dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Beta 2020 RR300 - first ride

Well, as a Beta fan-boi you can add your own chicken salt to this review.

Take away - it rides like an all-new platform while feeling comfortingly familiar.

Ergos - the seat/peg/Ďbar triangle sets the rider a little higher than past iterations of the RR. I love the new bar - wider & feels a tad lower. The bike feels heaps lighter moving it around the shed & when riding it, too. It is both racier & yet more comfortable when in standing attack. Seat is rock hard but who cares. Love the new wider pegs, too.

Suspension - I am 90kg aboard & my bike is bone stock (.42 & 5.2 f & r) and after taking it straight into some snotty stuff this afternoon, I was frankly blown away. The fork is simply superb - firm, yet soaks up small rocks really well. I got up the bike a bit, too, over off-camber rocks & there was no sign of the Sachs oc 48mm dreaded mid-stroke spike. Tracks straight, too. Shock was as expected - didnít think about it. The bike hooks up & drives & no nasty surprises. Front to back balance is terrific.

Motor - wow. My brother had a 2013 EC300 rebuilt by Nate that was a beast off the bottom. This motor feels most like a cross between that bike and an Ď18 EC300. Even sounds like a GG - which is awesome! Stock jetting is spot on - & thatís coming from a jetting fiddler. Clean & strong all the way. I am now a counter-balancer believer. Almost no vibes. Also the clutch pull is about 50% lighter than my Ď18. Not sure whatís changed, but itís a true one-finger job now. Gearing on paper is tall @ 14/48, but with all that torque, itís pretty much perfect for my riding.

Fit & finish is on-par with everybody else, ie tops. Brakes - superb.

Niggles - a bit of clutch fluid weeping from the m/c & I cannot for the life of me understand why a motorcycle manufacturer in business since 1904 cannot yet make a bike with a reliable speedo. Mine stopped working at 2km & 0.1hr. Warranty claim ahoy. Shithouse.

I am delighted with the bike so far & am glad I didnít splurge more on a Race. The 2020 RR300 is the best dirtbike Iíve ridden out of the box - including my 2018 Gas Gas EC250.

If you are in the market, get a leg over - you wonít be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1374B96-8643-4BDE-A4DF-05CBB97FFABF.jpg (106.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

You Beta and Gas Gas lovers are easily pleased eh?

Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Glad you enjoyed the review & thanks for your comment.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibnut View Post
Glad you enjoyed the review & thanks for your comment.
Mate I was having a lend. I have no intention of getting one. Sorry to butt in.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

bloody hell pete, you kato riders are all the same...

one of our guys has clocked up heaps of time on his 2020 and i think he'd agree with your summary gibnut.

but yeah the electrics are still sloppy. old mate says the wiring loom finally looks a lot neater but he had enough bad connections that it needed replacing under warranty.

and yeah the speedos aren't up to scratch, quite a few dealers have warranty claim speedos lying around. otherwise the 2020 seems to be a very neat package.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Gave the bike another decent hit out on Saturday arvo.

Issues - I holed the water pump hose after glancing the pipe off a rock & the pressure squashed the hose between the pipe & a too-sharp chunk of casting run-out on the top lip of the pump housing. Instant coolant dump in a fairly inhospitable section of my loop. Managed to get down to a creek, gaffa the hose up after pulling the pipe & filling the rads with river water.

The hose is made of cheese. Canít justify $230 () for a Samco* hose kit & I canít buy just the Samco elbow () so will cut a section off the split hose to reinforce the new $18 elbow. The clearance is hella tight there.

The speedo reset to zero - a common enough issue already with 2020ís. Ridiculous that a new plastic plate behind the headlight that is meant to secure the speedo cable in fact makes the plugs separate! Iím not even sure if this causes the speedo to reset, but I re-routed plugs behind this plate & so far, speedo is working. If it zeroís again - hello, warranty replacement.

Apart from these glitches - one caused by operator error - the bike is simply awesome. Much comfier to ride at speed than my Ď18 yet great handling in tighter terrain. The bone-stock motor/jetting/clutch/gearbox nexus is bloody tops!

The povo Sachs oc 48mm fork is a huge leap over my Ď18, too. Itís great, tbh. Havenít checked the clickers, race sag (static set by dealer), fork pre-load, nothing - fuel & ride. Iím 90kegs onboard - 0.42 & 5.2 f & r respectively. Yee-ha!

* If you need just straight lengths of Samco hose, Williamsraceservices.com.au sell them online..
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I can just see you grinning like a Cheshire Cat Gibbo! 👍
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
I can just see you grinning like a Cheshire Cat Gibbo! 👍
Bring your boots & helmet anytime, mate - youíd love the 35km G Special Test loop.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

The speedo is working normally - 40km damp & muddy ride yesterday plus a couple offs (new bike scratched now..) didnít faze it.

Hope it continues!

Btw, the plusher fork definitely helped soak up the rocks at the G & I couldnít normally do 5.5hrs out there without being totally knackered.