dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2018
Dan#40's Avatar
Dan#40 Dan#40 is offline
dbw EnduroX Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out Riding
Posts: 2,641
Gasgas Lighting problem

Hey guys , im having trouble with the lights on my 13 Gasgas ec300 . Mine is the race model with out a battery . When the bike is running it looks like the lights dont work at all but when you take a real close look the headlight globe has a slight glow . The dash light wont work nor will the lights for the controls . Does anyone know anything about this system or know anyone who does ? Any help would be great ..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2018
Nutty's Avatar
Nutty Nutty is offline
The "One" and only
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shoalhaven NSW
Posts: 11,781
Might be worth putting your actual location in your sig Dan. If you were close I'd fix it for free...

Either you have shorted turns in your armature, a bad connection, the rec reg has failed or there is a massive load on the system causing an increased voltage drop. Check all four...
__________________
"Ain't no use in waking if your dreaming's done" : Pigram Bros.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2018
Dan#40's Avatar
Dan#40 Dan#40 is offline
dbw EnduroX Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out Riding
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Might be worth putting your actual location in your sig Dan. If you were close I'd fix it for free...

Either you have shorted turns in your armature, a bad connection, the rec reg has failed or there is a massive load on the system causing an increased voltage drop. Check all four...
Cheers Nutty , im in Sydney..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2018
ozzy max's Avatar
ozzy max ozzy max is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melb Australia
Posts: 665
Check you dont have a poor earth to the head stem area.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2018
ouzo ouzo is offline
dbw Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Using a multimeter, first test both the volts & amps draw at the light while engine in running. Should be 12v & under 7amps.
You would think the stator is good since the engine runs.
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry like your lights & horn. Again use your multimeter to check volts & amps coming out of this unit with engine running. If this capacitor does not show 12v or near then its faulty & replace. Also check connections haven't rattled themselves loose.
Third thing to check is the switch block. Does the horn work ?
Test multimeter across the blue then the green wires with engine running & lights on, white being yr earth wire.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2018
Nutty's Avatar
Nutty Nutty is offline
The "One" and only
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shoalhaven NSW
Posts: 11,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzo View Post
You would think the stator is good since the engine runs.
Pretty sure this thing has a Kokusan ignition which derives all spark energy from the pulser coil/CAS. They'll run with the generating armature removed...

Quote:
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry
The two yellow wires are the AC output of the alternator and wouldn't lead to a DC device (the cap), they'd go to a rec/reg first.

And...caps don't supply power, they store charge.

On this bike the AC armature supplies output to the rec/reg which itself has both AC and DC outputs. The DC output is smoothed by the capacitor before going to the DC bus. The AC output is current limited by the rec/reg.

Some brands run AC to the headlights (Yamaha, TM), some run DC.

Some good stuff from Ouzo to check, but probs a bit daunting for the non-technical.
__________________
"Ain't no use in waking if your dreaming's done" : Pigram Bros.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2018
Oldscool's Avatar
Oldscool Oldscool is online now
DBW Clubman
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzo View Post
Using a multimeter, first test both the volts & amps draw at the light while engine in running. Should be 12v & under 7amps.
You would think the stator is good since the engine runs.
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry like your lights & horn. Again use your multimeter to check volts & amps coming out of this unit with engine running. If this capacitor does not show 12v or near then its faulty & replace. Also check connections haven't rattled themselves loose.
Third thing to check is the switch block. Does the horn work ?
Test multimeter across the blue then the green wires with engine running & lights on, white being yr earth wire.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Good step by step
__________________
Im just an athlete trapped in a fat body.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2018
Dan#40's Avatar
Dan#40 Dan#40 is offline
dbw EnduroX Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out Riding
Posts: 2,641
Here is the wiring diagram if that helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2018
jpgibson jpgibson is online now
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,393
I have the same bike , but with e start. Have you just acquired it? Has the problem just arisen?
The gasgas wiring can be a bit funky( more 'friday' bikes than monday) unfortunately and not follow the diagram exactly.
The experts have spoken ( maybe gasser nate might have an idea too), I dont think they run a capacitor ( unlike the KTM's).
I reckon it'll be a broekn wire or worn through insulation.
good luck!
Oh, my headlight doesnt work at all!
__________________
Current dirtbike: 2013 GasGas EC 300 Race
Current roadbike: 2013 Husqvarna Nuda 900R
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2018
gasser nate's Avatar
gasser nate gasser nate is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 785
There was a few different ways Gasgas did the wiring on this year range, the e-start obviously had a battery, some had a capacitor instead. (kick only) The early ones were Ac power source only and others had a full wave rectifier that would output Dc to the capacitor. So if yours has a cap, it'll be a Dc circuit. BUT sometimes they use Ac for lights just to be annoying. I'd be checking the output at the capacitor first then tracing back. The charging circuit and ignition circuit are separate in the stator so it can still run with a faulty charge coil for the lighting so don't rule out the stator.
__________________
Current toys, Subaru powered Manxter buggy, 2018 Gasgas Ec300, Mt-09 Tracer 2016,
Previous toys, TM En300 2016, 2004 Ec300, 2009 Tenere 660, 1996 Cr250, 1984 Yz100, 2006 FZ6, 1981 Z750, 1981 XL250s.

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rec Reg Lighting Kit Pygmygod Honda Forum 5 26-12-2014 03:44 PM
lighting stator problem - YZ125wr LAPPER General Bike Related Discussion 19 26-04-2009 11:03 PM
RMX Lighting Problem Justin G Suzuki Forum 21 31-12-2008 02:55 PM
520 lighting kit reelaxin KTM Forum 0 06-01-2008 09:36 PM
Rec Reg Lighting Powerage General Bike Related Discussion 1 19-03-2006 11:10 PM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.