dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 18-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I bought my 17 250 EXC second hand and it has a manual switch wired up to the bar. I want to wire it up to the bike to come on automatically. It is a Spal fan so I am pretty sure that is the stock fan that KTM put on the bike (Same brand that came with my Berg). The 17's dont have the provisions for a thermostat in the radiator and my mate just got an 18 500 and it plugs into the wiring loom. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get this fan to come on automatically for an electrical novice?

https://www.facebook.com/CayzerBoat

Old 18-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I think the new model 4 stroked (17 and 18) have a temperature sensor in the head that is why your mates fan on his 500 plugs into the wiring loom, it uses this temperature to determine when to operate the fan.

The 2 stokes don't have a temp sensor in the head (tpis might be different than carb version not sure) so if you have the correct fan it should have a small temperature sensor that is inserted between the fins of the radiator.
Old 18-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

The TPIs are the same as the 4strokes, there is a plug in the wiring loom ,4 Boltonís to the fan on the Radiater and just plug it in and your good to go.
Old 18-04-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
The TPIs are the same as the 4strokes, there is a plug in the wiring loom ,4 Boltonís to the fan on the Radiater and just plug it in and your good to go.
On the 2017 250 EXC-F, youíll need a CM1a-R-12V relay fitted to the unused relay socket sitting in the airbox to provide switched power via the KTM auxiliary plug directly to the fan motor. No temperature switch required. See earlier in this post for details.

AndrewKTM450
Old 18-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Electrical diagram for 2017 KTM

Yeah with my 350 the shop said itís pretty easy because the bike comes with the wire sitting under the seat just Plug it in, same as the tpi they said.

Also Iím talking about a genuine KTM fan, a lot cheaper and easier I believe.
Old 20-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewktm450 View Post
I'm after the electrical diagram for a 2017 KTM 250 EXC-F. The connector that supposedly supplies 12 v's to the fan isn't. What am I missing?
get the full manual (plus others) from here for a small cost.
https://kristofsx.com
Old 22-04-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
newer model KTM owner manuals no longer have the electrical schematics.For the last few years, at least.
This ^^^. They only exist in the factory workshop manual as a series of sub-circuit drawings. There's no overall total bike drawing AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoodle View Post
I bought my 17 250 EXC second hand and it has a manual switch wired up to the bar. I want to wire it up to the bike to come on automatically. It is a Spal fan so I am pretty sure that is the stock fan that KTM put on the bike (Same brand that came with my Berg). The 17's dont have the provisions for a thermostat in the radiator and my mate just got an 18 500 and it plugs into the wiring loom. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get this fan to come on automatically for an electrical novice?
You just need the isolating switch you already have and the inline t'stat from a 13-14 2T. That t'stat is a full load-current switch which requires no relay. Wire the lot up through a fuse to the 12V rail. Cheaper, lighter and less complicated than what they've gone to...whole show can be removed in 2secs.

The current bikes need to monitor coolant/upper cylinder temp for the FI so they can use the same data line to enable the fan as required. Cars have done this for 35 years.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Mystery reason for 2017 KTM 250 EXC-F stopping - HELP!

Iíd just finished fitting some new plastics & a clean air filter with the head light & tail light disconnected & started the bike as per usual to warm it up for an oil change. It ran perfectly for less than a couple of minutes & then stopped itself. Never done that before. Now it turns over but doesnít fire, same as if the kill switch is off. I plugged in the head light & tail light & the parking light doesnít illuminate when trying to start it. I think it does normally(?).
Iíve checked all 4 little fuses & the 2 bigger ones - all good. Battery is over 13.5 volts & could start a 747.
Nothing is jumping out @ me. Any suggestions or better still does anybody in the Illawarra, Shellharbour have a machine you can plug into the bike so it can tell me whatís wrong?

AndrewKTM450
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Tried a different spark plug?
Various unfinished projects

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.