dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 25-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLieu View Post
I'm in the same boat - been battling depression for about 20 years. i find when i focus on positive stuff and keep motivated - get on the gym at home and of course either jump on the roadie or dirtie i keep the depression at bay....
glad you, brugger and interloper are still here and battling on, mrlieu.

i think johnno made a good point that it's rare for just one strategy to be the cure all, but it's often a combination of things. on youtube guys have been saying their fixes included medication, interval training, moving to a sunnier climate, counselling and of course riding dirt bikes.

i know my few bouts of garden variety of depression are nothing like serious clinical depression. e.g. apparently in very serious cases people don't even have the motivation or energy to commit suicide, and the danger is if and when medication starts to help there's a dangerous point where they have recovered enough to actually commit suicide.

that sort of experience must be hell on earth.
Old 25-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Yes so maybe KTM, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Sherco .... etc are a sort of drug company. Fighting depression along side

Gilead Sciences. Revenue (2014): $24.5 billion. ...
AstraZeneca. Revenue (2014): $26.09 billion. ...
GlaxoSmithKline. Revenue (2014): $34.65 billion. ...
Sanofi S.A. Revenue (2014): $36.73 billion. ...
Merck & Co. ...
Bayer. ...
Roche Holding AG. ...
Pfizer

Old 26-04-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Dirt bikes are such an effective treatment for depression they should be subsidised by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

(Says he while lying flat on his back courtesy of a surprise creek discovered at full noise while goat mustering on a mates station last Friday. Creek 1, Tractorman 0.)
Old 27-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
glad you, brugger and interloper are still here and battling on, mrlieu.

i think johnno made a good point that it's rare for just one strategy to be the cure all, but it's often a combination of things. on youtube guys have been saying their fixes included medication, interval training, moving to a sunnier climate, counselling and of course riding dirt bikes.

i know my few bouts of garden variety of depression are nothing like serious clinical depression. e.g. apparently in very serious cases people don't even have the motivation or energy to commit suicide, and the danger is if and when medication starts to help there's a dangerous point where they have recovered enough to actually commit suicide.

that sort of experience must be hell on earth.
Cheers mr bergman. I'm glad to be here with those guys too

Taking medication isn't ideal but I don't know if I could survive without it. For several months my life was hell because the one I was taking stopped working and/or I went through some traumatic events.

Now I'm on new meds, my outlook is so much more positive and enthusiasm for many things has come back. This is so important because when you get really low, there's no motivation to do all the things that help you naturally, like exercise and riding/other sports etc. so getting something to kick start the process and free you from the vicious cycle is necessary sometimes. I would force myself to do things but most of the time I couldn't do it.
Old 27-04-2017
DBW Clubman

An interesting development is when the depression you've just trudged through for a few decades goes to another level.

The black dog that sits beside you is one analogy, another is this ****** in your head who wants to shit on everything you do. He's good at it too, no matter what positive train of thought you come up with, he can twist it into negativity.

It's too hard, yeah you can put that off, oh you have and now it's all too much isn't it.

I'll go riding, yeah but you need to do the filter and chain and pack all the gear, wash the bike when you get home. Just sit here it's easier.

Then you ride less. next thing your skill level starts to atrophy and it gets easier to not go riding because you suck. You get fat, slack off the exercise and next thing the one thing you really enjoy is poison.

And it's a win for the ****** in your head.

If you think elements of that apply to your personal experience go see ya doctor and get referred to a psychologist. It'll cost you, but you get a chunk of it back. If you're broke there is Govt. help apparently.

Keep at it, most of them are good, but find a good one and stick with it.

Medication is an option, it could be for a period of time like anything else a doctor prescribes, usually it is, but it might not.

The best thing about it is learning the mechanics of it, why your brain is standing on your balls stopping you from leading a decent life. It appeals to jokers like us.

I think that helps the most.
Old 27-04-2017
dbw Pro

Some good advice there Johnno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Just to be clear, I am by no means recommending the following.

It is however a very interesting read, the theory treating depression through "shock treatment" via chemical means.
The mechanism itself does make sense. The idea is that with depression the brain has defaulted to negative pathways, which if then continues to use in most decision making.

The "treatment" if you can call it that is said to open new pathways, so rebooting your thinking. Would be great if some proper clinical trials were done as the success rate in the small numbers, seems very promising:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...herapy/8452814

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 28-09-2017
dbw Pro Legend

hey guys, there have been so many great points made by riders who have commented on the video i thought i'd put some into a follow up vid. this hasn't been made public yet so if you'd prefer your comments didn't appear then just let me know.

Old 28-09-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Good stuff Mr B.
Old 17-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

bump. when i started this thread i completely forgot about this old vid i posted about the pursuit of happiness...