dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 20-01-2015
dbw Factory Pro

My mates yz broke its keyway so fly wheel was spinning on the crank
No spark
Old 20-01-2015
DBW Dweller

Checked the grounds, actually didn't find any ground wires to the engine or frame. But I did have continuity between motor and frame. Have most of the wiring harness stripped apart looking for breaks, nothing so far..

Thanks for the key way idea also. Unfortunately no I made a flywheel holder yesterday, got the nut off but was unable to pop the flywheel off.

Gonna talk to a Yamaha dealer up the Coast today, the bike might be headed his way.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how it goes.
Old 20-09-2015
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABRADOR Coaster View Post
Checked the grounds, actually didn't find any ground wires to the engine or frame. But I did have continuity between motor and frame. Have most of the wiring harness stripped apart looking for breaks, nothing so far..

Thanks for the key way idea also. Unfortunately no I made a flywheel holder yesterday, got the nut off but was unable to pop the flywheel off.

Gonna talk to a Yamaha dealer up the Coast today, the bike might be headed his way.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how it goes.
Hey Gentlemen,

wAnted to give you a quick update on the YZ. After almost sending her to the Yamaha dealer that declared Bankruptcy the week later I sent the bike by ship up the coast to a HARLEY/HONDA dealer in April. After a number of months the finally tracked down the problem to the CDI unit. 365$ later for the CDI and a surprisingly low labour of 150$ plus 300$ or so shipping I got the bike back. Took her to the beach, started first kick every time, Had a blast for 5-6 hours during the week then one day after an hour run she stopped! Got her running again after some kickin. A week later I changed the plug but not a gig... Brought her back home to the Garage, a few day later I gave her a halfhearted kick and there was spark. put the plug back in and she has started first kick every time, every day this week. Very strange. I had left the bike outdoors for that period, thought that these bike would be water resistant, perhaps not? anyhow putting her aboard the boat tomorrow and heading back to the beach hut. Will keep her covered this time and hope for the best.

Anyhow just wanted to let you know what happen. I appreciate very much the advice I received from the group.
Old 20-07-2017
DBW Dweller

Found something...

A quick update with my electrical problem. Even with changing my CDI unit, the spark problem continued. Finally found the problem in the junction plug connecting the wiring harness to the stator. Seems like the pins inside the plug were not making a good connection. Twisted them a bit, wrapped the plug up real tight with waterproof stuff and she been starting first kick ever since. Just wanted to pass that on to not take those plugs for granted...