dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 20-05-2019
dbw Pro

I've got the Merida e160 900 as well.

It actually cost less than my high spec normal mountain bike - mainly because of the "light, cheap, strong - pick any 2" theory, because whereas my mtb has got carbon everything, the motor in the Merida means that you don't have to worry so much about weight and everything is alloy.

As for riding them, they're great. For XC type terrain I find they take a bit of getting used to as you can find yourself coming into corners and obstacles much faster than on a normal bike. But for downhill use I generally switch the power off and they feel pretty similar to a normal bike - except when you get to the bottom and have to pedal back up the firetrail, that's when they really come into their own!
Old 21-05-2019
dbw Pro

I have the Specialized Turbo Kenevo. Love it and have sold my other MTBs. Biggest up side is being able to ride from home and hit Mt Stromlo which is only 2km from my place. Riding the motorbike requires trailers, gear, coordinating mates etc etc, whereas the eMTB is just get out and go. For me the ride experience is as good as a typical moto trail ride but not quite as good as a great moto trail ride.

I test rode the Merida 160 and really liked it but bought the Kenevo because I have the Mt Stromlo downhill course in my backyard and the Kenevo has more suitable suspension (Ohlins rear coil shock). If I was only trail riding I would have picked the Merida. One piece of advice that I received and agree with is that with an ebike, you can go with more suspension than what you would with a regular mtb. The motor compensates for the extra weight and you are going faster and therefore can use more suspension.
Old 22-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkster View Post
I have the Specialized Turbo Kenevo. Love it and have sold my other MTBs. Biggest up side is being able to ride from home and hit Mt Stromlo which is only 2km from my place. Riding the motorbike requires trailers, gear, coordinating mates etc etc, whereas the eMTB is just get out and go. For me the ride experience is as good as a typical moto trail ride but not quite as good as a great moto trail ride.
What are the legalities of riding these things on mountain bike tracks and roads?? I'm guessing the local xc geeks will not want you on their hand crafted trails. I'm lucky enough to have tracks i can ride on the edge of town on my dirt bike or trials bike . With rec rego im fully covered and legal. The prices will come down but holey shit ebikes are $$$.
2004 YZ240F
1991 DR250
1975 TC100 !
Old 22-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

No dramas on riding where ever you want. You might just cop some flack for being appearing lazy and needing a motor.
Also if you join MTBA you get insurance for trail riding.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 22-05-2019
dbw Pro

No problem with Emtb and trail access. They are 'pedal assist', so you have to pedal and the motor will help. Anywhere a mtb can go, so can an emtb. They are not like a throttle bike where you twist and go with no pedaling. Also limited to 25kph, after that you have to pedal harder to go faster.
They are big bucks to buy but the maintenance is minimal. Far cheaper than running my TTR, and less time consuming.
Old 22-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Price comparison ebike vs pedal only.
https://www.99bikes.com.au/merida-eo...sy-blue-2019-1
https://www.99bikes.com.au/merida-on...t-black-2019-1
KTM 690r - gone
Old 22-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

I like the sounds of an ebike but I have some internal bug that prevents me from buying cheap stuff. the ebikes are bloody dear when not looking at the budget models. currently looking at specialized and haibike models
Old 23-05-2019
dbw Pro

Try Bikesales - can pickup a demo or second hand bike. Also look for end of season stuff - there is a new Kenevo due so shops are discounting and private sellers are updating.
Old 23-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Hey Pendo, I have been looking at these for a while and where I live are some very big hills so the question is how far can you really get on full assist as everyone says how good theses things are but no one seems to give a reasonable answer on how far they will go.

An example of where I am is that I have a hill where it goes from 145 above sea level to 700 asl and it does it in a distance of around 5k so it it a pretty steep pinch, (11% gradient dirt road!) I have a trek 29 hardtail and whilst I admit I am a little fat atm I can get about a third of the way up riding no stops, I know I can walk if need be but I want to ride it without having a heart attack! Would the specialized be capable of that and then have some left?
I rode a large frame Trek electric only on the flat and liked it but I seem to fit the Specialized (large frame stump jump was what I rode) a little better as I am 6'4.

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/gradie...-introduction/

Edit also how long for a full charge as I am on limited solar and would actually set up a charge station for it as I would not want to drag down my shed batteries (I already have a 500 watt solar panel set up for this)
Old 23-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max at the Flat View Post
I admit I am a little fat atm
You know your asking for it when you post things like that.....