dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 14-03-2017
dbw Pro

Lightbars.

Just wondering who else here may be running a light bar for night rides and if so, what did you go with? There's a heap of cheapo lights on ebay though would like to see what others are running?! Riding will be mostly slow, technical single trails and will go on a 2012 Husaberg te300.
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Good call, keen to see what peeps are using myself..

I'LL BE THE LAST PERSON TO DIE IN MY LIFETIME.....
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Factory Pro

The problem you will face is that the 300s DC charging system is not even close to been able to provide enough charge to keep the battery from going flat on night rides, Nutty posted the exact specs on here.
I fitted 2x6inch light bars for a trial and after a few hours the e-start was no longer cranking the bike. May well be a different story if your using the upper end of the rev range keeping the charging system at its peak.

The way around it is fitting a Trailtech DC stator.
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo94 View Post
The problem you will face is that the 300s DC charging system is not even close to been able to provide enough charge to keep the battery from going flat on night rides, Nutty posted the exact specs on here.
I fitted 2x6inch light bars for a trial and after a few hours the e-start was no longer cranking the bike. May well be a different story if your using the upper end of the rev range keeping the charging system at its peak.

I would think it'd depend what wattage output light you use?! The standard headlight globe is 35w high/low so I'd assume you should be able to run a 36w LED lightbar without an issue?!
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Factory Pro

The standard headlight is running on the AC side of the stator
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Like learn more myself
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
The standard headlight is running on the AC side of the stator
I read that the stator is 100ac and 20DC. In this case, shouldn't I be able to run a 18w light bar off the highbeam (or direct to battery) without it running the battery flat?! I don't need to run both the headlight and lightbar at the same time. I've read so many different opinions on this it's confused that hell out of me, I'll stick to building houses I think
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechy View Post
I that the stator is 100ac AND 20DC. In this case, shouldn't I be able to run a 18w light bar off the highbeam (or direct to battery) without it running the battery flat?! I've read so many different opinions on this it's confused that hell out of me, I'll stick to building houses I think
I needed more light with 2x18w lightbars and the original headlight. A good set up if the bike could handle it would be a combination of HID and LED (distance and spread).

The factory fan is enough to drain the battery in slow tech single if its on enough so for me the 300 isn't suitable for night riding unless you are willing to invest into a better stator.
Old 14-03-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
I needed more light with 2x18w lightbars and the original headlight. A good set up if the bike could handle it would be a combination of HID and LED (distance and spread).

The factory fan is enough to drain the battery in slow tech single if its on enough so for me the 300 isn't suitable for night riding unless you are willing to invest into a better stator.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Might have to look into some other options.
Old 15-03-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:

As standard, My 250 exc is good for 35w from the battery before the charging system cant keep up.

Need to know anything about lights on dirtbikes and stator rewinds, get onto Betta Bikes in Adelaide! We have a state title offroad series in SA where we race at night. Steve from Betta Bikes has built his business around doing light upgrades since 1984 and definitely knows his stuff
SAORC #216
Current Rides: '15 250exc, '12 Berg TE250.

Gawler MCC