dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 05-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivisibility View Post
We paid less than $250 for a genuine stator from Ipswich yamaha a few years back for the Sons YZ125.
As NP said mostly for in my experience it's been burnt/perished insulation in the coil/windy bits on stator plates.
Used to get a handy dandy bikecentric local auto leccy to fix them for SFA, but he made lotsa money, got semi-rich, went racing and then retired, still youngish, all from being a good honest tradesperson in a regional area...go figure how that happened?
he must of been a good business man and had a shit load of blokes working for him.
Old 09-06-2018
dbw Pro

Successful arvo in the shed today.

Having traced this to some sort of stator problem, being too tight to take it to a shop (and none conveniently close enough or open when I'm home) I ordered a flywheel puller last weekend and hedged my bets by also getting a second hand stator at a good price

Been travelling all week for work so was happy to everything in the post when I got home

I don't have one of those fancy flywheel holders but just assumed I could work something out but how wrong I was. After trying heaps of ways to hold the flywheel (nut was bloody tight) using those two little holes - none of which I'll mention here - I turned back to Google, remembering someone, maybe Nutty, said you don't need a holder

So I discovered the rope trick :-). Never have I heard about this before, but thankfully a few inches of rope fed down the spark plug hole was enough to safely hold the piston firm enough against the head for me to crack the flywheel nut.

Happy days.

All tests worked on the replacement stator so in it went, everything else reassembled and she fired up within a few kicks :-)

I'll spend some time on my old stator when I have a rainy day in the shed, but it visually looks ok and right now I'm stoked to have the bike going, as is my daughter.

Thanks for everyone's help here, I've learnt a little and now have a runner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2018
dbw Pro

Well that was short lived

Bike started and ran fine in the shed. Drove 2 hours for a ride, bike started straight away and stopped within about 10sec as soon as a bit of throttle was applied

Stuffed around with plugs and such and realised there was no spark again. Check all connections and then thought I may as well pull the stator cover off, only to see the bottom of it full of sheared/broken ceramic (or whatever it is that insulates the terminals)

Now I could have just stuffed something up on the install, but could there be electric issues elsewhere that would cause 2 stators to fail?

Old 10-06-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
This sounds like an insulation failure to ground.

In 95% of failed armature windings the insulation has failed, not the copper.

I think this now sounds correct. Not that it ever didn't.
Old 10-06-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMXhammy View Post
...Now I could have just stuffed something up on the install, but could there be electric issues elsewhere that would cause 2 stators to fail?
Could be a loose rotor walking off centre and taking out the CAS. Usually broken insulation is from the CAS, not the armature winding.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 12-06-2018
dbw Pro

What he said

Surely you know a Sparkie who could test the armature coils I.R., also check the field magnet is still in the rotor, if it flies off the whole show shuts down.[/QUOTE]
Old 24-06-2018
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMXhammy View Post
Well that was short lived

Now I could have just stuffed something up on the install...

Yup

That's half an Allen key in there inside the flywheel. Embarrassingly I broke the Allen key trying to undo the flywheel before I discovered the rope trick (don't ask...) and didn't see this bit inside in my poorly lit workspace

Needless to say it caused some damage when the bike was spun up

One of the stupidest things I've done in a while

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9463.jpg (38.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 26-06-2018
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by havin' fun View Post
What he said

Surely you know a Sparkie who could test the armature coils I.R., also check the field magnet is still in the rotor, if it flies off the whole show shuts down.
[/QUOTE]

Heaps of plumbers, chippies and what not, but no sparkies I'm afraid. Would've been bloody handy

Given that I have to pay retail prices to get this tested +postage + time, I've ordered an aftermarket unit