jetting Test
The Sand Whoops
Log Training
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJW View Post
A mate got a new YZ250 around 2005 and the manual called for a new crank at a similar interval. Who actually does that?

Meanwhile, I assisted a mate fit a new piston and cam chain into a 2002 (was that the first year) WR250F which he rode as a trail bike for many years and then took it to Sydney to use as a commuter bike. 24,000kms. "It's using a bit of oil" he told me! Engine had never been opened before.

It's a Yamaha. I wouldn't sweat it.
2001 was first year from memory. There was a thread I read some years ago on Thumpertalk about WRf250 mileage. Some guys had done some ridiculous miles on original engines. 20 & 30K miles!! Irrespective of the varieties or uses these bikes had. For a competition based single cylinder 250 dirtbike. That's pretty impressive?
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

I had a 2001, I think the older ones had great longevity thanks to the steel frame acting as a giant oil cooler. The 3 ring pistons and 5 valves etc all helped too.

I remember doing hill climbs on the CRF back to back with the old WR and you couldnt touch the honda motor for the heat afterward but you could still put your hand on the WR motor.

Great design apart from the COG issues on the steel frame and 997mm seat height they had. I doubt you need to do anything at 12.5hrs on a WR.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm wrench View Post
A mate with 3 young gun MX'ers has a couple of late model YZ250f's in the shed. Both complete engine Write off's. Can't even make one out of the two wrecked engines. One has the conrod peeking out of the crankcase, the other not much better. Very few salvageable parts between the pair.

When they let go, it's not pretty.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
A mate with 3 young gun MX'ers has a couple of late model YZ250f's in the shed. Both complete engine Write off's. Can't even make one out of the two wrecked engines. One has the conrod peeking out of the crankcase, the other not much better. Very few salvageable parts between the pair.

No way I donít believe this Yamahas are bulletproof-you sure they arenít 2 tpi bikes in the shed-apparently there time bomb engines.

Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post

I'm hearing similar stories across all 250f brands amongst the hard core racers.

Major rebuilds at 50hrs or less.

When you consider the peak power these things make at the top of the rev range, it's easy to see how stressed the motors can be.
Like Us On Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac450 View Post
I'm hearing similar stories across all 250f brands amongst the hard core racers.

Major rebuilds at 50hrs or less.

When you consider the peak power these things make at the top of the rev range, it's easy to see how stressed the motors can be.
Yep, I've seen a rod through the case of a honda 250f at around 30hrs. It was the practice bike, I was at the blokes place the week before and he said it needs doing - next time I turn up case is holed.

The quoted maintenance intervals are for engines that are held constantly at wot, us trail hacks don't have to worry about it.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobz View Post
I was in the same boat re: having come from 250f's, owned a wr 450 2012 model and swore to myself I'd never get another 450 again after the scalpel like turning of the '15 wr250f.

I'm eyeing off the' 20 wr250f but there's no reviews out yet. What's your thoughts on the 450?
I found the 2014 Wr450 a very confused bike, a 250f frame with a old school 450 donk and some FI thrown at it.

Yamaha installs a spacer under the top triple (10mm from memory) and run lighter fork springs to make them "steer faster" making them twitchy and tuck when pushed harder, its basically like having your forks slid up 20mm through the clamp.

More details here.
https://transmoto.com.au/2016-yamaha...ension-set-up/

My 2018 has just had suspension done (correct rate springs valve changes and dyno tuned) , installed a radius cx recluse, replaced stock bars with Suzuki/ktm bend Tubliss with AT81s . Rode this back this back to back with a 2019 Yz250fx with similar mods, the 250 feels more agile but nothing life changing.
Point being, don't make a decision based on a 2012-2015 wr450