dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro
Yz450fx stopped

2016 Yz450fx last ride of the year in Nov last year, have a little off on an off camber turn. Lose the back end and step of the bike, reasonably low speed didnít even fall over.
The stator side case(LH) hit a rock and put a decent scratch/gouge on the case right next to the large inspection cap.
Bike was little difficult to start and I thought I could hear something rubbing, 3hours later bike stops with no electrical power, battery flat.

Get the bike home and charge the battery, bike starts and runs ok, no charge to the battery. Pull the stator side case off and discover that the flywheel or rotor is rubbing on the stator and caused the stator to open circuit on about 3 coils.

Purchase a new side cover, stator and caps etc and checked the rotor the magnets in the rotor.
As it turns out I didnít check all the magnets and that resulted in the battery still not charging after replacing the stator and case. Replaced the rotor and all good now.

Thatís approximately (rotor $434, stator $403 & case $155) $1000 worth of parts for a pretty non event stack. I ended up getting the parts from the USA for about %60 of the Aust prices delivered.

I run the std bash plate but will investigate a better side protection one.

Thought I would share. Expensive little exercise.
KTM 300 XC 2014
Yam YZ450FX 2016
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend
I had a 2011 YZ450F and also holed an engine cover with minimal trauma. The gear lever was pushed in and punched the hole. I wasn't expecting a problem, was just wondering why my boot was wet and not drying! Nearly had a heart attack when I realised it was engine oil but I had lost less than half and had not further problems. Agreed the replacement cover was expensive.

Does the X get sealed wheel bearings?
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.
One thing i've learnt about the bike and the body is you can't protect everything unless you ride inside a giant peice bubble wrap. I've even had my carby speared off the manifold.

Good to hear you're up and running again :-)
All I ever wanted was a spamburger.