dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 27-04-2008
dbw Factory Pro

Check your intake boot doesnt have a crack in it. If it does, it wont be getting any fuel!

'09 yz250f SE - For sale, 290 big bore, hot cams, megabomb, 50 hrs, $4800 ono

83 YZ250 - Vintage project
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
You've probably hit the nail on the head there! Common problem I understand on the earlier models.

Probably easy enough to check by making sure the piston is at TDC (kebab stick thru the sparkplug hole) and check marks on rotor line up.

Goutman, when you say good spark, I take it you mean a nice fat blue one? Is the plug ever wet when you take it out to check it?
Urgh, hopefully they didnt just put it together with that crap mechanics use on sheared flywheels to hold em then flog it off

Local shop did that to my wr400 even with the thread rooted on the shaft that holds the flywheel on, ended up replacing the crankshaft my self as once they got it going turned out the bike needed the big end done anyway
2006 YZ125 #183
2006 YZ250 Frankston thrasher
2008 EC300
2001 YFZ350 Banshee - Off tap!
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro

They are bloody hard to start. I had the same problem, took me a good 6 months to get the nack of starting it. If you do it wrong 1 or 2 times, u will probably flood the carbie, then ahve to wait 10 mins before u try again, u got to get it in the first couple of shots. put the stand down on the bike and stand on the pegs to start it to get more kicking room. Kick it over in rapid succession about 4 or 5 times. I found the rapid succession kicking very successful before i got the proper nack down.

In regards to the de-comp, before u try to start it, pull in the de-comp and kick it over bout 5 times, then turn it over till u get to the friction point, pull de-comp slightly till u get to the next friction point, release, let the kicker come to the top and give it a big kick. If it does not start, kick it over about 5 times in rapid succession. If it still does not start, wait 10 mins and try again
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutman View Post
Howdy guys and girls.... recently purchased a 02 wr 426. Upon first inspection the bike fired first kick on a cold motor, since getting it home i have struggled to make it start. I have changed spark plug, its getting spark, its getting fuel through to the carby and has a heap of compression. I dont use the throttle to help start it as they have a mechanical fuel pump, and use the decomp lever. The method in which i use to start it goes like this... fuels on, chokes out, kick down till i get some resistance, engage decomp lever, kick down a further poofteenth, release lever and give it a boot. It doesnt even give a hint of wanting to fire. The only thing i have done since purchasing the bike is add a tank of premium fuel and a new plug.... what are your thoughts?
I have a wr 426 01 model Once it has started once you must use hot start.
It took me a long time to start bike when i 1st got it. but now is is easy hot or cold. if does not start 1st or second kick with choke on it is prohably fueling up. Use hot start and even if you throttle it it will still start. Also if you have been kicking it with choke turn fuel tap off to stop it fueling up.
I am in windsor if you can travel i will give you a hand to learn to start it.
Once you learn they are dead easy I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your bike post a reply if you need some help
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro Hero

weird how a MX bike is so hard to start.. or so touch and go anyway..

Every second would count on a MX track I would think,, I assume they are better now day's..But frugg me, sounds tricky
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm400 View Post
weird how a MX bike is so hard to start.. or so touch and go anyway..

Every second would count on a MX track I would think,, I assume they are better now day's..But frugg me, sounds tricky
When set up well with a rider that knows what they are doing they start first kick every time, hot or cold. Most of the e start boys were still winding whilst the 426 was thumping in the carpark
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
When set up well with a rider that knows what they are doing they start first kick every time, hot or cold. Most of the e start boys were still winding whilst the 426 was thumping in the carpark
yep fair call..
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Pro Addict

A mate has one and he can start it in thongs(the ones on ya feet!) so once you have the knack its pretty easy.
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Mafia

once you get that resistance point and you pull in the decomp lever and push it that poofteenth and release the decomp lever bring the kickstarter all the way back up then your getting a full kick out of it
CLUB MUD#506
Old 28-04-2008
dbw Factory Pro

we got this running yesterday, took it for a belt down the street and it ran beautifully. Then when Goutman tried to start it up again, it wouldn't. Did the same thing a couple of hours later after we let it cool (started, turned off and then wouldn't start up again).

Im not sure if goutman was using the hot start to restart it - the previous owner said he never had to use it...