dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Kawasaki Forum

Kawasaki Forum For the Green Machines

Old 20-11-2017
DBW Dweller

New Dirtbike Advice

Hello Everyone,

So i am looking to buy a new bike to upgrade from my yz250 1997 2 stroke. Its an amazing bike, but i thinks its time to upgrade because it has too many things that need fixing.

I have been thinking of buying a Kawasaki KX450f ?.

There is one i saw which is 2013 model(first year upgraded model), it has 90 hours, the guy has only changed the piston and valves at 70 hours and says he regularly changes oil and cleans filter.

The price he was asking is $4.5 and i was able to settle at 4.2k with him.

I Have never purchased a 4 stroke and i have never riden a newer bike ao dont know what to expect in terms of suspension and motor.

Some people on other forums are complaining the kx450 2013 model has issues with the air forks, while others arent having issues at all.

My question is: Do you think it is ok to purchase a 5 year old 4 stroke with 90 hours for 4.2 k that may potentially need a rebuild..Or is there a better bike out there for 4k that is a more reliable option.

Although i know if i buy this bike, i am going to get it serviced and have a top end rebuild done asap.

I have a test drive booked for tommorow night, so hopefully i can get some advice from professionals .

Also would you say 90 hours is too much for a four stroke?

Thanks

Dennis
Old 20-11-2017
DBW Dweller

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/d...15&pss=Premium

This is the link to the dirtbike.

Thx
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Legend

90hrs is nothing for trail bikes,different story for MX bikes though,at 90hrs he could be selling it before it goes bang depending on how hard it's been ridden or maintenance or lack of,looks to be well looked after but looks can deceive.Are you intending to trail ride or ride MX? If you are only trail riding I think there are better choices out there with more favourable maintenance intervals than MX bikes,if you want it for mx then it becomes harder as these bikes are generally ridden pretty hard on the limiter.
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Are you sure the 13's had airforks?
I'm sure they came in on 2016 and later kx450's.
Old 21-11-2017
DBW Dweller

Thank you for the replies.

I intend to use it for trail riding in the state forest , no where near racing.

The airforks were released in 2013 and kx was the first bike to have them

I think i might hold off feom buying this bike and look for a newer 250 or a 450 with less hours?

Are there any bikes anyone can recommend?.

My budget is 4500-5000 and i want it purely for recreational trail riding.

Thanks
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Champion

You haven't said this yet Enis.ibrahim: Yet I've surmised you're in Victoria & thus can utilise rec-rego.
2T's are cheaper to rebuild, cheaper to buy & cheaper to service.. Modern 2T's do perform quite well.

Imo: You should head out bush & bludge a ride on some bloke's 2T 300.
That may enlighten you towards your goals: As-If you'd like one or not.

Personally speaking, having owned 10+ bikes myself... If I had a means of transport... I'd want a 300cc 2T with 6 gears.
Don't necessarily discount Beta or Sherco imo: They could well work out in your favour given you won it at a good price.

Edit: Three of those 10+ were whilst I was an adolescent.
For full disclosure I've deemed it appropriate to mention it.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Champion

A good S/Hand WR450 Yammie would be a better option or 250. Pretty bulletproof bikes for trail riding. S/Hand MX bikes? like trail bikes, depends who owned it. some racers look after their bikes far better than the average Joe. I know I do!! Not that I race nowdays. Check with your mates if any are upgrading. Might be an option there, and you would know how they look after bikes. Take your time, its a buyers market out there. PM me if you want to sell the YZ. Might b interested depending on price and what it needs. Got one in the shed now!!

2016 Beta 300 RR, 2013 KTM500 EXC, !
Plus all this vintage stuff!!!!!!
72 Husky 400, 73 Husky 250, 77 RM 370x2 77 Honda CR 125, 79 Honda CR125, XR 75, 79 XL500 Honda hybird, 86 Suzuki TSX 250, 82 Honda CR480,83 CR250, 83 YZ 490, 77 Honda 750/4, 77 Maico 400 84 KDX 200/ 250, 90 KDX200
Old 22-11-2017
DBW Dweller

Hi,

Thank you for the replies.

Your all right , i think i might take my time and look around rather than rushing into buying a used mx bike.

Id rather spend that little extra at the start and get something newer with less hours/kms to avoid more expensive repair cost at the end.

What i need to do is establish whether i want an enduro or mx.

I will mainly be riding out bush, following all the tracks and posaible some muddy crossings.

There is a wr450f i was looking at, but they are hella expenaive still.Peter stevens has one used for sale however they are asking 6.5k and it has 20k kms on it.

I might wait till that wr450f or probably end up buying a 250 2 stroke again.

My mate has a 300 ktm 2 stroke, however i never really liked it.

250 or 450 for me.

Thanks once again.

Dennis
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Yes sorry,i was thinking about the complicated 3 different valve airforks.
Old 21-11-2017
dbw Pro Legend

There are only 2 ways to purchase a second hand bike.
It either has bugger all hours on it and it is in as new condition. Or it costs 500 bucks and you fix it up.
That's the advice I always give people, and when they pay top dollar (like 4.2k for a 5 year old mx bike) and then spend another 2k fixing it up, all you can do is shake your head.