dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

besides altering the comp a good head also changes the timing (burn rate of flame, probably has some technical name to describe it) and the TPI ignition can't be changed - I lie, the map switch will retard it slightly which is what i had to do to help the rk heads run.

The TPI bikes just aren't ready for mods, you can't compensate them for extra fuel, extra oil, timing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
you would think dave could mod the head with a better squish band and shape keep the cc and comp ratios very similar and it should not run leaner than stock
Nope, increasing squish efficiency generally utilises more of the fuel charge and causes richer running...but...with squishless heads the entire fuel load burns creating cleaner running but less low rpm torque. The controller isn't capable of coping with anything other than the stock spec. Most good gains with the TPI motor come from getting closer to the stock blueprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
besides altering the comp a good head also changes the timing (burn rate of flame, probably has some technical name to describe it)...
Two separate things. Timing is when the plug fires, FFP is how long the fuel burn takes to get to the edge of the cylinder. Faster FFP allows for less timing. You can't bump up compression too much with squishless heads because you slow down the fuel burn on a head that already takes ages for the flame front to propagate to the cylinder edge.

Quote:
The TPI bikes just aren't ready for mods, you can't compensate for the mods with extra fuel, extra oil, timing.
The bike is fine, it's just the module holding things up.

'13 head, VF4 reed set and a Kokusan 2 channel module would be my starting point for tuning a '19. 3-4 hours in the workshop and it'd be done. The Kokusan module that Ossa used on their double-injected 2T 300Enduro is the essentially the same part that Kawasaki use on the dual-injector KX250F. Tuners will get hold of the TPI pretty soon. Hell, if I had one I'd be all over it like an octopus rooting a rabbit.

I much prefer tuning Yamahas, now...where's my phone.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

So on Nuttys advice i chopped 100mm off the end of the silencer, rode all the same tracks as two weeks before and found a noticeable increase in torque. Wouldnt pull 2nd up some hills before mod and did it easily after it.