dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroRider View Post

We are aware that the longer term crash data outcome will be complicated by the fact that Neerim East is currently so heavily used that the crash numbers may actually go up if more people come to ride any endorsed single-track. Ideally I would like to have seen this trialled somewhere else where it had more chance of success, but the crash numbers were so high at Neerim that VicRoads felt we should do it there.

I like the idea behind this now that you have explained it a bit more from the safety aspect.

It would be good if we could see more info on the accident stats for places like neerim. I'd hazard a guess in saying the "feral" factor would be high there like disappointment and wombat.

How many of these injuries are unlicensed/unrego riders? These types are generally the Carpark heros flying around the faster tracks who have little interest in single.
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

I'm glad you are on board Roger,
I saw this vid the other day :

Maybe the idea works here??
I have ridden in Neerim but the amount of flogged track was a big put off, it was like every numpty had been stuck in every hole an roosted their way out.
I couldn't help thinking that closing most of gembrook must have added lots of extra traffic.
However a seventy kilometre easy fun scenic one way loop would be a winner in the Neerim district,. Lots of new riders could have a great day out without mixing with other traffic.
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

This actually exists near me here in Queensland, Gheerulla trail bike area,
seems to work well.
Trail bikes only.
Not many people I know ride it much though ,everyone has different tastes in riding and like variety.
But as a model it works well, the one way thing you just cannot trust though, they tried but I would never trust it.
Old 06-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Great initiative IMO, if you can direct traffic and reduce the interactions between various vehicles you'll reduce injuries for sure. I think the one aim would be to form the trails to be unidirectional. Linking up various parking facilities to keep people flowing in the right direction, together. That would be ideal.
Old 06-04-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
I like the idea behind this now that you have explained it a bit more from the safety aspect.

It would be good if we could see more info on the accident stats for places like neerim. I'd hazard a guess in saying the "feral" factor would be high there like disappointment and wombat.

How many of these injuries are unlicensed/unrego riders? These types are generally the Carpark heros flying around the faster tracks who have little interest in single.
Pretty much all of the recorded crashes are licensed riders on registered bikes. They have lodged a crash report at a police station in order to get TAC cover. The unriders typically do not report their crashes for fear of prosecution. Hospital presentations for motorcycle related injuries are about 260% of the police/VicRoads crash records, so a lot of crashes go unrecorded.

I have noted a similar concern to yours in our project risk assessment, ie are the riders who are actually having the serious crashes going to adopt the more technically demanding, slower riding style required for riding tight single-track? This kind of riding requires more skill and may not appeal to the cohort of crash ready riders.

So, we may get a good network of single-track, but maybe it will just appeal to the riders who aren't currently crashing anyway. If that happens we've got a good outcome for the safer riders (better tracks to ride) but made no difference in reducing crashes. And that's why this is a pilot project.

Personally, I'd really like to know which group of riders is most likely to have serious crash injuries (we currently don't classify casualties in this way). Is it the older, steady rider (not a risk taker, but maybe gets a worse injury in a crash than a young, fit rider), the fit, skilled, fast rider (who maybe doesn't crash very often but when they do they do it at high speed), is it the inexperienced, novice rider (lacks dirt-bike training, follows mates who go too fast, makes a mistake and gets unlucky), is it irresponsible (your "feral") riders (drugs, alcohol, lacking protective gear, ride stupid, showing off). We don't actually know which group the crash casualties fall into, because we get 50 year old novices, and riders who have had a licence for 30 years but have almost zero riding experience, and the fast, skillful riders can be any age at all.

Roger Pitt
Trail Bike Project Manager
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Old 06-04-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroRider View Post
Hospital presentations for motorcycle related injuries are about 260% of the police/VicRoads crash records, so a lot of crashes go unrecorded.
Hi Roger,
You have to keep in mind the private land/farm/MX track crashes for the above statistic.
You don't need to be licensed to crash on your own/friend's private property
Old 07-04-2017
dbw Pro

Yes, that's right, there are other places to ride legally without a licence and registration. DHHS records crash location when people go to emergency department, but there's no way of knowing how accurate that info is and the hospital is quite rightly more concerned with treating the patient.

Actually, lots of the patient records do not have any entry in the field for crash location - a few years ago it was running at 42% blank, so data quality is not very good.

Roger Pitt
Trail Bike Project Manager
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Old 07-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

VicRoads survey - making single track legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy View Post
I'm glad you are on board Roger,

I saw this vid the other day :

Maybe the idea works here??

I see no reason why this couldn't work in Australia too. Here's another great video showing how single tracks are legal and well maintained in North America. https://youtu.be/CfVgMANjYlw
How great would it be if the same policy was adopted by our state governments and local clubs.
Old 07-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Inspirational ! I would go to Oregon just for that.
Thanks for posting up that one devans.
Old 07-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy View Post

Inspirational ! I would go to Oregon just for that.
Thanks for posting up that one devans.
DBW tour to Oregon?