dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 04-08-2018
dbw EnduroX Team

Gasgas Lighting problem

Hey guys , im having trouble with the lights on my 13 Gasgas ec300 . Mine is the race model with out a battery . When the bike is running it looks like the lights dont work at all but when you take a real close look the headlight globe has a slight glow . The dash light wont work nor will the lights for the controls . Does anyone know anything about this system or know anyone who does ? Any help would be great ..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018
The "One" and only

Might be worth putting your actual location in your sig Dan. If you were close I'd fix it for free...

Either you have shorted turns in your armature, a bad connection, the rec reg has failed or there is a massive load on the system causing an increased voltage drop. Check all four...

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 04-08-2018
dbw EnduroX Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Might be worth putting your actual location in your sig Dan. If you were close I'd fix it for free...

Either you have shorted turns in your armature, a bad connection, the rec reg has failed or there is a massive load on the system causing an increased voltage drop. Check all four...
Cheers Nutty , im in Sydney..

Old 05-08-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Check you dont have a poor earth to the head stem area.
Old 06-08-2018
dbw Pro

Using a multimeter, first test both the volts & amps draw at the light while engine in running. Should be 12v & under 7amps.
You would think the stator is good since the engine runs.
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry like your lights & horn. Again use your multimeter to check volts & amps coming out of this unit with engine running. If this capacitor does not show 12v or near then its faulty & replace. Also check connections haven't rattled themselves loose.
Third thing to check is the switch block. Does the horn work ?
Test multimeter across the blue then the green wires with engine running & lights on, white being yr earth wire.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzo View Post
Pretty sure this thing has a Kokusan ignition which derives all spark energy from the pulser coil/CAS. They'll run with the generating armature removed...

Quote:
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry
The two yellow wires are the AC output of the alternator and wouldn't lead to a DC device (the cap), they'd go to a rec/reg first.

And...caps don't supply power, they store charge.

On this bike the AC armature supplies output to the rec/reg which itself has both AC and DC outputs. The DC output is smoothed by the capacitor before going to the DC bus. The AC output is current limited by the rec/reg.

Some brands run AC to the headlights (Yamaha, TM), some run DC.

Some good stuff from Ouzo to check, but probs a bit daunting for the non-technical.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 06-08-2018
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzo View Post
Using a multimeter, first test both the volts & amps draw at the light while engine in running. Should be 12v & under 7amps.
Next thing is follow the 2 yellow wires coming out of stator & these should lead to a capacitor which supplies power to yr DC componentry like your lights & horn. Again use your multimeter to check volts & amps coming out of this unit with engine running. If this capacitor does not show 12v or near then its faulty & replace. Also check connections haven't rattled themselves loose.
Third thing to check is the switch block. Does the horn work ?
Test multimeter across the blue then the green wires with engine running & lights on, white being yr earth wire.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Good step by step
Old 06-08-2018
dbw EnduroX Team

Here is the wiring diagram if that helps

Old 07-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I have the same bike , but with e start. Have you just acquired it? Has the problem just arisen?
The gasgas wiring can be a bit funky( more 'friday' bikes than monday) unfortunately and not follow the diagram exactly.
The experts have spoken ( maybe gasser nate might have an idea too), I dont think they run a capacitor ( unlike the KTM's).
I reckon it'll be a broekn wire or worn through insulation.
good luck!
Oh, my headlight doesnt work at all!
Old 07-08-2018
dbw Factory Pro

There was a few different ways Gasgas did the wiring on this year range, the e-start obviously had a battery, some had a capacitor instead. (kick only) The early ones were Ac power source only and others had a full wave rectifier that would output Dc to the capacitor. So if yours has a cap, it'll be a Dc circuit. BUT sometimes they use Ac for lights just to be annoying. I'd be checking the output at the capacitor first then tracing back. The charging circuit and ignition circuit are separate in the stator so it can still run with a faulty charge coil for the lighting so don't rule out the stator.

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.