dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > VORC - Yamaha Vic Offroad Series

VORC - Yamaha Vic Offroad Series Proudly Sponsored by: www.scottysdirtbikespares.com

Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Addict

The best advice I can think of is:

Experts won't ride your bike for you in the morning!!!

That means - don't get sucked in drinking with those hardened Enduro types on a Friday night while camping at the event the night before. They may pull up great the next day, but speaking from experience, they won't be there during a cross country or enduro when you have a dehydration head ache and upset guts.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2018 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Addict

Seriously though the hardest thing that I still struggle with is - not coasting along.

When trail riding you might have a go for a while, but then get on the open stuff and cruise. In racing you will lose a lot of time by not coming out of the corner onto an open paddock and hold every gear wide open, when all as you want to do is cruise and rest a little.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2018 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Legend

I'm actually a little different Keg, I use the open sections to take a break and have a drink because you can click up a gear and cruise without losing as much time. Trying to slow down and get a hold of the camelbak in the tight stuff can takes ages trying to dodge trees and stuff. If you can come into the tight stuff a little more relaxed and with more energy I find it a lot easier to pick up time than chasing people down the straight? Maybe I'm just weird though haha
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Factory Pro

NSE.ONE you have broken the fundamental rule of racing...dont add up the costs! The easiest way to make a small fortune in motor sport is to start with a big fortune.
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Champion

+1 Great write up Col.

Seaworld - still enslaving wild orcas and dolphins for human entertainment. Please boycott Seaworld - it's having an effect.
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasGus View Post
NSE.ONE you have broken the fundamental rule of racing...dont add up the costs! The easiest way to make a small fortune in motor sport is to start with a big fortune.

Owen.

Amber
2014 KTM FREERIDE 250R aka MOUNTAIN GOAT

Owen
2015 BETA 300RR
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Addict

I wonder how much 15 years of Vic enduro's cost me?
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSE.ONE View Post
you tend to find where you sit against others and have your own battles even though it may not be for podiums.
I was thinking before, that's a key understanding you need to have with racing.

Unless you win pro class, you've never won, you just happened to be on the happy side of the edge between two classes.

You need to race because you want to challenge yourself to be the best you can. Like you said, having fun with those around you going a similar pace, because no matter where you finish there is always someone faster.

Improving is what it's all about for me... and TRYING to have a little fun in the process.

Sitting around making excuses why you didn't go faster is also fun. Like that time Keg reckoned Angus cut him off

"I rode off the course" is the one I like to use

Last edited by disco; 21-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasGus View Post
I agree Angus!

I dis some basic calculations in my head (the numbers would be too big and too real if I put them on paper ) and found that my season of VORC cost me about $10,000.

Longo did all the prep. work on my bike which didn't cost me much at all because nothing ever really went wrong with it. It was just the usual basic stuff that needed servicing/replacing.

I spent a bit on motel accommodation and food for us both and paid his entry fees for the 2 rounds he did.

It would have cost me a couple of grand less had I not been a shift worker. Because I had to work up a fair bit of extra time at work to get the weekends off that I was racing, I didn't have the opportunity to work any of those shifts for $. An indirect cost for my personal circumstances.

The cost of breaking my leg in the last round and not having enough sick leave to cover it? Well, that's a few grand that I haven't factored in but that's just life. I could just as easily have done that on the trails riding anytime

Racing a season in VORC was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I had been riding a dirt bike for about 2 years and had only upgraded from a CRF230 to a WR250 for about a year.

Basically when you guys say you got your arse handed to you, imagine how it was for a beginner like me. You lot were usually lapping me about halfway through a 3 hour cross country! Faarrk I struggled in the racing terrain - massive braking bumps, soft sandy ruts to the top of my boots, rock gardens, concrete culvets, off camber logs, the Aberfeldy river crossings upto my tank (never dropped her in the drink thank god), snow and skatey mud.........

I achieved two 3rd place positions by default because Amber didn't race one weekend so we all moved up one place and the other one because I had to abandon my race to assist a seriously injured rider - they gave me the maximum points for that

Can't believe I let Amber talk me into racing a state level series. What was I thinking?!

Seaworld - still enslaving wild orcas and dolphins for human entertainment. Please boycott Seaworld - it's having an effect.
Old 21-09-2011
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member

Argh don't mention money!

It's scaring me off.

It's cost me enough just getting ready for next season. :

The in between is mine"

~Eddie Vedder

Last edited by TonyH; 21-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.