dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 10-08-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Ok been running the Tubliss for a couple years now and I have only run two lots of tyres on the front.
The first was a Bridgy 203 which I really did like and ran that at 8-10psi depending on conditions wet/dry, in a 90/100
I have in the last 9mths converted over to the X30 front in about the 8psi range sometimes down to 6psi dependant on conditions again but I have reduced the width to the 80/100 and don't have any issues at all.
I do prefer a softer tyre to run all year round thou for my front

17' Beta 300rr ... Gone & Sold
Complement the Smoker ... Beta 480rr 15' .... Gone & sold
Beta 250rr 16' ... Gone Written Off .. Xmas Drivers
KTM 250 sx 2013 smoker ... Gone & Sold
KTM 350xcf 2014 ... Gone & sold
YZF 450 11'.. Enduroised ... Gone & Sold
Crf450r 04' ... Gone & Sold
CR 85 07' .. Last of the Smokers ... The daughters weapon
Old 11-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Whilst I know the performance of the at81 I decided to try a D952 for the front,it's cheaper at $84.95 and is very similar in construction and is 3 ply,seems to get good reviews on traction and how long it lasts,my dirt bike spending amount has taken a hit recently and having something last a long time has gone to the top of the list
Old 13-08-2015
dbw Pro Addict

I have a bridgy M403 but have used a dunlop MX52 with no complaints, I usually aim for about 12psi in the front for my local tracks

my tubliss thingys seem to be magically sealing properly these days
https://paypal.me/dreamfieldtheory
Old 13-08-2015
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
this dbw thread? Best Tyre to use with Tubliss system

already posted, i've just done one ride on the goldentyre fat front 100/9-21 and loving it but early days to make any solid conclusions. not sure on it's desert riding applicability but it's got a stiff sidewall so ran zero psi with no issues but figured i may want 2 to 4 psi if hitting stuff hard and fast. 90kg rider on a beta RR300.

heaps of guys talk tyre choice for tubliss over on thumpertalk, could be worth looking there too?
Looked at Baz's tyre today.

It's actually a 90/100-21

That's 90mm wide and 90mm high. Looks really round - Good looking tyre for front grip.
Old 13-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Don't you mean 90mm wide and 100mm high?
Old 13-08-2015
dbw Pro Legend

the 90 means 90 wide and the 100 means the side wall is 100% of the tyres width which would make it also 90 high, a 90/90 tyre is 90 wide with a sidewall height only 90% of the 90 wide
Old 13-08-2015
DBW Expert

[kawasaki glenn]the 90 means 90 wide and the 100 means the side wall is 100% of the tyres width which would make it also 90 high]

Well I just like how I learn something new every day, and the fact I have been wrong for so many years
Old 01-11-2015
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki glenn View Post
Whilst I know the performance of the at81 I decided to try a D952 for the front,it's cheaper at $84.95 and is very similar in construction and is 3 ply,seems to get good reviews on traction and how long it lasts,my dirt bike spending amount has taken a hit recently and having something last a long time has gone to the top of the list
So what's your opinion on the D952 front? With what air pressure, what terrain and model of bike?

I bought Dunlop AT81 90/90-21 front for my YZ250. The lighter/standard weight version. Using Tubliss. Only rode on it for about an hour in total, and I was really impressed with the handling. On a mix of hard pack with loose top, loam, sand and some roots and rocks. I have two front wheels, one with a near new Dunlop Geomax MX32 and the other with this AT81. I run both at 11 psi. The benchmark MX32 has amazing grip in soft to medium and gives a very smooth connected front end feeling on harder ground. I really like the MX32. Swapping between the two wheels I noticed this about the AT81:

When inflated on the rim, the 90/90 AT81 is about 2mm wider in the carcas, and the same height.

The AT81 took about 10 minutes to wear in. At first it felt pretty harsh. Thought I had too much pressure in it. It went back to check the pressure. But pressure was fine, and it softened up, due to use and/or heat. I don't want to run the AT81 at lower pressure than 11 because I've read enough stories about how that shortens it's life a lot.

The AT81 has more grip on hard dirt, and less in soft. The MX32 tall knobs feel like they roll over on hard dirt, the AT81 can be trusted a bit more on hard. No surprises there.

Both tires are progressive when they break traction. So no big surprises here either.

Lastly, the great thing about the AT81 on the softer dirt, and including soft sand, is that the front tire tends to float a bit more. Which seems obvious but the way it did it on my bike was good. The front might drift a little if loaded in turns but the bars and front end didn't get directed as much (as the MX32) by the uneven ground surface. I really liked this because it made the normally twitchy light 2 stroke track a bit more predictably around turns or along fast straights. The MX32 is superb on groomed dirt, but on rough random stuff it can bite too much. In ruts for example the MX32 can grab the sides and deflect my bars or climb out but the AT81 kinda soaks up my errors and stabilises my bike.

So I really liked it and want to use it some more. I expect the AT81 will be really good for MX tracks which vary a lot in one lap, which is common for me. Unfortunately I wont get a chance to ride for another 4 weeks.

Last edited by numroe; 01-11-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Good thread Glen, Ive currently got Pirelli MX Extra X 80/100/21 on my front, have found it long wearing, however a bit skatey at 8 psi or less on tubliss. Will be keen to try something else next change. Ive got Pirelli MX Etra X 12/100/18 on the rear, good life mixed terrain soft sand mud rock, run at 4 psi or less on tubliss. Again i am keen to try something else on the rear. Cheers for posting this up Glen.

"PALS"
Old 02-11-2015
dbw Pro Legend

The 952 is going really well,have had no front end washouts and it grips in all conditions,I have it on my KLX450 and the first ride on I did notice that when going over rocks it would deflect away from them at first as its a narrower tyre than the 90/90 AT81,it no longer deflects though so only happened on the first ride.

I would probably go back to using the AT81 in the front and as you say being fatter I also found it alot more stable and I could just plow through any rocks and trust the front end will be stable,the 952 is still good in this area too but the AT81 is better,the only negative with the AT81 is it started to crack around the knobs and alot of them started tearing,it was on the bike for two years so can't complain too much but reviews do say they go off quickly.

I always ran the AT81 at 8psi and the 952 is around the same as well,I don't set them to psi I just keep letting air out and back in until I'm happy with how it handles and then I measure psi to keep it there

the AT81 front only comes in one configuration,it's the rear that has standard or reinforced,I liked the rear but am finding the maxxis desert IT to be better

my local conditions are pretty much everything and includes rock faces,sandstone,sand,mud,gravel and soft dirt as well as hard pack dirt and both the AT81 and 952 handle it all very well,it did take me longer to gel with the AT81 and ill probably never change from using 952 on the front and desert IT on the rear