dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 13-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Review: Klaus Mueller's Australian Trail Tours in the high country

At first I looking forward to this five day tour of the high country with Klaus Mueller from Australian Trail Tours. But then I read all the negative feedback on this DBW thread.

Injured riders being forced to continue riding. No EPIRB or support vehicle to rescue injured riders. Broken down bikes left behind for owners to rescue later. Riders being yelled at or having things thrown at them. It was shaping up to be a very different trip to the norm!

THE POSITIVES
Thankfully there are a few good points though with Australian Trail Tours. The lack of support vehicles and fewer support staff means these tours are cheaper. The accommodation was good quality, so was the food. Also Klaus Mueller did not yell or throw food at anyone on this trip. A few guys said at 76 years old Klaus is more relaxed now. And the fact remains there are guys who go back again. About half the guys in our group rated it as a positive experience and a few of those guys had even done multiple trips with him.

THE NOT SO GOOD
The negative parts of the high country trip with Klaus Mueller? The lack of support is still true. There was a car that took our luggage to the next stop but no backup four wheel drive. Klaus said hurt riders would be doubled out of the forest by another rider. We assumed a badly injured rider would just become the responsibility of the SES. No EPIRB or any communication devices so we figured it could take a while if needing to ride far enough to get phone reception to contact emergency services.

Many of us were expecting a dirt ride with Australian Trail Tours, but we mostly stayed on easy fire trails and never did any of the reportedly amazing single track throughout the high country. And some days featured a lot of road too. One day we did 140km of highway with a lot of disgruntled dirt riders wearing their knobbies out.

Probably the most interesting part of Australian Trail Tours was having our bikes dragged down the road by Klaus! Each night in the high country we locked our bikes to Klaus' trailer, but on the fourth day he forgot and dragged them an unknown distance when driving to the petrol station. Total damage came to $2900 in replacement parts but Klaus Mueller said it wasn't his responsibility. After a few, er, discussions, he did give the other rider a $200 goodwill gesture at the end of the trip. The other rider was not happy with this and after several months of correspondence and legal pressure Klaus finally gave him a further $470 toward the repairs.

I had to give my loan bike back damaged and the owner absolutely refused to accept any money from me for repairs. It certainly livened up the trip but it remains to be seen if this bike dragging will become a regular feature of the high country tours. To read the full story and other complications it's all on the Dirtriderz forum here.

CONCLUSION
If you are looking for a budget tour of the high country then Klaus Mueller's Australian Trail Tours do provide this option and the accommodation is excellent. Just don't get injured, and make sure your bike doesn't break down as you'll have to rescue it yourself!

Otherwise find one of the excellent fully supported tours which also do the excellent single tracks that Klaus avoids. And of course there are plenty of maps and GPS files for the high country, it's quite easy to tee up your own ride and do it far cheaper. If you are thinking of doing any tour, I'd suggest going through this checklist first!
Old 13-06-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Interesting
Thanks for posting
Old 13-06-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Not having an EPIRB and/or a sat phone is laughable in this day and age.

An EPRIB is a great addition for the average trailrider, let alone a bloody tour operator.

What a knob.
Old 13-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Sounds Great

08 WR450F

www.dingodirtworx.com.au
Old 13-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
What a knob.
Precise sumary
Old 14-06-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Sounds like a busted arse show to me. No back up vehicle, sat phone or EPIRP is totally unacceptable and not paying for damage to bike due totally to his fault is just a joke. I'd never go on his tour after reading that.

R.I.P Ronnie Neill 2/12/62 - 31/1/09

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC, 2004 Honda XR650R, 2013 KTM 300 EXC, 2012 Sherco 250 Trials, 2003 Postie,
Past Bikes
DRZ 400 E, KTM 950 ADV, DR650, XR600, XR500 X 2, WR250F, Suzi RM125S, Suzi RM400, 77 RM250B, Yam TY250, Honda TL250, Honda TL125, Beta 250,Yam RT1 360 about 3, Yam DT125A, Jawa 500 Speedway, Yam IT175, Honda QA50, Suzuki PE 250 T, Honda 400 4 (roadie), Plus a few I've forgotten, or would rather forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
In fact I think if it wasn't for the guys that were faster than us we would have won.
Old 14-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Wow, what an arse.
Old 15-06-2018
dbw Pro Hero

You blokes have all got it too good

Talk about a pack of whining nancy-boys. Harden up fellas. Klaus sounds grouse. Although I am glad it wasn't my bike he dragged along. Might have had a word with the old fella.

Youse will all be lucky if you're still riding at 76 yrs old.
Old 15-06-2018
Sherco Flying Circus

I ve only ever heard good things about his tours

But really surprised he is aloud to operate and insurance covers him without Sat phone or back up

Mal

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/

R.I.P Booma

Verbier My Fav destination

Club Mud#83

1975 XR75 First bike
1988 Husky AE430
2002 VOR 530
2006 Gas Gas 450 FSE
2007 Honda Fireblade 1000RR
2007 Sherco 4.5 Race Replica
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer