dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Competition & Racing

Competition & Racing Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.jdjetting.com.au

Old 15-01-2007
dbw Factory Pro

MX Training

hello peoples,

has anyone here done any sort of MX training and can recommend someone in the south NSW area? (i ride at kembla)

I have been riding about 2 years now (nearly 1yr on a MX track) and am slowly getting better but would like to get to a level where i could go around in C grade without embarassing myself,

i noticed on the WMCC web page it has a link to Aden De Jagers page who does some training, can anyone vouch for him?
obviously i would prefer to do 1 on 1 training provided it didnt cost me an arm and a leg
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

The best training without a doubt is more time in the saddle.

There are a few techniques you need to be aware of naturally, but with the internet at your finger tips you should be able to dig up that advice for free. Things like looking ahead as far as you can, gripping the bike with your knees, loading up the suspension on the face of a jump, weighting the footpegs as you go around corners etc.

But again, usually these things you pick up naturally the more time you spend on the bike. Don't be affraid to play around with the bike.

Meybe even attend a stephen galls academy day etc... but i'd be guessing you'd be a long way off needing your own personal trainer if you haven't tried out C grade yet.
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Greg Moss does schools all around but i think he mainly does them at Appin now due to a falling out with the Nowra club. His school is called Smooth Hard and Fast. Check out their website for more info.

http://www.mossyonline.com.au/index2.html

I did one of the Yamaha acadamy weekends a few years back and it was probably the best money i have ever spent in relation to riding. I'm not sure if they do 1 on 1 coaching though.

De Jager is a pretty good rider but i havn't heard any thing about his coaching.

2008 RMZ450

Thanks to:
JH Designs
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Pro Legend

My mate did 1 on 1 with Aden at Kembla and he said it was great and he benfited alot from it. Bad thing is Aden charges a bit too much for most people. Depends how many hours you do with him.

Old 15-01-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdisco
The best training without a doubt is more time in the saddle.

There are a few techniques you need to be aware of naturally, but with the internet at your finger tips you should be able to dig up that advice for free. Things like looking ahead as far as you can, gripping the bike with your knees, loading up the suspension on the face of a jump, weighting the footpegs as you go around corners etc.

But again, usually these things you pick up naturally the more time you spend on the bike. Don't be affraid to play around with the bike.

Meybe even attend a stephen galls academy day etc... but i'd be guessing you'd be a long way off needing your own personal trainer if you haven't tried out C grade yet.
I have to dissagree with this.

Correct technique for MX is not somethiong that can be self taught. Even Bubba has Stephen Gall working with him ate moment as riding coach and he is the fastest rider in the world at the moment. Seat time alone will not ne enough if you want to learn to ride with correct technique.

Every sport has basic fundamentals that need to taught. Sure you can read about it or buy a DVD and watch that but unless you can see yourelf ride the you still have no idea wether or not your actually doing it right.

Bonz look into getting some coachiong from Greg Moss. I'm pretty sure that he does small groups so you can get some mates together or maybe some of the fellas on here might be interested (god knows some of us need it) and you can split the cost and make it a little cheaper.

Dan#40 did one of his SX schools not that long ago so he might be able to shed a little more light on the subject for you.

2008 RMZ450

Thanks to:
JH Designs
Old 15-01-2007

I think you've helped make my point

You don't go to Laurie Lawrence when you're kicking around the swimming pool in floaties.

Get a few basic fundamentals right and plenty of saddle time. A one day academy would prob be enough.... save the full on training for when you can use it the most. I'm sure bubba has already covered the saddle time and fundamentals aspects and is trying to capitalise on every avenue possible to squeeze out that little bit more.

It doesn't hurt to have some clay happening before you start to mould it...

Make sure you got the fundamentals right, get some more saddle time, do a few C Grade races and then revisit it.
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Like i said you might think you are doing the fundamentals right but chances are you arn't.

Somehow i dont think Bonz is talking about going out and hiring a personal coach and putting him on the payroll. One or two sessions with an instructor is all that is required to learn the basics and put them to use. After that he can go and race with confidence. Seat time may work for trail riders but it won't be enough for racing. Would you send your kid out to play football without him knowing how to catch or pass or tackle? I don't think so.

I recently spent some time with my 13 year old cousin who has been riding for about 9 months. He is starting to race this year so i spent 3 days goimg over the basics with him and getting him to do cornering, braking and jumping drills to teach him the correct way to do it. He dropped his lap times at his local track which he has been riding since he started from 2:25 to 2:09 in three days. I'm not a qualified coach i just uded the same drills i was taught at the Offroad Acadamy.

2008 RMZ450

Thanks to:
JH Designs
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Factory Pro

i completely agree that seat time is a must for me at the moment, i have been out to kembla the past 2 weekends sweating my arse off as i understand the only way im going to get any better is being on the bike as much as possible

I checked out that smooth, hard & fast, they havent got any dates set for anything at appin in the not too distant future,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap
My mate did 1 on 1 with Aden at Kembla and he said it was great and he benfited alot from it. Bad thing is Aden charges a bit too much for most people. Depends how many hours you do with him.
can you remember how much he charged? i sent Aden an email a while ago but never got an answer
Old 15-01-2007
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgoon
Somehow i dont think Bonz is talking about going out and hiring a personal coach and putting him on the payroll.
definately not, i just want someone to see what im doing wrong and point me in the right direction with any additional pointers / help etc they can offer
Old 15-01-2007

maybe what we're all saying isn't too much different...

I've attended road bike racing and dirtbike academies, and it seems to me you can get 90% of the fundamentals pretty much in a day.... the rest comes down to saddle time and making sure you keep reminding yourself of the fundamentals.

I didn't acheive much from the dirt bike one as I'd already been paying pretty close attention to tips from others and done my own research.

I'm guessing your 13yo cousin might not have put alot of research or thought into the fundamentals or technique ? might have been more uncle goons idea ?