dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 09-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Tubliss front tyre choice

Not looking to start a discussion on what's better tubliss or mousse etc!

For this thread I just want to know what front tyres long term users of tubliss are using and how have you found them? I have settled on a maxxis desert tyre on the rear and will always use stiff sidewalled tyres run on low or no air in them.

As for front tyres I have used a pirelli mxms and dunlop at81 for front tyres,have been happy with the at81 on the front but when I checked this morning it was flat and further inspection showed a knob or two has torn halfway off and is leaking air,the rest of all the side knobs are torn too but not badly yet,the tyre has been on since 2013 so it's had a good life but looking to try something different now.

Since I run 8psi in the at81 front I don't really need to be using such a stiff side wall tyre on the front as I don't run the front on low pressure like I do the rear but I still want a tough tyre that will handle smashing into rocks etc so may have to stick with stiff sidewalls for flat protection

1.what tyre do you use with tubliss for front
2.what pressure do you run
3.how does it hold up for toughness/flat prevention

The at81 is around $99 here in oz at the moment and it's a known performance for me,money is tight and don't want to be stuck with the wrong tyre choice,I quite like the pirelli mxms as I used it pre tubliss as well and for a front tyre it handled quite well just unsure how durable it is for tubliss dutys

What other desert type tyres are there to consider for front duties with more plys than normal and don't handle like a bucket of sand?
Old 09-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

this dbw thread? Best Tyre to use with Tubliss system

already posted, i've just done one ride on the goldentyre fat front 100/9-21 and loving it but early days to make any solid conclusions. not sure on it's desert riding applicability but it's got a stiff sidewall so ran zero psi with no issues but figured i may want 2 to 4 psi if hitting stuff hard and fast. 90kg rider on a beta RR300.

heaps of guys talk tyre choice for tubliss over on thumpertalk, could be worth looking there too?
Old 09-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Have read all the stuff over on thumper talk but prefer aussie conditions/reviews,tyres are very personal so it is very hard when a tyre is shit for one person but great for someone else,would be good to get a decent list of how people find their tyre choices,I guess my number one concern or what I need from the tyre is puncture resistant and then handling.Haven't heard any good reviews on maxxis front tyres,dunlop 908 sounds good but very pricey as well as the bridgy ED series
Old 09-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Tubliss front tyre choice

I don't run Tubliss yet, but really like the Golden Tyre 216AA on the front. Sounds like the same as Barry's.

Edit: actually mine is the 90/90-21. My previous tyre was 100/90-21.
Old 09-08-2015
dbw Factory Pro

I am running a Dunlop mx52 on the front of my bike, about 8psi and have had no issue with it so far.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Previous bike:
97 yammy wr250
2007 zx10r ninja
2004 r1
2004 gsxr1000
2002 aprillia rsv1000
98 gsxr600
95 fzr 600
Old 09-08-2015
DBW Expert

Assuming you're doing a typical amount of riding, with two years and predictable handling out of an AT81 for just $99, I don't see why you'd be considering anything else. If something works I stay with it. I've been on Tubliss for 3 or 4 years. Stiff sidewall only for me.

I've got a knobby knife and often I'll trim 1 or 2mm off the top of brand new front side knobs. The reduction in control is hardly noticeable. But the chance of tearing side knobs is less than half.
Old 09-08-2015
DBW Expert

just wondering what you are using to measure the tyre pressure. I asked at a couple of local shops and they only seem to have 5 to 50psi gauges and I would presume they would not be very accurate in the 5 to 12 psi range.
Old 09-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

my new tire has been bridgy 204 front but at low pressure sub 10PSI it does not perform that well, but up the pressure a little its ok
michy starcross front even under 5PSI are very good
Old 10-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post
Assuming you're doing a typical amount of riding, with two years and predictable handling out of an AT81 for just $99, I don't see why you'd be considering anything else. If something works I stay with it. I've been on Tubliss for 3 or 4 years. Stiff sidewall only for me.

I've got a knobby knife and often I'll trim 1 or 2mm off the top of brand new front side knobs. The reduction in control is hardly noticeable. But the chance of tearing side knobs is less than half.

There was a lot of time due to injury that I wasn't riding so maybe the tyre had 60hrs during that time,I assume that's still a good run,if it didn't have torn knobs I wouldn't even consider it worn
Old 10-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
just wondering what you are using to measure the tyre pressure. I asked at a couple of local shops and they only seem to have 5 to 50psi gauges and I would presume they would not be very accurate in the 5 to 12 psi range.

I have a digital gauge from Supercheap it reads from 0-who knows as it doesn't say on it,but I don't set my tyre to 8psi as that's what I want,I just kept pumping it up and letting it down until I was happy with front end and feel and handling and then checked it with the gauge it just happened to be 8psi