dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Gas Gas 2018 EC250 Six Days - first impressions

First ride - 3hrs, 70km on the bike today. Gentle Granny put-put at Belanglo.

The first time we dropped into the single, I thought "Wow, it's got plenty off the bottom!..". Reminded me of the '18 RR250, poky but perhaps a tad more torque.
It came from Spain geared a little tall (13/48) for my usual riding, but the motor didn't struggle really to pull the gears. Still, steeper/more tech terrain would need 13/50 for mine.

Easy clutch action made 50km of switch back single a little less fatiguing than my Beta, tbh.

The KYB's are what swayed me to Gas Gas & I was not disappointed. They worked great out of the crate with no set up whatsoever - I'm 92kg on the bike. By the time I got the bike home & finished setting it up, it was late & I only had a brief look at sag. Static was a boingy 28mm, but I was cooked so left it. Worked great - so should be filth when it's done correctly for my weight, with the caveat that the fork needs a little more break in time.

The bike rides higher in the stroke & higher off the ground than my previous bike. The seat is closer to the pegs, so sit to stand is easier.

The 250's side to side steering and balance is brilliant. Easy to ride smooth with no surprises.

E-start worked all day in gear or neutral. Nissin brakes are predictably tops.

Fit & finish is great with nothing falling off the bike (me included ). The fancy 6-Days graphics, however already have boot marks from gripping the bike and I'm not sure they'll last that long.

Air box is really well sealed & my air filter was spotless when I washed the beast.

Used about 6Lt for 70km - obviously putting around due to run in.

Summary - top little dinger - A well-priced, top-specced & sharp handling 2-t with simply excellent suspension.
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Excellent stuff! Iím very happy for you and envious and making plans to rob a bank.

Sounds like a ripper of a bike.
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Obviously very pleased you like the bike mate..
FWIW your riding was smooth and fast from the start on that thing. You seemed to get on together pretty well straight away. Little bit of personalisation and you're going to be even more difficult to catch.

My 2 minute tootle round the carpark showed the bike definitely had the family resemblance to the 300 I was riding, with that extra 250 zip and inexplicable 250 lightness.. same glorious suspension though! Looking forward to a bit more of a blat soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

General Manager Close Motorcycles - Honda, Suzuki, GasGas and Kymco in Sydney
Old 2 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

great to hear you love the bike, reguarding the air box it wouldn't take much to improve on the past few models. What is the access to the air cleaner like, the seating and retention ?
Have you started to look for after market protection let, is there much avaliable? Had you riden the 250 and 300 before making your choice and what swayed you towards the 250?
Cheer ozzy
Old 2 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy max View Post
great to hear you love the bike, reguarding the air box it wouldn't take much to improve on the past few models. What is the access to the air cleaner like, the seating and retention ?
Have you started to look for after market protection let, is there much avaliable? Had you riden the 250 and 300 before making your choice and what swayed you towards the 250?
Cheer ozzy
Ozzy, the large lhs side panel is secured by 3 pins with a raised lip on both the panel and air box perimeter, giving an overlap, thus giving a good seal. Retention of the air filter is via a spring loaded rod that seats in it's own recess, thus making it pretty hard to get wrong.

AXP make great rad guards & bash plates, they are on the bike. As noted in another thread, P-Tech have begun production of their very high quality pipe/bash plate combos. Force are onto it as well.

Re 250 v 300 - yes, I rode an '18 EC300 before I bought my bike. I love the sheer bottom end power the new 300 has, but wanted to go back to a 250 for the extra "fun" factor that you get with a quarter litre. They require more of you in terms of riding input, but the spinny motor feel & lighter feeling in s/t is worth it.

With slightly shorter gearing, it'll work even better in the rocky trails at my regular spot. So far, so good.