dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 13-03-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Congrats with you & your Son's new bike goose202... It's a very good choice for your ambitions & requirements I'd reckon.
No need/requirement for the fancy Platinum or Iridium plugs imo. Any NGK of the correct type & heat range will suffice imo.

I'm not familiar with that/your bike nor those/your forks; yet if they each have their own air-bleed screw:
You could try letting the bike sag under it's own weight & then relieving/setting that-as zero air pressure.

Raising forks ~ 8mm in the clamps will aid quicker steering (feel lighter) & lower seat-height by half of that ie 4mm.
Just be wary of tank-slapping at higher speeds: Finding a happy medium is the key: Yoose will surely get it sussed.
__________________________________________________ ____

With regards to riding sand: You'd need to "float" the front wheel:
So maybe my idea of raising the forks may be counter-productive.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 13-03-2018
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

That'd be an iridium plug?

Biggest pitfall of the 08 was the rigid/harsh front end. I think it's mostly the frame design around the head stem. I bolted my plush 250x forks straight onto it and the feeling remained. You can improve it a bit with a little lighter valving though.

Rode mine back to back with a KTM380 once. Ktm felt lighter because it didn't have cams (gyro effect) even though technically heavier and bigger capacity (4t v 2t thing).

The 08 is a great example of how the pumper carb gave the illusion of power... once they bought in FI most of the 250's lost all their engine personality until Yamaha redefined things.

Well done though, great bike and great to hear to likes it.
Old 13-03-2018
dbw Pro

I wasn't able to find a non-iridium plug for it. Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough. Usually I just change out plug and fluids in as a matter of course on a bike I don't know all the history of.

I'll be interested to ride it elsewhere other than fast sand. I suspect it might all be a bit different in tighter trails.
It also might be a very different question on the supercross track. But that kind of silly riding will mean certain death for me, so I'll leave it alone.
It certainly encourages a different riding style of smoothness and carrying pace through the corner, rather than the setup for blast out style that I tend to enjoy on the more powerful bikes.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Raising the forks is generally counter-productive in sand as you want the longest wheelbase you can get to stabilise the bike through the roughness that sand tracks bring. You don't need a sharp turning bike in sand.

Great choice, the Honda 250's were a solid package, especially with the valves replaced. I have a mate with an '07 and my brother has the '09 with a set of ackro's, which were a great addition for power. Aside from valves my brothers counter balance shaft bearings went but I think they were the only mechanical issues that they had on them. I remember the clutches being so light on the honda's, which made them great in single track.

They are also very fussy on fuel. If you let them sit for too long they will be hard to start and run pretty rough, just drain the fuel bowl and they clear right up.

With the forks, you will need to revalve, it's just what needs to be done.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro

I've checked the valve clearance on this one and they are all within spec at least for now.
Initially (ie in the shed and backyard) it seemed a bit touchy on starting. Flooded easily. Now it's had a good run and fresh fuel it seems a pretty easy starter, hot or cold. So I think you are spot on with your old fuel comment. It hadn't been used in the last two years according to the previous owner.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

The 08/09 was a difficult starter compared to prev years.. alot of people were filing off some of the auto decomp pin (I gave it a try, helped a bit).. but I think it's just a cam timing side effect. Fresh fuel is obviously good, run a octane level that works best (doesn't need to be 98 for 13.1 comp ratio). I think it was mostly when it was hot ? dont be affraid to gve the hot start lever a tug or have the throttle open just a tiny tiny fraction.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro

Just checked the oil again - seemed to use a lot.
Was at the full mark previously. Wasn't on the dipstick after about 2-2.5 hours riding.
It's not blowing any smoke, no other evidence of oil consumption.
It's not going into the gearbox.
Maybe I didn't check it right. As per the manual - let it run for a couple of minutes, let it sit for a moment, then dip without screwing the dipstick in.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Goose202. Arenít you meant to let it rest for a few minutes before checking the oil? Just a thought
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Pro

Yeah. Run for 3 minutes, then sit for 3 minutes, according to the manual. That's what I thought I did...

The internets suggest oil consumption isn't uncommon for them. Lucky break for me though - another couple hours ride time and we might have had things go bad.
Old 14-03-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Can't see any leaks underneath the motor or behind a bash plate or out the sump bolt? In case it's had a knock in the past which cracked something?

Was it full when you first got it or did not much drain out?