dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Project Bikes

Project Bikes Proudly Sponsored by: www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 31-12-2018
DBW Clubman

88' XT600Z Tenere rebuild/modernisation/bastardisation.

Note, I started this thread a while ago on ADVrider and the Tenere forums. Unsure why I didn't originally post it here as well. Seems i'm bored i thought I would throw it up to pass some time

So I wanted to start recording this project for my own benefit, mainly so I had something to look back over if I ever get it done!
Thought I may as well Make it public so my fiance isn't the only one laughing at me for all the wasted time and money haha.

Not too much progress yet, I've really only just got stuck in.
This is my 1988 XT600z Tenere (3AJ).
I bought it running and registered in 2011 with 97500 kilometres on the clock. The plan was to use it as a daily rider and weekend getaway ride while keeping my 530EXC for the more serious stuff.

As luck would have it, 120ks into my first weekend away ride and I collected a roo at speed, tearing apart the fuel tank at one of the fairing mounts, cracking the front fairing and messing up a few other bits and pieces. I fixed the tank and the fairing, but then ran out of time and money and so its sat untouched since then.

Anyway. Enough with the background story. Back to the now.
As I begun to pull it down for some maintenance hoping to get it running again cheap and easy, I quickly realised that the bike had had very little care taken of it in the past. The wiring harness is shot to shit, the engine is more liquid gasket than metal and the oil lines and fixtures couldn't hold in lumpy custard under pressure.
What really blew me away, was that the previous owner had painted the frame (a lot of effort in stripping the bike to do that) but put the thing back together with decades-old bushes and seals. So, in the end, I accepted my fate and decided to rebuild the whole thing.

The end goal is to turn it into a weekend away adventure/enduro bike that might turn a head or two at a meet. Apart from the standard rebuilding everything, I want to pretty it up, completely update the electrics and dash with modern LED headlamps and GPS etc. Fit a new front suspension setup, larger forks and maybe even a twin front disc arrangement if I can work it.
New custom underslung exhaust and removable pannier setup are also on the cards.
Bit of an ambitious project, with a KTM in the shed and four kids in the house time and money, are hard to come by, but I'll keep this thread updated, hopefully, its interesting enough for a few punters here.
R.A.G Endurance Sports.

Last edited by Muppet; 31-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 31-12-2018
DBW Clubman

I've stripped the bike down now. As the frame was painted professionally by the previous owner I'm looking forward to giving that a good wash so I'll have a nice clean starting point. The engine is the first focus so everything else is being ignored for now so I don't get bogged down by how much there is to do!

Stripped her right down, old school single cylinder dirt bikes were what I cut my teeth on as a kid so nothing too unfamiliar, although this is my first solo rebuild from the crank up which is a fun to learn experience.
I spent literally 5 hours cleaning all the old gasket goo off of the mating surfaces and then a few hours more cleaning everything up. It was a real mess.
I've had a gasket and seal kit delivered and I popped the old bearings out last night. I'll source some new ones in the coming week and everything else is nicely within spec so far which means once I've got the new gaskets in I can get it painted and put it back together pretty quickly.

R.A.G Endurance Sports.
Old 31-12-2018
DBW Clubman

Current day update.

So, I didn't want to post in here again until I had a decent bit of progress to share.
However, I'm sitting here in the middle of my two weeks off twiddling my thumbs and going mad. I thought some forum time might help a little.

After getting the barrel rebored to suit the new Wiseco piston, I gave the crank to the local "best in the business" workshop to have it fully rebuilt and balanced. It's a real love-hate relationship with these guys. I've used them a few times, the quality of work is unreal but the turnaround and customer service is rubbish. They're the best at what they do within 1000km though so I persist.
Its been four + months since I gave them the crank and I had hoped that even with parts on back order and how busy they were (their primary work is building, maintaining and dyno tuning high-performance road bikes which keeps them pretty flat out) I was hoping to have it back before my time off so i could finally start putting the engine back together.

Not to be the case though, they reopen on the 02.01.19 so I'll have to go in and chase it up then. As soon as I have it back ill be able to put the motor back together in its entirety.
I'll have to double check, but I am pretty sure I have most if not all of what I need to rebuild and reinstall the swingarm except for a new shock and wheel so hopefully I will be able to get some decent progress made in a shorter amount of time once that crank comes back.

In the meantime, I have managed to keep myself sane by spending some time and money on my KTM project bike. New tyres, pads and rotors are on the way to get it a little closer to being rideable. I might even give it a wash and fire it up today. The KTM is 99% ready to ride, but I have let it take a back seat to the Tenere as I know that even if I get it running and registered I just won't have the time to ride it.

I'll throw up another update with some pictures in (hopefully) the not to distant future.
Have a great New Years everyone! Take it easy
R.A.G Endurance Sports.
Old 31-12-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Cool project, thanks for posting
Old 01-01-2019
dbw Pro Champion

Check the threads that the head bolts screw into, the bolts only thread into the alloy casting and can get a little worse for wear.

My Dads '91 TT600 (same engine basically) had the head lift on the highway due to the bolts pulling the thread out under load.

Mind you it did have about 140,000km on it and may have had the top end done a couple of times already.

Was an easy fix by doing a double helicoil, meaning 2 helicoils stacked on top of each other.
- '96 KLX650R
- '82 KX80
- Sons bike '08 KLX450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Go with the lesser seen Kwaka and stand out in the crowd.
Old 01-01-2019
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathy View Post
Check the threads that the head bolts screw into, the bolts only thread into the alloy casting and can get a little worse for wear.

My Dads '91 TT600 (same engine basically) had the head lift on the highway due to the bolts pulling the thread out under load.

Mind you it did have about 140,000km on it and may have had the top end done a couple of times already.

Was an easy fix by doing a double helicoil, meaning 2 helicoils stacked on top of each other.
Cheers for the "heads" up mate! haha. I'll add it to the list of things to double check.
R.A.G Endurance Sports.