dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

WP CC forks

Some of the suspension threads of late have got me thinking about getting a set of WP CC forks, spending some money on them and hanging on to them and installing onto future bikes. I have been working too much and riding too little and am getting bored so Iím thinking a couple of modifications to the bike while I donít have the time to ride it are in order.

I have a couple of questions to those in the know who are kind enough to share some knowledge.

1. Are there any year models forks that are better than others or any that should be avoided or are they all effectively the same?

2. What would be required to fit them to a 17 300 exc?

Thanks in advance DBW
Old 02-08-2018
"The Crack Of DOOM"

I can't answer your first question, but the forks should fit your 2017 KTM as-is. I have interchanged my brothers WP CC's off his 2012 Husaberg 570, my 4CS forks, and a set of OC forks on my bike without any need to change anything (brake calipers fit up perfectly too without any new hardware or modifications needed).

I dunno how much a new set of CC's will cost you, but if I remember correctly the last KTM that had them was the 2015 450SX-F motocrosser, so they probably won't be brand-new. If you can't find any, and you intend on keeping the forks for future bikes, then you might want to consider the Dal Soggio Sphere cartridges which are based on the WP CC carts, so use a bladder rather than a spring to pressurise the cart, but with better coatings and engineering quality than the WP CC's.

If you'd like to test fit a set of CC's to your bike to be sure, you are welcome to try mine out.
Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks for the reply. As for fitment I think I would at least need a new front wheel to accomodate the larger axle??? If everything else bolts straight up that would be a bonus.

Iíd be looking at getting a second hand set of forks (thatís why I asked about the different year models, is anything better than the other etc.) and rebuilding them, I think exotic coatings such as yours are also on the cards. If I canít ride it at the moment at least it will look fast sitting in the shed.

Thanks for the offer of a fit up with your forks. If I canít determine what if anything is required for CC fitment to a 17 exc I may well take you up on it.
Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

WP CC forks

You can run the bigger axle but need the older triple clamps (20mm) to compensate.
If you want to keep the small axle you can get new lowers for the forks but David at Suspension Matters told me they are unavailable at the moment.

The wheels and hubs are the same between small and large axle, just different spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Craigy; 02-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks for the good info Craigy. Even better if I donít need another front wheel, I think the go would be to change the lowers so I can keep my triples and axle.
Old 02-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I have a couple of questions to those in the know who are kind enough to share some knowledge.

1. Are there any year models forks that are better than others or:

2. ...any that should be avoided or:

3. ... are they all effectively the same?

4. What would be required to fit them to a 17 300 exc?

Thanks in advance DBW
1) Yes.
2) No
3) No
4) If the come with matching axle and collets, nothing.
Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Which year models are the ones to aim for, newer the better?

There is obviously limited choice on the second hand market so I may be forced to grab whatever I can that is in good condition.
Old 02-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Which year models are the ones to aim for, newer the better?

There is obviously limited choice on the second hand market so I may be forced to grab whatever I can that is in good condition.
p.m. 'Bluerider', he is probably the most knowledgable CC tuner on here. He can give you chapter and verse on the yearly upgrades to CCs. '14 300XC was the best of them IMO.
Old 02-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Ta, will do.
Old 03-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I bought a set of CC forks a couple of months ago, to replace Explore forks with the DS XP1 kit. Problem is that the modded Explore fork is too harsh on rocks and too soft at speed...worst of both worlds. I could have persisted and maybe got a good setting, but my 2017 300 is already at 115 hours and I will probably flick it at 200, so any time or $ invested in developing that fork would be lost soon.

So I made a decision to build a set of forks that I can keep for future KTM bikes. Forks have been a relatively common fit on KTM for a long time....? 15 years?

Best forks I have owned are KYB SSS on a 2011 YZ450F. My 2009 YZ450F was good too. They can be converted for KTM, whole forks or just internals, but there is some work involved.

I could have bought some WP OC forks and added Spheres...likely would also have been able to build a good setup. To be honest I was 95% happy with the OC's on my 2008 and 2010 300EXC that I modded myself....but it was also a question of achieving something better since the 2008 bike is a 10 year old story.

Ohlins inserts were also an option. Cone valves another, though I didn't want to sink that much cash into it.

4CS was out of the question unless the forks were cheap to accommodate Spheres or Ohlins.

First issue was to find a set of forks to mod. By chance, I came across some 2007 CC forks and I got them for the right price, so this set the scene.

I bolted them on and my initial impression was that they were miles better than the Explore forks. They were definitely harder than ideal but had awesome bottoming resistance, I could have left them as-is and been happier than I was with the Explores.

But I figured I should get them setup from scratch. Fundamental thing is to get the tubes moving as efficiently as possible so I went for KYB DLC lowers, Kashima uppers, and Kashima cartridge rod. Usual SKF kit for seals/wipers and new bushes.

It is now a matter of finding valving settings, spring rate and oil height that suit me. Forks just got back yesterday, will fit them up tomorrow night.

I have no idea if these are going to be great right away or ride like shit!.......the tuner doesn't have a crystal ball! But once I have found a good setup, then I have something I can take to the next bike. Long term cost of ownership should work out OK.

The larger diameter axle of the CC fork will decrease trail by about 2mm on the small axle bikes, which is a big negative in my opinion since most KTM's can use an increase of similar amount. I have 18/20mm SXS clamps, so the CC forks should work out OK for me with the clamps set at 18mm as opposed to the stock 22mm clamps.

I'll find out on the weekend.

The Rock Garden
The Jetting Test
The Sand Whoops
Log Training