dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 31-05-2019
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr7cx View Post
The Honda CRF250R and KTM 250 EXC are a bit too hardcore for my purposes.
Don't sell yourself so short mate, fact is most of these 'Ready To Race' enduro bikes are owned by trail-hacks and wanna-bes.

While the 250F option will be a great step forward from the XR, get that EXC on the pipe and you're gonna feel like you're cheating on your missus
Old 03-06-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
So 2k on the clock would be 20% worn out, 4k, 40% and 6k, 60% of the bikes life span?
Thats more or less how I look at second hand bikes. If you're not fussed about riding an older bike theres ones out there that that might be 20 - 40% of the original purchase price but with 70%+ 'life' left in them. They're out there, sometimes you need to be patient and be ready to pounce when the right bike comes up at the right price.

I also take a comprehensive checklist of things to look for when purchasing 2nd hand (I get excited and stop using my brain) because while km's are a good guide, they cannot always be trusted to 100% reliable. I'm unlikely to ever buy brand new again.
Old 05-06-2019
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380EXCQLD View Post
Don't sell yourself so short mate, fact is most of these 'Ready To Race' enduro bikes are owned by trail-hacks and wanna-bes.

While the 250F option will be a great step forward from the XR, get that EXC on the pipe and you're gonna feel like you're cheating on your missus
I'm really looking forward to acquiring an electric starter button though and feel loosing the side stand would annoy me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanator27 View Post
Thats more or less how I look at second hand bikes. If you're not fussed about riding an older bike theres ones out there that that might be 20 - 40% of the original purchase price but with 70%+ 'life' left in them. They're out there, sometimes you need to be patient and be ready to pounce when the right bike comes up at the right price.
Age of the bike doesn't phase me at all. I'm an old car kinda guy.

Locally there isn't much around currently, but there is a 2004 CRF250X that looks very clean and neat and a 2007 KTM 250 EXC-F which looks to be owned by a young bloke. The condition of the CRF250X and what I've read about the engine having good low torque and mid range power, compared to the KTM with big power but up at high RPM, makes me think it might be a good option (won't lie some mates are going riding this weekend and part of me just wants to buy something to get after it...). I'd assume that the valve dramas would have been dealt with on the CRF by now.

Quote:
I also take a comprehensive checklist of things to look for when purchasing 2nd hand (I get excited and stop using my brain) because while km's are a good guide, they cannot always be trusted to 100% reliable.
Got a copy of that checklist?
2000 Honda XR250R - bash plates and guards, XRsOnly 78mm 284cc JE Piston, Kibble White Titanium Valve Spring, Ferrea Stainless Steel valves, Cometic gaskets, XRsOnly Big Bore Stainless Steel headers and FMF PowerCore 4 can.

Last edited by twr7cx; 05-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2019
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:

Just jot down what you think is important mate..

Personally, I like the seller to know the bike.

Where did you mainly ride? Have you maintained the bike yourself or had someone else do it? If so who? What brands of oil, filter etc have you used? What did your maintenance schedule look like? (ie how many hours between services).

Has any mechanical work been done in ownership?
- Pistons, shimming of valves, rebuilds, linkage bearing replacement, etc. If so, who by? how long ago? etc.

Just asking questions will help you spot of a bullshitter from a mile away. I wouldn't buy a used bike from someone who doesn't know the answer to those questions.

Next, cross reference their answers against the bike infront of you. Check wheel bearings, linkages, air box, general wear and tear on frame rails, swingarm, engine cases etc and ask yourself if they match the reading on the odo and the answers provided from how the previous owner used the bike.

Anything you pick up that may need addressing before riding or in the near future use in negotiations. Most bikes will need something.

Then decide using your brain.. not the excitement you feel from viewing and test riding a bike knowing it could potentially be yours!
Old 05-06-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to acquiring an electric starter button though and feel loosing the side stand would annoy me too!

Age of the bike doesn't phase me at all. I'm an old car kinda guy.

Locally there isn't much around currently, but there is a 2004 CRF250X that looks very clean and neat and a 2007 KTM 250 EXC-F which looks to be owned by a young bloke. The condition of the CRF250X and what I've read about the engine having good low torque and mid range power, compared to the KTM with big power but up at high RPM, makes me think it might be a good option (won't lie some mates are going riding this weekend and part of me just wants to buy something to get after it...).

What Jake says pretty much covers it, but if you PM me an email address I'll send it to you.
Old 05-06-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
What Jake says pretty much covers it, but if you PM me an email address I'll send it to you.
Done