dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop

The Workshop Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 18-05-2018
DBW Clubman

2017 wr450

I've just upgraded to a 2017 WR450 from a 2012. Are there any mods that you guys recommend? I've read about people doing an airbox mod and throttle stop mod, but someone mentioned that the Australian bikes don't need this?

I'm 6'4" so thinking bar risers with bars positioned in forward holes on the triples, already have bash plate, rad gaurds, hand gaurds and power tuner.

Thanks
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Factory Pro

They come fitted with a noise reducer / air restrictor under the air filter cage; the off-road kit has a YZ cage with out this restrictor. See if yours has been removed. You can even remove the foam padding under the air intake shroud for some extra power, but more intake noise.
YZ muffler insert if the pipe is std. Removing the spark arrestor doesn't do too much.
Depending on where / how you ride; a 14/50 gearing helps smooth the bottom out a bit.
There is actually 4 handle bar positions; the two holes in the triple clamp & turning the bar clamps around in each position. These are -10mm; std; +16.5mm; +26.5mm.
You don't need to do much with the suspension, other than get the correct spring rate for your weight. Keep the SAG as close to 100mm as possible, with the fork tubes (not the nut) 4 to 5mm above the top triple clamp.
See how you go with the std seat; GYTR have a high seat.
Radiator braces would be high up on the essential list of accessories.
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Tail piece

Off road tail piece bracket takes off some weight.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...50f+tail+piecs
Old 19-05-2018
DBW Clubman

Thanks guys! I've attached some photos, fairly sure I have the radiator bracing and yz filter cage. Can anyone tell me from the photos if the yz insert is on muffler?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Factory Pro

AIR FILTER CAGES.jpg

Restrictor is under the Filter Cage & fits into the intake, you need to look through the gauze to notice it.

TAIL PIECE.jpg

Underside of Tail piece bracket without heavy, steel fixing arms/brackets.

YZ MUFFLER INSERT.jpg

YZ muffler insert, muffler end cap removed to view.
Old 21-05-2018
DBW Clubman

OK, thanks for the photos. Makes sense now!I'll check the air filter and muffler tonight.

Took the bike out to Zig Zag for it's first ride. First thing I noticed was the noise from the airbox! It's surprisingly loud! Bike felt good, not sure if it has a different tune than my 12 but the top end felt much stronger! Very happy with the bike so far!!
Old 21-05-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRF'd View Post
OK, thanks for the photos. Makes sense now!I'll check the air filter and muffler tonight.

Took the bike out to Zig Zag for it's first ride. First thing I noticed was the noise from the airbox! It's surprisingly loud! Bike felt good, not sure if it has a different tune than my 12 but the top end felt much stronger! Very happy with the bike so far!!

Nice bike mate . Put an after market pipe on it . You won’t here the airbox anymore