dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 10-02-2013
dbw Factory Pro

The road racer.
may only be a fairyblade (250), but with a grid full of them they are heaps of fun.
esp the 19000rpm redline
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan.N View Post
while a few have mentioned VTR 1000's, i recently bought one and im rapt with it!

They are a very good thing, great for blasts up through the hills!

Awesome sound, thats the main reason i bought it!

Nice grunt, good allrounder, bulletproof, however it does have its limitations when pushed a bit harder, but then again, it wasnt designed as a race bike.

It does however put a big smile on my face when i ride it, thats the main thing.

And while on the subject of roadies, recently rode a mates BMW S1000rr.
Man Do those things get up and go!

Had one now for a few years, fairly sorted now
raise the rear
drop the front
Progressive springs and revalve the front
Soft brake pads
remove carb restrictors and the recirc pollution works.
Dial the cams
Open the pipes a little but retain some back-pressure
bring the clip-ons up a few mil
uick pull throttle
dyno-tune
now you have a very usuable deceptive bike that never fails to bring a smile, got mine so on low speed corners I take my left hand off and touch the tar all around the corner, just to annoy the blokes behind me.

KWERTY, never change will you..
cause every flock needs it's woodducks, and you my friend are still the top woodduck ever.

cause if a bloke on a SM took me on tight roads and I was riding anything sporty I would never ride again....

Oh and I've done track days at lakeside with graded SM pilots around me... only thing they have is... umm ... umm oh yeah they FEEL fast because at their limits the sportsbike like GSXR etc still has a g of grip left before it starts sliding...

Cause you know if the design is so uick on twisties the factories would stuff big HP engines in high centre of gravity chassis... but see like a car with a loud exhaust the SM feels faster cause it is so busy doing it...
not doing it smooth and easy

Last edited by Hivisibility; 10-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Factory Pro

IMG_0213a.jpg

my summer chill pill
yeah i enjoy the scenery
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro Addict

I need riding road only for the past 6 months. Wife has started riding road now and she has track day this weekend (ladies track day at broadford this sat 100 odd incl lunch). I am thinking of buying another bike so we can ride together, was thinking about the blackbird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
Sold my VTR1000 (love that sound), bought a Blackbird and own a WR450F.
Lots to like with the VTR, best bang for buck you can get too !.
Is eildon to jamo road sealed now?
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivisibility View Post
Had one now for a few years, fairly sorted now
raise the rear
drop the front
Progressive springs and revalve the front
Soft brake pads
remove carb restrictors and the recirc pollution works.
Dial the cams
Open the pipes a little but retain some back-pressure
bring the clip-ons up a few mil
uick pull throttle
dyno-tune
now you have a very usuable deceptive bike that never fails to bring a smile, got mine so on low speed corners I take my left hand off and touch the tar all around the corner, just to annoy the blokes behind me.

KWERTY, never change will you..
cause every flock needs it's woodducks, and you my friend are still the top woodduck ever.
Hivis, (and BrendanN)

+1 on the kweerty comment

A little VTR story from me

I had a smile when I read this post because you and I must have similar taste in road bike set up.
Why? because in 1997 I traded my 1995 CBR6 in on a new red VTR, they were just out and were the latest thing ( a big twin Honda trying to cash in on the 916 popularity I think)

Anyway, over the course of two years I put 30,000km, at least 10 track days and lots of interstate trips on it.
Like you I did the following
Slightly stiffer Ohlins front springs
I had someone make little alloy brackets that raised the clip ons 9mm (I found these in the garage the other day)
Stain tune mufflers - I then put it on the dyno tune dyno and found that if you left the little baffle inserts in the tail end of the pipe it gave 2hp more through the rev range except for right at red line. With them removed it was too noisy and gave a 3hp gain in the last 1000rpm = only took them out for track days.
Incidentally bog stock I got 104 rear wheel HP and a stock ducati 916 was 101hp. (the stain tunes only gave a 1hp increase but a nicer note)

It was a great bike, used to use a bit of oil at track days, very deceptive and fast. I agree with brendanN, the suspension and shock (as standard) was a bit agricultural compared to CBR models at the time.

Those first models came out with a small fuel tank, I was constantly laughed at on big trips with mates as I was always the first one to need fuel.

Nice to see they sold for well over 10 years which proves Honda got the original formula right
Old 10-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivisibility View Post
Oh and I've done track days at lakeside with graded SM pilots around me... only thing they have is... umm ... umm oh yeah they FEEL fast because at their limits the sportsbike like GSXR etc still has a g of grip left before it starts sliding...
NEVER, not once, ever have I been passed by a road bike in the twisties. It's easy as piss to get past them. I laugh my ass off as my ~40hp DR650 with dual sport tyres goes flying past their 150hp $15,000 'machine' around a corner
NOTHING corners faster than an SM bike

Your big fat heavy road bike with it's laying flat position (cause we all know how ergonomic that is for taking tight turns) would slide off the track long before an SM loses grip
Old 10-02-2013
DBW Clubman

Hey Riles, are the staintunes straight slip ons? Any jetting required? I bought my 06 VTR 9 months ago with an original 900 klm's on it.. Absolute show room condition, stock as, but I'd like to unleash the big vtwin sound without being too loud for the 5am departure to work on occasion. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1234 View Post
NEVER, not once, ever have I been passed by a road bike in the twisties. It's easy as piss to get past them. I laugh my ass off as my ~40hp DR650 with dual sport tyres goes flying past their 150hp $15,000 'machine' around a corner
NOTHING corners faster than an SM bike

Your big fat heavy road bike with it's laying flat position (cause we all know how ergonomic that is for taking tight turns) would slide off the track long before an SM loses grip
hey kwerty
42 years on the dirt
32 on the road
over 70 bikes
Rode A grade comp
Raced roadies
ridden SMs... fat and heavy?
my wifes old ZXR750J2 with carbon had 100hp and weighed under 170 all up
my RZ350 had 65+hp weighed 128 in cafe form
Honestly my boy you are a naieve boy in the world of bikes, you can insult your own intelligence all you want but please don't try to force feed blokes who HAVE been around and have scars trophies and so forth in history with conjecture or limited experience crap from riding a few bikes against a few others like himself, you know what OLD ex-roadbike riders do for shits 'n giggles, when speed is too much for them and reflexes are slow and so are the bikes?
Oh yeah they go superMotoing.....

do you know how many like you I have heard in my life?

too bloody many..

but anyway have nice dreams, I refuse to listen to them, my br?in might explode with the "Facts"

and you never did show up[ for that ride with The Border blokes either did you?
Bathy gave an open invite.....

BeeCee

life is too short for educating fools.....but they continue to educate me..
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro

currently have a 2006 cbr600rr...it's up for sale at the moment with a possible buyer pending inspection, etc this week...will be sad to see it go but I no longer have the desire to ride it...the ktm takes first priority now :P

in it's usual road fairings

in the cheap chinese fairings for trackdays
Old 10-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Bwahahaha

you blokes are biting too hard to Mr qwerty.....

all i heard in the first post was blah blah blah fishing blah blah penis blah blah