dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Competition & Racing

Competition & Racing Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.jdjetting.com.au

Old 25-12-2014
dbw Pro Hero

The 2015 Dakar Thread

Thought we had better start one. We have a couple of Aussies/Kiwis heading over there to give it a shot this year.
advrider.com has a great thread but you need to be dedicated to follow it thoroughly.
So we can paste a few poignant updates here to keep up with the ones we are following.

I'll be following Despres in the cars this year.
But I'll also be following Pain in the official yamaha team.

Check the bikes out... the link is from mcnews.com.au - they have a great article about the bike on there.

They have a single fuel cell - it all looks very compact - love the look of it.

Aussies in Dakar

Toby Price #26
SULLIVAN-PAVEY LLEWELLYN #75
PAVEY SIMON #76
ACOBSEN CLAYTON #134

Kiwis in Dakar
BOUWKNEGT JAN ROELF #101 - this guy is JayBo on advrider (and here) and has a great build thread

Here's Toby's speil from the official site

?I heard about the Dakar back in 2002-2003. I was riding motocross at the time. Then I switched to enduro and desert racing. I really started being interested in the Dakar two years ago but it was hard to go for it. I was given the opportunity thanks to Orlen to go to the Morocco rally and it's an opportunity you can't refuse. Obviously the hardest part for me will be the navigation. 17 days of racing is also a hard task. I need to know the event. It's a learning task for the moment. I hope to be a Top 15 contender. I know I have the pace of guys like Coma. I know I can ride fast. But with the navigation, it gets crazy. It helped riding with Coma in Morocco and gave me more experience. I try to get as much info about the Dakar talking to riders but try not to be too annoying. I'm not too worried and I don't really know what to expect. I'll need to try and pace myself. No point crashing out after 2 or 3 days. The goal is to finish. If it's in the Top 20 or 15, I'd be pretty happy. Within the team, if I need to help that'll be the priority but I hope I can do my thing.?
Old 25-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Go pricey. He's easily got the pace, just needs to head the right direction each day and he would get it done I reckon. The bloke is a machine.
Old 25-12-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Excellent start Pete, Dakar always sneaks up on me. I keep an inconsistent eye on proceedings but enjoy it nonetheless. The ADV crew are the ducks guts in intensive coverage and the free TV coverage leaves me wanting more so I am interested in your take.
Old 25-12-2014
dbw Pro Hero

Wonder what the extra brake MC is on Pain's Yam..... maybe just extra fluid.

Wonder what the new Kato is like...

Here's the official team vid...

Old 26-12-2014
DBW Expert

Love It!!
Cant wait
Like my kids on christmas day
Gunna sit back and watch while drinking bundy and coke
ps my daughter made me put the smilies in
Old 26-12-2014
DBW Expert

Liked
Old 26-12-2014
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Wonder what the extra brake MC is on Pain's Yam..... maybe just extra fluid.

Wonder what the new Kato is like...

Here's the official team vid...

It`s a LHRB?

My first post, hey guys
Old 26-12-2014
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno_Ipswich View Post
It`s a LHRB?

My first post, hey guys
Welcome Johnno.

Take a close look - could be... can't find a pic of the LH bar.

Last edited by Pete40; 26-12-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 28-12-2014
dbw Pro

Thumbs up WR450 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
Go pricey. He's easily got the pace, just needs to head the right direction each day and he would get it done I reckon. The bloke is a machine.
First off - Go Pricey.good luck.
Given his good pace at the 6days he should be in a positive state of mind and ready to bury
the demons from past efforts.

The Yamaha Dakar factory special looks to be quite an advancement from the 2014 edition.
The rear sub frame is a one piece vacuum /pressure formed carbon fibre fuel cell.... plus other brackets/paraphanelia.
Press release from Yamaha states fuel capacity at 35 l.
Of interest - last year's dakar factory bike had 5 separate fuel tanks squirrelled on and around the bike including all the fuel lines, clamps, taps etc that had to be managed / bullet proofed - all in the heat of battle / desert adventure.
The factory team are a lot happier that they have done there homework to progress to what is a much more sensible design.
I couldn't believe it when I read that - yes there was 5 separate fuel storage points!
That must have been a real headache for the race technicians !
And yes the rider had to control switching on / off fuel taps from some / or all of those tanks.
The 2015 bike is reported as being 10 kgs lighter and the new bike tested as significantly faster. No Not from the lighter weight, nor the higher power output - this bike is norrower apparently and has a better aerodynamic shape / less drag - from that pronounced pointy
Cowling.

My fav part of the bike ??
As with most factory bikes - check the tyres out
The rear is a very 'low profile' centre knob tyre. Probably fitted up for pics / and transport stages on hard gravel roads.
The front tyre as per most factory bikes is see has the side knobs distributed further around / down the side wall to std proddy tyres you and I can buy.
Geez how I'd love to have 1/2 doz of those special front tyres land of a truck out front of my place on day !!
Old 28-12-2014
DBW Expert

Flying home from the Baja last month, we were on a flight with a couple of Adelaide lads who were working with Robby Gordon. They were saying that they were testing for the Dakar and will be flying over to crew for him there too. Some very switched on lads, now I hope Robby does well, although its more entertaining when he's not