dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro

Sorry for the massive thread grave dig. I dislocated my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Have not started physio yet as they said give it a couple of weeks for the joint to settle "was a full floppy arm dislocation" but looking at getting a shoulder brace for when I do get back into it. Does anyone have experience with shoulder braces for riding? The leatt or EVS look good but looking for a real world review.

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_pop View Post
Sorry for the massive thread grave dig. I dislocated my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Have not started physio yet as they said give it a couple of weeks for the joint to settle "was a full floppy arm dislocation" but looking at getting a shoulder brace for when I do get back into it. Does anyone have experience with shoulder braces for riding? The leatt or EVS look good but looking for a real world review.

Cheers!
The reason you may not get many answers could be because there is no effective shoulder brace
Old 06-04-2017
dbw Pro

Ahhh, thanks mate. Was worried that was the case. Looks like lots of rotator cuff strengthening and hope that it stays in place.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

I had mine done three weeks ago. The report said it was a massive rotor cuff tear. All of Supraspinatus, upper quarter of Subcapularis and the majority of Infraspinatus. That came about after earlier injuries and a big slip and fall recently. No choice but to get it done really. Physio began at day 3. I have no idea why some docs recommend waiting 6 weeks before trying to get movement back and my physio said that its so hard to get moving again after 6 weeks. Perhaps different injuries need to be treated differently? I was told about the horrific pain to expect. Well that didn't happen really. I took oxycodiene for three night and panadol for maybe a week. Sleeping is a bitch.
The docs are all saying that it takes a year to fully heal due to the size of the tear and age 56. 6 months is strong enough for most things though. I cannot do my work until at least 4.5 months. I have a blind and shutter business so no installations above my head for me at all. No driving for at least 6 weeks. GRRRR
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

dislocation here, details are a bit further back in the thread.
My doc had me on no movement for 6 weeks other then some basic exercise 3 times a day
elbow at 90deg by my side and move fist out then back to chest.
no bringing my arm up from the side. each week we would add a small bit of movement.
No assisted stretching!
my physio had a different opinion by we followed his directions and 4.5 years on my shoulder is great, no pain, good strength and only just shy of full rom.

each doc/pysio/injury will be different. but listen to your own body is the best advice I could give. Good diet, and get outside and move, just go for a walk, I don't believe sitting on ones arse helps recovery at all.

I slept in a recliner for a couple months

good luck with the healing
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

the repaired shoulder is still going great, the rest of the body is showing some wear and tear
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

I broke the top of my humerus and the bone healed in place, but pulled bicep out of grove, damage subscap and supraspinitus.

I had done one rehab already before biting the bullet and going with surgery.

It is full on compared to breaking my femur etc.

I had very similar surgery to robbo at the same clinic and am still waiting to use the arm (2.5 months after surgery).

It's been very testing time for me as muscle repair is more complex than bone and there is more that can go wrong and there will be lots of rehab and a long wait for it to heal.

Arm looks gross, has atrophied pretty bad.

It requires alot of patience care and positivity. Good luck with it.