dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 20-05-2007
dbw Pro

Exclamation new yzf 450 need to setup for bush

any tricks to setting up a standard package. it feels good now , but ive come from an 89 kdx200 so anything is better for me.
Old 20-05-2007
dbw Factory Pro

heavier flywheel weight,

maybe change your gearing? 48 or something on the rear.
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Congrats on the new purchase!

The first thing I'd do is up the flywheel weight. Especially if your going to ride sketchy / rocky uphills, muddy uphills, slow technical sections. The extra 'chugability' of the heavier flywheel is a big bonus for these conditions as it will tame the initial snappiness of the bike.

Add some barkbusters and a decent bashplate and you'll be allready to roll. Not sure if your planning on putting a head light, etc on for rego. in which case you may need to look at changing the stator.

Coming from the kdx, that's quite an upgrade. With this in mind, you may find that by the end of a days ride you'll need some assistance putting your arms back in their sockets.

Happy riding,

Yam-Man
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Come to think of it, I should've mentioned radiator guards also. They are a really cheap investment.
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro

yeah she has a headlight rec reg + bark busters

i will have to look into the flywheel , the bike gets pretty warm , i dont know if i want to shroud the radiators and more, we got slow riders in the pack and we pull up a bit. should i bother with over flow tank maybe?
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro Legend

The overflow tank wouldn't be such a bad idea. Your right the 450's do get a bit warm. Recently, I went riding with a YZ450 rider (equipped with radiator protection) through some really technical rocky uphill sections (Flinders Rangers).... hot day, lots of stationary wheelspin, 1 -2'nd gear for extended periods with very little bike movement. Admittely the bike did get quite hot but not as hot as expected.

If your one of those guys that is fairly concious of how the bike is travelling (you know your bike) then you should be able to manage it. When the clutch starts to get a bit sticky, etc, you should give it a bit of a rest. So long as your moving (be it slow) overheating shouldn't really be an issue. But if your stuck on a hill pushing the bike, revving the engine and getting nothing but wheelspin for extended periods, then yes it will get hot. Riding in summer may cause you a few issues on really slow sections.

I guess it comes down to what sort of riding / terrain your on. If your going to be tackling tricky uphills and your in the habit of bailing on the bike when it gets all out of shape (like me), your radiators are pretty vulnerable to side impact. If you ride rocky sections and lay it down, it doesn't take much of a hit to damage them either.

I used to ride a 650 Husaberg, which had serious boiling issues on anything slow (and no overflow). After a while my riding style just adapted to to accomodate the bike a little more. I'd never let it sit and idle, if I was revving it out pushing it up a hill, I'd shut it off at the top and give it a bit of a rest.

The thing I liked about NOT having the overflow was that I could see when it was spitting coolant out and take the necessary action.

Personally, I'd fit the radiator protection and adjust my riding to suit the bike a little. During winter, I can't see you having any issues on slow trails. You can also jet your bike a little on the rich side to keep things a little cooler.

Let us know how you get on!

Yam-Man
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro

I'm on an 07 YZ450 coming off a 525EXC and love it. I wouldn't bother with the fly wheel weight as the 07 doesn't seem to stall as easy as a typical motocrosser. I've ridden an 04' YZF and found that to stall much easier than mine.

I haven't had a problem with overheating at all, and I ride plenty of tight single track. This being the case I've also found to gearing to be spot on out of the crate. i was like you and going to change my front sprocket when i first got it, only they're different to the previous models and as I couldn't find one I didn't bother. As it turns out I'm glad that I didn't now. I would definitely be fitting an o-ring chain though.

Only other thing I'd add aside from what you've discussed would be some HD tubes.
Old 21-05-2007
dbw Pro

Talking yeah there's alot to be said about the cahin

i dont think that chain will last 4 month. and also ive found the bike easy to take off but harder to go slow,( so i try to go faster ) but goto expect that from a big engine. so far i love the bike , being easy to use.
Old 22-05-2007
dbw Pro Legend

jays22b,

What type of riding are you planning on doing?

Edit: as suggested above, don't go anywhere without upgrading the tubes to heavy duty or ultra heavy duty.... now why didn't I mention that in my first post!
Old 22-05-2007
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

don't bother with the flywheel weight as garbo says... if you do find first gear too tall then consider an auto clutch as it's a more complete solution. Other than that get your suspension revalved so it's more supple for bush work....

definately whack some bridgestone UHD tubes in front and rear as well...