dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Organise a Ride for Yourself. > ACT Rides

ACT Rides Organise a ride in the ACT and Surrounds

Old 10-08-2009
dbw Pro

**cough** Pierces Creek
Old 10-08-2009
dbw Pro

need a place for me and the kiddies to ride in vic

no better feeling for a dad to see is young belting round the padocks having a ball. though Im really just getting my boys into it. any ideas where dad can belt around with his boys
Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensaik View Post
Firestorm...when did you visit Fairburn? The ACTMCC and DSMRA have invested a bit of time into it recently to get it up to scratch. They are also jointly tackling the issues around noise. There is another Rec ride on this weekend.
I have ridden out there plenty of times and know Fairbairn pretty well, we tried to make an enduro loop there about 18 months ago for a sprint ....the place is just not big enough so you only get a 6 to 8 minute loop, then it gets chopped to shit very quickly.
If they managed to get the use of the whole air disaster memorial pines area right out where the paintball used to be at the back would be great, but defence have closed it all off and there are big coils of barbed wire on all the tracks in there now....i used to use it as a close by spot for suspension testing and kangaroo herding

I apreciate the effort they are going to, but more land is needed to make it worthwhile
Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro

I would have thought it'd be in the best interests of the local bike shops to lobby the Gov into opening a public track. It would obviously mean more sales for the dealers. Or if the Canb.MC Centre were smart, maybe they could buy a block not far from town and open their own track? (I can dream, right?)
Old 11-08-2009
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
**cough** Pierces Creek

Hey Doc,

any issues with police out there - do they turn a blind eye; how often do families go here to assure I am not going to get a $1000 fine on behalf of my kids.

Thanx in advance
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro

Fizz,

I've taken my boys out there many times, and we haven't been kicked out yet. However, I was talking to one of the other dads there who said he got moved on by the police once.
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro

Hopefully the rec ride days at Fairbairn are the start of something both bigger and more regular. The ACT Govt has in fact put aside $500k especially for a new facility in the ACT, and the DSMRA/MRA/ACTMCC have been trying to show that there is enough demand and enough responsible riders to make it viable.

We know that what is out there at the moment is not good enough, but just by getting out on the rec ride days you are helping make the case for the facility to be expanded, or for an alternative to be built.

Please keep an eye on the ACTMCC website and try to get there when it is open, if only to help us show that there is a big, responsible riding community to balance the message from those naysayers who want the Govt to ban motorcycle riding, not support it. Hopefully better facilities will follow.
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Hopefully the rec ride days at Fairbairn are the start of something both bigger and more regular. The ACT Govt has in fact put aside $500k especially for a new facility in the ACT, and the DSMRA/MRA/ACTMCC have been trying to show that there is enough demand and enough responsible riders to make it viable.

We know that what is out there at the moment is not good enough, but just by getting out on the rec ride days you are helping make the case for the facility to be expanded, or for an alternative to be built.

Please keep an eye on the ACTMCC website and try to get there when it is open, if only to help us show that there is a big, responsible riding community to balance the message from those naysayers who want the Govt to ban motorcycle riding, not support it. Hopefully better facilities will follow.

you make a good point Dave....
Could ther be some way to incorporate ACT sporties club members ?

I know the club is near dead these days, but still has a membership, and the ACT team at the A4DE each year.
I dont want to pay ACTMCC membership, I already am a member of Young, ACT sporties and untill recently Cooma, but ACTMCC do not support my needs for enduro racing, and while i appreciate the effort that has gone into Fairbairn......i dont think the facility is/will be suitable for enduro training..... so cant justify the cost of ACTMCC membership just to support the cause...
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
Hey Doc,

any issues with police out there - do they turn a blind eye; how often do families go here to assure I am not going to get a $1000 fine on behalf of my kids.

Thanx in advance
Haven't actually been into the unofficial kids area for a year or so, but rode past it a couple of weeks ago and there were plenty of families in there using it.

As long as you stay in that area and don't let the kids go out onto the surrounding forestry roads unregistered/unlicensed, you should be ok.

At worst I would imagine a visit from the boys in blue would result in being told to bugger off.

I would also recommend that you try to discourage anyone that decides to ride/drive like a knob in the area - will only take one kid getting hurt and the fences will go back up like they did at Tharwa.

Old 12-08-2009
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
Haven't actually been into the unofficial kids area for a year or so, but rode past it a couple of weeks ago and there were plenty of families in there using it.

As long as you stay in that area and don't let the kids go out onto the surrounding forestry roads unregistered/unlicensed, you should be ok.

Can you give me some directions to this unofficial 'but tolerated' kids area - would like to go next weekend. As you head out past Cotter playground area, and go up the hill (towards Tidbinbilla), is it the dirt road on the right <heads towards Vanitys crossing>?

Thanx in avance
Fizz